• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pain in the abdominal wall vs. abdominal pain

Sinclair

During my journey, problems in my gut have been constant. I may identify IBS as a condition that preceded the viral trigger in 2010 of my current condition.
Thus it was amazing for me to hear from a gastro Dr. (the fourth one in three years) that part of my pain in the abdominal area was originated in the abdominal wall (group of muscles) and not in any abdominal organ.
I think he was right and he made a point that none of my previous gastro drs. had made.
Since "Myalgic" is part of the name of this condition, it shoudn't be surprising. We expect to have pain in the muscles, in many ones.
But making the differentiation the Dr. did is not an easy task and I suspect there may be a relationship between the two different kind of pains.
What is totally true for me is that when I overexert myself, a part of my body that hurts the most as restraining any other further movement (frequently associated with cough and nausea), is my abdomen. Thus something happening in my abdomen or in my abdominal wall is significantly restraining my activity threshold.

Here is a useful summary on abdominal wall pain: http://www.med.unc.edu/ibs/files/educational-gi-handouts/Chronic Abdominal Pain.pdf

I'd appreciate any insights regarding this.

lansbergen

Thus it was amazing for me to hear from a gastro Dr. (the fourth one in three years) that part of my pain in the abdominal area was originated in the abdominal wall (group of muscles) and not in any abdominal organ..

I think he is right but only part of the pain. Don't forget there are muscle cells in the intestine wall. With overall improvement pain mostly disappeared from the deeper parts and now mostly is in my bellywall. There it is easier to follow. The same happened with the thorax and my lungs are clearly healing now.