• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(NLP) "Feasibility study for a community based intervention for individuals with severe CFS/ME" (UK)

CantThink

From the page Min linked:

It took Dr Fleming six years to recover back to full health. She became an active member of the National Task Force on CFS/ME. Her original article was titled ‘The Glass Cage’, referring to the frustration of being trapped by an illness which was invisible to others. In 2000, she published a sequel entitled ‘Beyond the Glass Cage’ in which she described her recovery. Dr Fleming’s conclusion expresses the power of accepting and understanding feelings within chronic illness. She writes:

‘One of the most powerful things ME taught me is that I can choose to change. I needn’t fear my weaknesses or my feelings: they are windows onto a garden of opportunity, beckoning me toward a wholeness that goes beyond my physical recovery’

My bolding.

Leopardtail

Give them no food and tell them hunger is only a matter of perspective and attitude. And when they react, tell them their reaction is proof of poor attitude.
AHEM - I think you meant to say "proof of defective illness beliefs" ;-)

Leopardtail

Another complete waste of UK taxpayers' money. We have had 30 years of this complete bollards instead of biomedical research.

Garbage in, garbage out
It's time to take out the trash Min...
dirty_harry-840x473.jpg

Leopardtail

On that page, at the top i noted - colorectal cancer, IBS, chronic back pain... All apparently are eligible for the emotional processing treatment.
Maybe finally people will start taking notice of these nuts and deal with them, cancer is the 'holy disease' in Britain that can't be shown this disrespect.

trishrhymes

I wrote an e-mail yesterday to Clare McDermott asking for the raw data from this study. I assume it's the same one, but it might not be. It doesn't mention NLP, as far as I can see, but it's the same people involved.

http://insight.cumbria.ac.uk/id/eprint/3074/1/Cox_FeasibilityStudy.pdf

See this thread.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rvention-for-adults-with-severe-cfs-me.53099/

Edit to add. I was visited a few times back in 2011 by Michelle Selby one of the organisers of this trial, who runs the Dorset ME service . At that stage she was doing pretty standard pacing and relaxation advice. We even discussed the PACE trial and she was critical, as was I, though I didn't know the half of it back then.

Then she got drawn into the Lightning process and I gave up on her. Note LP uses NLP I think. Not for me thank you!

Last edited: