• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

One Uncertainty About the CBS Protocol Before Commencing...

caledonia

@caledonia - how do you know that you're ready to add Lecithin? My main ammonia / CBS symptom is brain fog & fatigue. I also experience joint pain and general aches, but the brain fog is the most stubborn.

Also, what kind of problems can adding it too soon cause? Symptoms?

thanks.

You can judge where you're at with CBS by using urine sulfate strips. When the sulfate levels get down low enough, you're done and can start to introduce methyl supps. Heartfixer suggests to stay on CBS supps though for another month.

If you tried to introduce lecithin now, you would probably get an increase in your CBS symptoms - brain fog, etc.

ebethc

You can judge where you're at with CBS by using urine sulfate strips. When the sulfate levels get down low enough, you're done and can start to introduce methyl supps. Heartfixer suggests to stay on CBS supps though for another month.

If you tried to introduce lecithin now, you would probably get an increase in your CBS symptoms - brain fog, etc.
@caledonia - do the sulfate strips indicate how well your brain is recovering from "marinating" in ammonia? My big problem is that ammonia is giving me brain fog, and I'm not sure that the test strips will show progress.... I've been on the protocol for ~2 weeks, and I still feel foggy

caledonia

@caledonia - do the sulfate strips indicate how well your brain is recovering from "marinating" in ammonia? My big problem is that ammonia is giving me brain fog, and I'm not sure that the test strips will show progress.... I've been on the protocol for ~2 weeks, and I still feel foggy

I suppose you could also do an ammonia test (blood test I think). Ammonia and sulfate go through the same pathway. People usually just use sulfate strips as a "poor man's" test.

If you know for sure your brain fog is due to ammonia, you can also use levels of brain fog as an indicator.

Just FYI it took me 12 weeks to get my sulfate levels down (longer than the predicted 8 weeks or so).

ebethc

I suppose you could also do an ammonia test (blood test I think). Ammonia and sulfate go through the same pathway. People usually just use sulfate strips as a "poor man's" test.

If you know for sure your brain fog is due to ammonia, you can also use levels of brain fog as an indicator.

Just FYI it took me 12 weeks to get my sulfate levels down (longer than the predicted 8 weeks or so).

@caledonia - thanks for sharing the timeline.. My doc said 4-6 wks, but knowing me, it will be longer! 12 wks sounds more realistic.. I'm not sure that the brain fog is 100% due to ammonia, but I think (hope??) that it will be a big help to clear ammonia.. I'm hoping I'll hit 80% improvement with clearing ammonia in brain fog, joint pain & fatigue..