• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Petechia - tiny red spots - mainly on arms (burst blood vesels)

lansbergen

I think that since we are sick we pay way too much attention to any detail in our bodies, things that usually passed unnoticed in healthy people, but they sure have it too.

Years ago I checked it in the animals. They appeared only when the infection acted up.

I do not see it as bad, For me it is just one of those things that can happen with an infection.

Sherezade

"
[quote="Sherezade, post: 346606, member: 6617 we pay way too much attention to any detail in our bodies

I didn't pay enough attn. to my body. That's how I got in this state. I pushed myself too hard, in every way, over 5 decades. So yes, if we have some new symptom far out of the ordinary for us, it's good judgement to note it & inquire. I- and we all- also have the right to an answer to a question about any symptom manifesting. We pay doctors, not vice versa.

Additionally, considering the fact no entity has found a CAUSE for ME, much less a cure (with very good theories out there, & good results from some trmts), this site helps empower us all with our own "anecdotal" evidence. We're the ones invested in causes and cures. So if someone wants to post about little red spots or strange beings seeming to land on one's rooftop at midnight, I say all power to us.

Because after the egregious medical shove-off the vast majority of we MEers went & still go thru- left in our homes suffering, or on the job barely making it or getting fired, hard-won careers lost (that took decades to build, in my case), then denied the basic safety net of food & shelter (never mind medical care) via SSDI, et al., & the charming now-increased likelihood of a variety of nasty diseases statistically tied to ME onset, and/or the untimely deaths via suicide (just 1 leading ME mortality cause), and after so much more anyone with this could write however long before brain fog takes over & fingers slip off the keys, frankly, I'm surprised I haven't read any whining, hypochondria, or otherwise here.

If my platelets are too low- & they are- & others' are too, it's sound information. We don't know what posts in which forum will trigger focused research on our part that might lead to quality of life again. Today I read someone's words about Sjogrens. They rang the proverbial bell. Maybe a -yeah, proverbial missing link, in my case, or hers, or his, or. The only one in charge of my medical care now is me.

I would not be surprised if one of us actually finds the cause or cure. As noted in posts around the site, an overwhelming majority of doctors- incl., & especially, psychiatrists- have a staggering dearth of education about ME. So it's us- right here- educating ourselves and interested parties about this devastation likened to last stage AIDS. I took care of a man with AIDS to his death. He didn't have to crawl to the bathroom.

I hope the point is well-taken.

Oh, lastly, born with a blood disorder, I wonder if anyone else posting here has one. That, too, is helpful information.

Cheers, from Petechiaeland.[/quote]

I know that extreme susceptibility is part of the illness too, maybe you want to talk about that as well. I'm open to discuss that too.

Anyway, with my post i just wanted to ease the mind of those who have petechiae since it's a "symptom" that in 99% of the cases means nothing. As i said everyone in the world had a trombocytopeny at some point of their life.

That's my opinion, if you have a different opinion and choose to worry about petechiae, that's your choice and you are entitled to it.

:)

Crux

Hi;
There are multiple causes for thrombocytopenia, pancytopenia, etc. B12/Folate deficiency is one of them. Petechiae is associated with thrombocytopenia.

So, my best guess is that petechiae may be associated with B12/folate deficiency, since it has helped in my case. (My platelets were lower normal at one time, but were not low.)

http://bestpractice.bmj.com/best-practice/monograph/823/diagnosis/step-by-step.html

overtrain

Medical Mafia needs to die via this virus.
I didn't pay enough attn. to my body. That's how I got in this state. I pushed myself too hard, in every way, over 5 decades. So yes, if we have some new symptom far out of the ordinary for us, it's good judgement to note it & inquire. I- and we all- also have the right to an answer to a question about any symptom manifesting. We pay doctors, not vice versa.

Additionally, considering the fact no entity has found a CAUSE for ME, much less a cure (with very good theories out there, & good results from some trmts), this site helps empower us all with our own "anecdotal" evidence. We're the ones invested in causes and cures. So if someone wants to post about little red spots or strange beings seeming to land on one's rooftop at midnight, I say all power to us.

