• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

narcissistic parent

caledonia

Okay, I don't want to do too many things at once, so will hold off on the methylation side-of-things until I can get a 23andme test done.

In the meantime, I need to get my anxiety/sleep under control. I have some bulk Inositol arriving next week, so am looking forward to experimenting with that.

I wish I wasn't so sensitive to everything .. even Vitamin C makes me anxious these days; I just hope I can tolerate the Inositol.

Yes, I agree, it's better to try one thing at a time. It's also helpful to keep a symptom journal where you note what you started and when and then any symptoms good or bad. Start with low doses and increase gradually only if tolerated. This is called Start Low and Go Slow.

Here are a couple other simple things you can try for sleep and anxiety. One is to take some magnesium. Any form except magnesium oxide, which doesn't absorb well, is ok. So magnesium citrate, taurate or glycinate, etc.

The other one is to work on GABA/glutamate balance. They're neurotransmitters. GABA is calming, while glutamate is stimulating and can cause anxiety. You can take GABA, theanine or other calming supplements while reducing glutamate in the diet. Artificial glutamate, aka MSG, is added to a lot of processed food, and it's hidden with alternative names. It's easier to just avoid processed foods. Then there are 4 foods which are naturally high in glutamates which are peas, tomatoes, mushrooms and Parmesan cheese.

If glutamate is one of your problems, and you do the above, you should be feeling better within a week or so. Here is a link to more detailed info: http://www.dramyyasko.com/resources/autism-pathways-to-recovery/chapter-4/
The good info is towards the bottom under the heading "Maintaining a Health Glutamate/GABA Balance".

This is actually the first step in a Yasko type methylation protocol, but you don't need any testing to do it.

peggy-sue

:eek: peas, tomatoes, mushrooms and parmesan cheese.....

;) just add onions and garlic, why don't you? without these, life isn't worth living........ :p

caledonia

peggy-sue Oh I know, those are some of my favorite foods too, but it's worth it to not be anxious. Anyway, it's just temporary until you can get methylation working again, then your GABA/glutamate balance should work on it's own like it's supposed to. Or at least, that's what I tell myself to make it better. :)

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know that I sympathize with your situation. You mentioned you would like to go back to New Zealand. Is it possible to go back there, get on disability and get yourself a little place? That way you could focus on getting better without the stress of living with your parents.

I used to have a fair amount of anxiety, depression and moodiness. One thing that worked wonders for me was a dietary change. I basically went low-carb Paleo (meaning that I upped high-quality proteins and fats and cut grains, sugars and all processed foods) and it did wonders. There is a lot of evidence out there now that the brain needs high-quality fats as well as cholesterol to function well, and if by chance you are on a low-fat diet that could be a factor. It's something that's easy to try out: just have bacon and eggs for breakfast every day for two weeks and cut down on grains, starches and sweets and see if it helps!