• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Opportunity to nominate Dr. Nigel Speight for Pride of Britain award

JoanDublin

Hi everyone.

Someone I follow on twitter is trying to drum up support for nominations for Dr. Nigel Speight for a Pride of Britain Award under the Lifetime Achievement category. The link below explains it and how to nominate.

Dr. Speight, as many of you know is based in the UK and has dedicated his professional career to caring for and advocating for young people with ME. He has also made himself available for a second opinion in the Karina Hansen case and is awaiting a decision on that.

All in all he is a great advocate for this illness and is a compassionate and kind individual. His work supporting and advocating for young people with ME has been truly heroic over the years.

Many thanks

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s2care?new_post=true

Last edited:

JoanDublin

I have been in contact with Dr NS recently over a case and he is marvellous and well deserves this award. I hope lots of us support this endeavour.

C.G.
I agree. I had a consultation with him about my young lad in Dublin in April and I did say if ever there was anything I could do .... :) Wonderful man. Full of integrity. It's also a great opportunity to get ME/CFS in the public eye from a trustworthy source

shahida

He could just as easily not bother and just go into retirement but his compassion and humanity wont let him. Spread the word!

JoanDublin

Im just bumping this up as a reminder. Tomorrow is the last day for nominations. Remember you dont have to know Dr. Speight personally - just the fact that you are aware about his great work and advocacy for ME and for his young patients is enough. Thanks again
Here is a direct link to the Pride of Britain site where you can do your nomination

http://www.prideofbritain.com/#nominate

JoanDublin

Just to give you an idea of what you could write (or a variation of it) in the reason why you want to nominate him, this is what one nominee wrote "For his amazing work as a paediatrician, his involvement with vulnerable young people and his outstanding support in general to children and young people suffering from M.E. Also for his activity as medical advisor for The ME Association, The 25% Group, TYMES Trust, and the MEA of Wales, his previous activity as patron for AYME and his contribution to M.E research"

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
How are the 'winner's' chosen?
Is it a volume count? Or are there other considerations?

They seem to want to know an awful lot about you (there are a lot of field's that are mandatory to fill in).
Who exactly is this information being shared with?

JoanDublin

How are the 'winner's' chosen?
Is it a volume count? Or are there other considerations?

They seem to want to know an awful lot about you (there are a lot of field's that are mandatory to fill in).
Who exactly is this information being shared with?
Hi
I really dont know the answers to those questions. I guess its to make sure you are a bona fide person and not someone repeatedly nominating someone? You know, one nomination per person sort of thing? I dont live in the UK so only know about the event through TV and also the fact that someone I know on Twitter asked people to nominate Dr. Speight. As I'd recently met him and been helped by him I thought, sure why not :)