Because after the egregious medical shove-off the vast majority of we MEers went & still go thru- left in our homes suffering, or on the job barely making it or getting fired, hard-won careers lost (that took decades to build, in my case), then denied the basic safety net of food & shelter (never mind medical care) via SSDI, et al., & the charming now-increased likelihood of a variety of nasty diseases statistically tied to ME onset, and/or the untimely deaths via suicide (just 1 leading ME mortality cause), and after so much more anyone with this could write however long before brain fog takes over & fingers slip off the keys, frankly, I'm surprised I haven't read any whining, hypochondria, or otherwise here.

If my platelets are too low- & they are- & others' are too, it's sound information. We don't know what posts in which forum will trigger focused research on our part that might lead to quality of life again. Today I read someone's words about Sjogrens. They rang the proverbial bell. Maybe a -yeah, proverbial missing link, in my case, or hers, or his, or. The only one in charge of my medical care now is me.

I would not be surprised if one of us actually finds the cause or cure. As noted in posts around the site, an overwhelming majority of doctors- incl., & especially, psychiatrists- have a staggering dearth of education about ME. So it's us- right here- educating ourselves and interested parties about this devastation likened to last stage AIDS. I took care of a man with AIDS to his death. He didn't have to crawl to the bathroom.

I hope the point is well-taken.

Oh, lastly, born with a blood disorder, I wonder if anyone else posting here has one. That, too, is helpful information.

Cheers, from Petechiaeland.

I know that extreme susceptibility is part of the illness too, maybe you want to talk about that as well. I'm open to discuss that too.

Anyway, with my post i just wanted to ease the mind of those who have petechiae since it's a "symptom" that in 99% of the cases means nothing. As i said everyone in the world had a trombocytopeny at some point of their life.

That's my opinion, if you have a different opinion and choose to worry about petechiae, that's your choice and you are entitled to it.

:)[/quote]

99% of the cases "mean nothing" in CFS? Or in the general population?

In this thread, people posted they don't have them, or they do & increased at CFS onset, or right before, or in association with mono, and in animals w infection. Others have folate/b-12 theories, antioxidant theories, etc. Therefore, the red dots actually do 'mean' something here.

Words like "worry" & lines like "we pay way too much attention to any detail in our bodies" sound like a doctor's brush-off aimed at disempowering inquiry, & also veers into the Don't worry your purty 'lil head territory. Silencing.

Though, of course, you meant the opposite, as you say. Is there anything else symptomolgy-wise correlating to CFS that wasn't a concern for you? In your case or in the illness CFS/ME in general?

Just curious.

Sparrow

Okay...I just broke out in a new wave of these this evening, all over one of my hands and that forearm. ...Like, ALL over it. Tons and tons of them. One hand is normal now, and the other is a sea of dots. WTF? Has anyone else had that many appear all at once? Anyone figure out what caused the onslaught? *sigh*

I know it's probably nothing serious, but I would sure like to know what the heck caused that.

camas

Okay...I just broke out in a new wave of these this evening, all over one of my hands and that forearm. ...Like, ALL over it. Tons and tons of them. One hand is normal now, and the other is a sea of dots. WTF? Has anyone else had that many appear all at once? Anyone figure out what caused the onslaught? *sigh*

I know it's probably nothing serious, but I would sure like to know what the heck caused that.
Hi Sparrow,

There are lots of rashes and lesions associated with mast cell disorders. I believe most are caused by excess histamine (hives or urticaria pigmentosa) and/or excess heparin which causes the blood vessels to leak. Doctors dismissed my spots for 30 years, but they turned out to be the key to my diagnosis of TMEP Mastocytosis. I also have a number of cherry angiomas which are very common, but are known to contain mast cells. Just a thought!

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I had petechiae after a severe episode of hyponatraemia (low blood sodium). Following a complete lack of sensible diagnosis for the cause of either, I worked out that they were symptoms of over-exertion for me. Mine bled when rubbed.

