• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new Alan Light paper... alpa-2a, glutocorticoid implication

lansbergen

Some people with CFS/ME and POTS have ganglionic acetylcholine receptor antibody.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17352367

I understand that it is a muscarine receptor. My immunemodulator acts on the a7 nicotine receptor.

As B1 cells pump out large amounts of none specific anitbodies there could be some that can bind to acetylcholine receptors.

Then there is less acetylcholine release and receptors blocked by antibodies.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
http://pharmacologycorner.com/alpha-receptors-1-2/

alpha_2_receptors.gif

Snow Leopard and lansbergen,

Give me some help on my speculation here, please. Speaking specifically about the Alpha receptors, would one want to damp down the receptor response by using a antagonist? If so, then that would increase acetylcholine and norepinephrine, correct? Any spec speculation on what else an antagonist might do?

That and a million other things (as is usual in biological systems). It's all speculation from here on out.

The first question that comes to mind is whether the increased Alpha-2A receptor expression is serving a positive response or not. But the only way you'd really find out is by using an antagonist and associating a reduced Alpha-2A receptor function with reduced post-exertion severity.

voner

Thanks. I'm sure this is much much more complex and we should use caution in individual interpretation of these receptor studies. I wrote a blog about a presentation given by Dr. Bateman in Denver this summer where she discussed the various results of earlier studies by Dr. Light. She showed slides for individual patients and it became pretty apparent that patient to patient the responses of these receptors after exercise varied immensely. While most of the patients (with ME/cfs and fibromyalgia and NO orthostatic intolerance) had a similar response of increased alpha-2a receptor expression, there was a subset of patients with ME/cfs and fibromyalgia AND orthostatic intolerance who had a decrease in alpha-2a receptor expression.

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...yndrome-subset-if-doctors-will-just-look-for/

The impression given was that this decrease in the alpha-2a receptor receptor expression was correlated with orthostatic intolerance. I remember she said that the patients averaged a increase in heart rate upon standing of 28 beats per minute, thus she was forced to not call it POTS, rather "orthostatic intolerance", although she indicated clinically and symptomatically it was all the same.

I suspect the doctor Light group is also trying to ferret out what is evidence of pain pathways being activated and what is the evidence of fatigue pathways being involved, if any.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
voner
Valentijn is the guinea pig. So far so good,

Nicotine can replace acetylcholine on the nicotine acetylcholine receptors.

I use an a7nAchR modulator and smoke like a chimey. It helped me a lot. Improvement is slow but steady. I am not cured yet but compared to what it was when I started it I went from hell to heaven.

Safer to use electronic cigarettes, I would think, and you can control the nicotine hit better with them.

Valentijn

The first question that comes to mind is whether the increased Alpha-2A receptor expression is serving a positive response or not. But the only way you'd really find out is by using an antagonist and associating a reduced Alpha-2A receptor function with reduced post-exertion severity.
I've been using the most potent antagonist, Yohimbe, and thus far it seems like it's reducing PEM. But I haven't really tried to provoke an episode, aside from a 10 hour flight + airport time (with wheelchairs).

voner

I've been using the most potent antagonist, Yohimbe, and thus far it seems like it's reducing PEM. But I haven't really tried to provoke an episode, aside from a 10 hour flight + airport time (with wheelchairs).

@Valentijn ..... How has your Yohimbe trial turn out? I would love an update...

Valentijn

@Valentijn ..... How has your Yohimbe trial turn out? I would love an update...
Still generally helpful, but doesn't prevent my episodes where I end up bedbound for a week or three due to intense OI. I had a couple of those happen a while ago, and had hoped that the Yohimbe was keeping them away! Still, I definitely do a lot better with the Yohimbe.