1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

N-acetylcysteine (NAC)

Discussion in 'Sleep' started by Valentijn, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    From another thread, regarding NAC for sleep, etc:
    I take Jarrows extended release, 600mg. They are tablets, and not particularly big. I haven't noticed any smell with them, but they are rather tart in flavor.

I haven't noticed any detox effect, but I did start taking them pretty early on in my illness ... within a year of symptom onset, I think.
    ~ Ariel likes this.
  2. Legendrew

Legendrew

UK
    Sounds interesting - has this helped with other symptoms, sleep aside?
  3. ~ Ariel

~ Ariel

Cornwall, UK
    Hii, Valentijn,

Many thanks for your replies, and for moving the conversation here ! ~ Shall consider.
    For now, me PTSS (meaning: PTSD, except I do not resonnate with the word: " disorder" ;-) symptoms are SO acute, unwise to experiment ~using Avena Sativa (wild oats) & Passiflora herbal tinctures with a modicum of success re brain overdrive ~ all good wishes to you ! ~

Love you signature, btw ! ~ :cool:

PS ~ Have tried to reply you on the blog concerning GET etc, but for some reason, can't get in- puta glitch ? - I keep 404-ing ! - . Will try again later ~
  4. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    The "wired" sensation when my brain feels constantly over-stimulated.
  5. Legendrew

Legendrew

UK

Interesting. No effect on muscle fatigue, PEM, headaches and/or stomach upsets?
  6. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Nope.
  7. Legendrew

Legendrew

UK
    Fair enough - sorry if i'm derailing a little here. Just interested in drugs that people see benefit from and like to try and understand why that may be!
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    As for the "why", my best guess is that it lowers glutamate levels, by combining with with glutamate and glycine to form glutathione. In my case I do have elevated glutamate, as well as several rare SNPs on glutamate receptor and transporter genes.

Some people have low glycine instead of, or in addition to, low cysteine. Hence some do better with glycine instead, and some seem to need both.
    Mij and Beyond like this.
  9. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    What did you notice regarding sleep, Valentijn? Earlier onset of sleep, less wakings, more refreshing? NAC seems to be a very good supplement because it helps with various areas. It also helps with intestinal permeability and inflammation. And any boost of glutathione is very welcomed. :D
  10. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Easier to fall asleep, waking up a lot less, and easier to fall back to sleep. Basically my brain shuts down enough that it's possible for me to switch off and get some rest. It also helps during the day.
    Beyond likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.