Phred

I haven't read the whole thread, but I had petechiae as a teen. It was caused by Chronic ITP (idiopathic/immune thrombocytopenia purpura). I had low platelets and couldn't keep them abouve the teens unless I took large doses of prednisone. I finally had to have my spleen removed to fix the problem. I was one of the lucky ones for whom that worked. My platelets have been in the 400's ever since. I don't know. I spent much of my teenage youth in and out of hospital because of all that. I'd get petechiae checked out. JMHO though.

Art Vandelay

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I found this very interesting. Straight after getting EBV, I ended up getting petechiae on my upper arms and around my knees and ankles (which are still there). I also developed cherry angiomas across my torso. They weren't there prior to my illness. A friend with ME/CFS also had a lot of angiomas.

As I've always thought that there's a bacterial infection component to my ME and I have a positive Lyme test, that list of infectious causes of petechiae is very interesting in particular.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Finally i found out what the name is! And this thread

Ive had this small patch on my arm for half a year, sometimes it gets light red and sometimes its barely visible. If i stretch my skin it goes away, so seems like its related to blood vessels

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
Just an update from me

The dermatologist had no idea what it was, and didnt think they would find out if they took a skin sample either :rofl: Well then.. Can I ever get something doctors can help me with:rolleyes:

bread.

my body especially my arms are full of oinprick sized petechiae, unfortunately it keeps getting slowly worse for months, idk ...

Booble

Resurrecting this thread because I have tons of new little petechiae blood pinpricks appearing on my inner arms. :( They tend to not go away so I don't like accumulating this many all at once.

Anyone else? I re-read this whole thread to help reduce the worry.

Booble

Same here unfortunately. Don't know what to do about it.

Hey, Bread. Just looking to commiserate with someone on the petechiae. I hate looking at my inner arms and seeing more and more. When I'm out in the sun they are very noticeable.

They don't ever go away so maybe they are cherry angioma that are looking like pinprick petechiae?

Last edited:

RyeRyeBread

In this thread, people posted they don't have them, or they do & increased at CFS onset, or right before

Just posting this here to state that I, too, didn't have petechiae prior to being ill. I had a mono infection, developed petechiae, then ME.
I wonder if developing petechiae during an infection could be correlated with the likelihood of developing ME/CFS, from said infection?

This thread is old but I figured I'd post here as new people may find there way here, too 😊

bread.

Hey, Bread. Just looking to commiserate with someone on the petechiae. I hate looking at my inner arms and seeing more and more. When I'm out in the sun they are very noticeable.

They don't ever go away so maybe they are cherry angioma that are looking like pinprick petechiae?

Still getting more? For me they constantly,but slowly so increase in numbers. How severe are you?

linusbert

i am also in the red spot club.
got them after having my first crash, since 6 years they are slowly increasing in numbers.
mine are mostly on upper arm and biceps. size of a pencil tip or even smaller, size varies. normal people wouldnt see them without getting close to look. on a picture they are almost invisible. also distribution is random.

in a fullgenomes dna test i got one gene for blood clotting disorder homozygote (rs6025 A;A). but i did not get this in less comprehensive 23andme and much more comprehensive nebula dna tests. so it could be wrong. my blood work also doesnt suggest this. though i get sometimes nosebleeds easily.
(if i had to recommend i would go with nebula for dna testing, but in general i would not recommend to get dna sequenced at all, you get just garbage information and nobody helps with interpretation - i say this after doing 3 different genome sequencings)

regarding the doctor and this "more than 3 symptoms = whacko" approach. in germany they do this too.
and its kinda insane because every sickness has more than 3 symptoms.
just saying, nose congestion + breathing difficulties + cough + sore throat + fever + headache ... is what basically a normal flu looks like.
what they actually mean is, when you have more than 3 symptoms and the doctor is lazy or just doesnt know better what sickness you got you are a whacko. i noticed that doctors are projecting a lot!
having more than 3 symptoms is perfectly fine if he can think of a real sickness.

so the diagnosis "whacko" or hypochondria more rather is a diagnosis for the doctors competency.