• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New to Duluth MN -Need rec'd on Docs and which health plan to choose

I have recently moved from Canada to Duluth, MN and am totally overwhelmed with where to start with medical. Luckily my husbands job at the university provides us with health care options, I just have no idea which one to choose? Being Canadian, this has never been something I've done.
I am having a hard time finding a doctor here that is ME/CFS literate or community here.
Can anyone lend a helping hand please??

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Welcome to the USA. :)

Here is a link that might help:
http://www.health.state.mn.us/macros/topics/healthcare.html

You also might want to look up hospitals in your area (nearest reasonably large city, even if it's Minneapolis) by the trauma rating of the ER (tends to correlate with the complexity of what all is offered there).

Find at least one (that is not Mayo Clinic) that has a Trauma 1 rating or at least Trauma 2, and a mulitspecialty clinic, and make sure that hospital is covered by one of the plans (since the ACA, this has been a problem where some plans are not covering any of the best hospitals).

You can also look up reviews (e.g.), but I don't know how much they are influenced by marketing. Also they are done by picking some certain things, like high blood pressure and diabetes, and checking to see what percentage of patients get the recommended medicine and procedures, and whether certain specific hospital procedures are followed (but not other important things, as they don't have time to check everything), and the like.

I find that the company I am happy with shows up in the middle of the list...... while the company who has the ER where I would die somewhere else before going back there, and 70% of the patients in my area shudder when they hear the name, always ends up with 5 stars and often in #1 spot.