• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC and methylfolate

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm going to be starting 5-MTHF next month per my doctor. I was looking around here and in one protocol it said do not take NAC because of glutatione. ( can't remember where I saw it).

Can someone tell me really dumbed down if that is true and why?

Thanks.

Martial

For some people depending on their genetic snp mutations NAC can cause a bad reaction and is known to lower b12 in an effort to reduce excessive non liver reduced glutathione in the body which NAVE creates.

Fred and a few others mention horrible reactions, and others say it helps them. Have you gotten a 23andME test done? This would help to know where you would need certain supplements, dosages, what to take, and things to avoid.

I believe its mentioned that people with CBS mutations are the ones that cannot tolerate NAC, If you have low b12 levels I would also not suggest it as it will further deplete them.

It may be best to start the methyl folate first for a bit of time, watch for reactions and then add in the NA and see if that causes any issues for you. If you do it all at once you won't know what is going on.

Here is a good page on methyl folate and things to look out for, keep in mind you may get a detox reaction so feel lousy while the body does clean up work, and potentially have inflammation from dealing with said toxins.

http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/

You should be taking methyl b12 alongside the methyl folate otherwise it can deplete b12 levels and they are both dependent on each other for absorption anyways.

Another great addition would be Adenob12, Just be sure to raise your intake for potassium as start up of methylation from the methyl folate may significantly lower your intra cellular potassium levels.

At least an 3000mg a day is said to be the normal standard for proper replenishing.. The RDV is 4000mg.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Martial That is not dumbed down enough.

I have been taking methyl b12 for years and I've been taking the NAC with no problems for about a month. I have also been taking molybdenum for 6 months for my CBS mutations. I have never had a problem with sulphur foods.

I had an appointment with my NP yesterday who has my 23andMe results and we are adding a tiny dose of methylfolate, Thornes 5-something or other.

I was looking around her to see what Freddd and RichVank recommend but there is no place where there is just a list of products so all the text melted my brain.

But in the middle of that something caught my eye about NAC and methylfolate. I don't understand methylation so I wasn't aware that "one size does not fit all".

Martial

@Martial That is not dumbed down enough.

I have been taking methyl b12 for years and I've been taking the NAC with no problems for about a month. I have also been taking molybdenum for 6 months for my CBS mutations. I have never had a problem with sulphur foods.

I had an appointment with my NP yesterday who has my 23andMe results and we are adding a tiny dose of methylfolate, Thornes 5-something or other.

I was looking around her to see what Freddd and RichVank recommend but there is no place where there is just a list of products so all the text melted my brain.

But in the middle of that something caught my eye about NAC and methylfolate. I don't understand methylation so I wasn't aware that "one size does not fit all".

Sorry about that, well if all you said is already in place I would say just add in the methyl folate but adjust to find a dose that works for you, some people get very strong detox or very intense feelings of over stimulation on higher doses.

If you feel it is ever too strong then drop the methyl folate for a few days and take niacin for those days to bring down the stimulation.

Other then that I would just take the dosage recommended by your doctor and if it doesn't feel too bad you can bump up the dose a bit, and if you feel horrible and can't handle the de tox then it may help to lower it.

Also take vitamin b2 in its bio active form as a supplement alongside the methyl folate. Adreno had told me that high doses of methyl folate alone can block the use of vitamin b2.He mentioned using at least 50mga day.

You also should be aware that the methylation supplements may lower your potassium so you may need to supplement it ti make up for that. Most people say they need at least 3,000mg a day to keep low potassium symptoms away.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
She wants me to take Thorne 5-MTHF. I did email her this morning to ask about when to take it and about the NAC and what you said.

RE: dosing she said yesterday to open the caps and take a really tiny amount, like a few grains. I did tell her I got confused last time I tried Freddd's on my own not knowing what to take with certain reactions. I felt really horrible with that which is why I stopped.

I'm not going to buy it until May so I have time to figure this out. I can open a cap, which is 100 mgs and see what it looks like so I can try to keep a consistent dose.

I have potassium so I should be fine if I need it.

The last time I took Niacin I had a really bad reaction to it and I can't tolerate some B's either.

Thanks for the help.

musicchick581

I took NAC for years and feel so much better off of it. I stopped it to detox sulfates as they were between >800->1200 morning and night respectively. I feel less pressure and stress off the NAC if that even makes sense.