1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New PHANU study on microRNA markers

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by alex3619, May 11, 2012.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Cytotoxic lymphocyte microRNAs as prospective biomarkers for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

Brenu EW, Ashton KJ, van Driel M, Staines DR, Peterson D, Atkinson GM, Marshall-Gradisnik SM.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22572093

CONCLUSIONS:

Collectively these miRNAs have been associated with apoptosis, cell cycle, development and immune function. Changes in miRNAs in cytotoxic cells may reduce the functional capacity of these cells and disrupt effective cytotoxic activity along with other immune functions in CFS/ME patients.

There is someone I would like to thank for making me aware of this but I cannot name them due to privacy considerations - but thank you anyway.

Bye, Alex
    heapsreal likes this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

3. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Three more cheers for Bond Uni (soon to be somewhere else) gang!

I think I only understand about half the words in the abstract :confused:, but I get that these microRNA molecules are underexpressed in our cytotoxic cells. Do we know what these particular underexpressed microRNA molecules do (or should be doing if they were working)? Or we still at the we-don't-know-what-this-means-but-it-doesn't-look-good stage?
  4. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi SOC, close. I am monitoring the forums for responses to my blog - saw your message and replied within minutes. Oh darn, should have claimed I had precognition ... oh, well. Bye, Alex

PS My interpretation of what this means is that the NK cells and T cells both lack sufficient suppression leading them to be doing things they shouldn't be doing.

PPS To Little Bluestem in the next post, I laughed at precognitive dysfunction. ;)
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    Buts if you have ME/CFS, don't you have precognitive dysfunction?
    {Sorry, couldn't resist:p }
  7. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    This is interesting which also could explain the increased cytokine activity. I am still looking for a reason why reduced NK cell activity/numbers would correlate with increased cytokine activity and I don't think a Th2 shift can explain this. Maybe there is some sort of a feedback leading the body to cut back on NK cell numbers/activity as long as they are doing "things they are not supposed to do" and maybe they are partially responsible themselves for increased cytokine activity/secretion. cheers

See more popular forum discussions.