• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Off to see KDM and starting IV antibiotics, right or wrong?

I am starting a 6 week IV antibiotic treatment in Belgium at Himmunitas ( kenny de meirlers clinic)
I am doing this for Borrelia ( lyme). However, i am getting cold feet. In Sweden they say tha you can have antibodies against Borrelia even if the active Borrelia is gone, which means that antibitics won't help.

I have already taken 4 months of oral antibiotics for borrelia with no luck.

I have also had Brucella, and Chlamydia pneuococcus, and HHV-6

Been sick for about four years with worsening symptoms, worse POTS and OI.

What if this is the wrong treatment and i am just showering my body with poison...

Q: Has anyone gotten better after IV antibiotics?

So greatful for answers, please reply!!

Love to all little sickies out there!

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
Hi Alexa,

I am also on IV ABX at Himmunitas. It is my first week after 3 month of oral ABX. KDM told me that in my case it will take 1 year to eradicate borellia. I will have 12 weeks of IV then oral till june next year.
I don't know when you are going to start, but there are a few patient at Himmunitas who can give their experience.
Untill now, i don't feel much improvment, but it isn't getting worse and i am not herxing to much.

Have a nice day

Clodomir

Legendrew

Do you know which antibiotic is being used or are you getting something of a mixture?

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
For long term abx, it is better to use IV, because, it do not affect the digestive system: stomac, liver, gut, etc...

vamah

I guess the question is how good a lyme test you had and are your antibodies going down or staying the same/increasing. If you still have antibodies, but they are going down then sticking with oral abx may be the right course. If the oral abx aren't helping then I would do the iv if you have a good doc advising you to do so.

I don't know how things are in Sweden, but in the US doctors told me repeatedly that the standard lyme test they run is the "gold standard" and only gives false positives. This is actually bullshit. The standard test will pick up new lyme infections but are not good for chronic infections. I finally decided to get a test from a specialty lab which is much better. The result, fortunately, was no evidence of lyme in my case. I have a friend, though, who lost a decade of his life to doctors who assured him he couldn't possibly have chronic lyme (the conventional medical wisdom here is that it doesn't exist). He would tell you to get the IV abx. It took him many years of oral and iv abx to get his lyme under control. Something like this is always a difficult decision because there are risks either way, but I would say that I think the lyme is more harmful than the abx.

By the way, are you being treated for the hhv-6? I ask because I have chronic hhv-6 that is not responding well to treatment and I am always curious what other people are doing for it. In your case, it may be that ,lyme has caused your immune system to be unable to fight other infections and, if you can get it under control, they may resolve on their own.

I guess the question is how good a lyme test you had and are your antibodies going down or staying the same/increasing. If you still have antibodies, but they are going down then sticking with oral abx may be the right course. If the oral abx aren't helping then I would do the iv if you have a good doc advising you to do so.

I don't know how things are in Sweden, but in the US doctors told me repeatedly that the standard lyme test they run is the "gold standard" and only gives false positives. This is actually bullshit. The standard test will pick up new lyme infections but are not good for chronic infections. I finally decided to get a test from a specialty lab which is much better. The result, fortunately, was no evidence of lyme in my case. I have a friend, though, who lost a decade of his life to doctors who assured him he couldn't possibly have chronic lyme (the conventional medical wisdom here is that it doesn't exist). He would tell you to get the IV abx. It took him many years of oral and iv abx to get his lyme under control. Something like this is always a difficult decision because there are risks either way, but I would say that I think the lyme is more harmful than the abx.

By the way, are you being treated for the hhv-6? I ask because I have chronic hhv-6 that is not responding well to treatment and I am always curious what other people are doing for it. In your case, it may be that ,lyme has caused your immune system to be unable to fight other infections and, if you can get it under control, they may resolve on their own.

what is hh-6 firstly

i am not being treated for the HHV-6, i think they view this as the lesser evil and have focused on the lyme. My swedish doctor even said that i should not worry about it since everyone has it , but KDM says that although everyone has it , people with ME have it in an active form and this is unusual.

Well my Lyme testing has been bad, many negativs and then a poitive test using antobodies. We ( me and KDM) have not monitored this, since i have only combated lyme for six months. He sais that basically none of his patients get rid of lyme/borrelia from oral antibiotics alone and that i can choose from about 3 years of oral or 6 weeks of IV.

But i am worried since i have read ( it was on the swedish news) that borrelia antibodies that hang around after an infections will no go away with antibiotics ( since they are fragmented?). the body should heal them by itself.

But unfortunately i don't think our bodies will heal by ourselves :(

i do trust KDM, but there is not a lot of data on IV for Borrelia and especially IV antibiotics in people with ME... and we are a strange category that respond differently to just about everything

3 years of oral abx?? You say you've already taken 4 months of abx - with no improvement. 3 years is an awfully long time to be on abx and it can cause damage to your gut and other organs. If I were you I'd do the 6 weeks IV and if there's no improvement - not even some kind of herx either - I'd pursue a different direction wrt seeking treatment for your illness.

Clodomir

Where is the sun?
But i am worried since i have read ( it was on the swedish news) that borrelia antibodies that hang around after an infections will no go away with antibiotics ( since they are fragmented?). the body should heal them by itself.

But unfortunately i don't think our bodies will heal by ourselves :(

i do trust KDM, but there is not a lot of data on IV for Borrelia and especially IV antibiotics in people with ME... and we are a strange category that respond differently to just about everything

That is why, KDM recommend to take biofilm defense, it helps to kill the spirochetes when your are on IV ABX. This product take the biofilm that is all around the spirochete so the ABX found the bacterie and kill them. If the biofilm is there, the ABX wouldn't find the bacteria.
The biofilm is a sort of invisibility cape.

Hope you understand , because my explanation is maybe a bit confused

Have a good day

Clodomir

cigana

I can only give my personal opinion. If I were you I would opt for the IV. KDM has a great deal of experience treating CFS patients for Lyme. IV is known to be the best option for the chronic form according to most LLMD's, see Burrascano's guidelines for example.
However, it is just what I would do personally.

I can only give my personal opinion. If I were you I would opt for the IV. KDM has a great deal of experience treating CFS patients for Lyme.
Agreed ... at some point, after being sick for however many years without anything better to try, a long term or IV course of antibiotics seems like a very reasonable treatment to give a chance.

Biofilm defense? KDM has not talked about this, I am on GCMAF, LDN, and probiotics, ( and tons of other supplements stuff)

where can i get this biofilm defense?

sometime i wish i could just take an antiviral/antibiotic mega shower and be done with it !