• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new type of muscle spasms

Mithriel

My daughter is a trauma nurse and when I told her that I had a pain in my legs I could only describe as fizzing and popping like a shook up bottle of coke she said that was a classic description of a type of neuropathic pain.

Having ME doesn't mean we can't get MS or Parkinson's so it is always worth getting these things checked out, but as people here have found it can be a bad experience.

It makes me angry that we are dismissed because we do not have a symptom cluster they recognize as a particular disease when it is actually a symptom cluster strongly associated with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis for over half a century.

Just because they have decided to "not believe" in ME and thus ignore all the research and experience of both doctors and patients, they confidently assert we have a "functional disease", otherwise known as hysteria, when there is absolutely no evidence or even a plausible biological mechanism for hysteria to exist.

Mithriel

Mog

How do you know if you are potassium deficient?
My mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's several years ago, although there has been no history of it in the family. Her mother was ill for many years with what we now realise must have been M.E., although not diagnosed as such at the time. The M.E. or predisposition for it must have been passed on from my grandmother. Whether my mother's Parkinson's is linked or not, I have no idea. I sometimes see references to dopamine in the M.E. discussions but I'm not scientific enough to work out a connection, if any.

valentinelynx

My 2 cents. I used to get violent whole body spasms as I tried to fall asleep. It would be like someone would punch me in the stomach. With research I learned it was much like what is described as "propriospinal myoclonus". I had no clue what if anything to do about it, but it was very disruptive. If I tried to relax and fall asleep, it would hit. So I'd have to fall asleep while reading, in other words, slow down my sleep onset.

Here's the kicker, though: the symptom, the horrible spasms, completely went away, totally unexpectedly... when I decided to see what would happen if I stopped drinking diet sodas with aspartame in them! Not only that, but my frequent, week-long migraines went away as well. I had a pretty good diet soda habit: at least 6 cans a day, and in the middle of the night, as well. I had cravings. After reading about the potential problems with aspartame, I thought, why not see what changes if I quit? Wasn't easy to quit. I did not have any idea my myoclonus or migraines were aspartame related.

Aspartame (Nutrasweet) is the the primary sweetener in most diet beverages. The only caffeinated (I only like the sodas with caffeine) diet soda without aspartame is Diet RC and that is hard to find. Aspartame is excitotoxic, can cause seizures and headaches. I recommend anyone with chronic or frequent headaches or any kind of seizure-like disorder to try to quit ingesting anything with aspartame, just in case it is the cause. That includes things like Crystal-Lite and some diet shake mixes. I used to think people were overreacting about aspartame until I tested going off it myself. Then again, I used to think people with "chronic fatigue syndrome" were probably nuts. 'Til I got it myself. OK, enough poetic justice, already.

I too am experiencing muscles spasms all over.....pulling and tighting and it moves around...unable to sleep...it started when I accidently took two Hydrocodone apap 10-500 by mistake...thought I was taking famvir. But also I have just came off of Kelfex for a uti...maybe that caused it....please help pain is severe and cannot sleep! Also feels like something sticking in my muscles at times.

Knockknock

I can't speak for some of your symptoms justy, I only get rare arm or foot jerks, though when almost full asleep I do occasionally get a myoclonus full body jump.

The foot tapping thing I used to get a lot. I associate it with essential fatty acid deficiency. Try some fish oil, and if that doesn't work try a tiny dose of evening primrose oil.

During sleep one calf muscle can cramp so hard its a ball - fully round. It sticks out in a big lump. It doesn't like to release, and wont without stretching - which tears the muscle so that I limp for days. This is similar to your night cramp-like issue, but it might not be the same. Magnesium and calcium both help with that.

Bye, Alex

PS Based on some old research in South Austalia, half of us are potassium deficient on whole body measurement, even though our blood tests are normal.
i have gotten better on energy wise and other aspects but that's one thing i have not been able to solve muscle cramp, burn innmy case happens on the calf of my left leg, maybe i have a permanent muscle damage there...
it happens when i do a sharp move or a quick stretching it goes away, them come back...

any suggestions ????