• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nature: Psychological treatments: A call for mental-health science

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheshire

CBT isn't a magic insight in the human mind or a revolutionary technique. People seek therapy because they are unable to cope. The "science" of CBT itself offers not more than common sense could provide but having a therapist can help you when you are overwhelmed. I am not saying that no one ever needs a therapist or something like that.Emotional support can help.

You really managed to push me into playing the devil's advocate! :p

I agree with you that CBT is more or less common sense, that behaviorism core theory is very often simplistic and I don't want to support CBT more than needed.

I don't think CBT is a cure for anything, even psychiatric diseases that are organic disease IMO. But it can help cope, with basic and common sense tools that one can be deprived of due to various reasons. The therapist must be aware of his/her limits.

But I think you shouldn't be so hard on people who need at some point or another, these 'simplistic' tools.

chipmunk1

But I think you shouldn't be so hard on people who need at some point or another, these 'simplistic' tools.

if it genuinely helps them you can't argue with this.

I can see that there is a need for psychological support in serious chronic illness i just don't like the way certain therapies are promoted and the general philosophy they are based on. and that's just my opinion which really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

This thread is closed due to numerous personal attacks, arguing, and going hopelessly off-topic.

All the personal attacks and most of the off-topics posts have been removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.