• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll on blood pressure

What is your blood pressure type (please select closest/commonest if it varies)?

• Total voters

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I wonder if it is a consequence of ME or could it be an entirely separate condition?
I believe that my Mast Cells are now constantly pumping out lots of chymase, which acts the same in producing hypertension as does the more usually involved ACE.

This happened 4 years into being sick.

Sherlock

I wonder if it is a consequence of ME or could it be an entirely separate condition? It is rather scary!

I believe that my Mast Cells are now constantly pumping out lots of chymase, which acts the same in producing hypertension as does the more usually involved ACE.

Btw, estrogen might inhibit this, so maybe for some menopause is involved.
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/11/17/HYPERTENSIONAHA.114.04238.abstract

Countrygirl

Just had to look that up,Sherlock.

Chymases (EC 3.4.21.39, mast cell protease 1, skeletal muscle protease, skin chymotryptic proteinase, mast cell serine proteinase, skeletal muscle protease) are a family of serine proteases found primarily in mast cells, though also present in basophil granulocytes (e.g. alpha chymase mcpt8). They show broad peptidolytic activity and are involved in a variety of functions. For example, chymases are released by mucosal mast cells upon challenge with parasites and parasite antigens promoting an inflammatory response. Chymases are also known to convert angiotensin I to angiotensin II and thus play a role in hypertension and atherosclerosis.[1]

Because of its role in inflammation it has been investigated as a target in the treatment of asthma.[2]

We have this list of symptoms for mast cell disorder on here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/me-cfs-is-a-mast-cell-disorder-hypothesis.18437/

The list is very familiar. I note it also includes
  • hypercholesterolemia I am diagnosed with this. How many of us have this too? Is it common in our patient community?
  • hyperbilirubinemia which Dr Shepherd said was found in 16% of us many years ago. Perhaps it isn't sufficient to be of significance.
  • I think most of us can unfortunately lay claim to many if not most of the others on the list.

Countrygirl

Btw, estrogen might inhibit this, so maybe for some menopause is involved.
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/11/17/HYPERTENSIONAHA.114.04238.abstract

In other words, we ladies of a certain age are....................stuffed. I really must get a wiggle on with re-writing my will then. Speaking of which...........and totally off topic..........which are the best ME charities to mention in our wills? I can think of.............................one................maybe two. Sorry, that is really is very off topic and needs a separate thread.

Sherlock

In other words, we ladies of a certain age are....................stuffed.
Well, there are Mast Cell stabilizers... which hopefully can prevent this:
Cardiac mast cells: the centrepiece in adverse myocardial remodelling
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002871/

Countrygirl, you are the first one here to ever respond to anything I've said about chymase! :D

Did you get increased joint problems when your hypertension began?

[edit: study also posted in Mast Cell forum--> http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...iece-in-adverse-myocardial-remodelling.34800/ ]

Countrygirl

Sherlock, post: 543045, member: 3969"]Well, there are Mast Cell stabilizers... which hopefully can prevent this:
Cardiac mast cells: the centrepiece in adverse myocardial remodelling
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3002871/

Countrygirl, you are the first one here to ever respond to anything I've said about chymase! :D

People have told me that I am a 'one off', Sherlock. Frankly, I don't know quite how to take that. It seems that you are endorsing the accusation/compliment..................................(I doubt it is the latter................sadly!)

I am about to read your link above.

I don't know if other long-timers have experienced a change in the pattern of their blood pressure. For about 30 years of ME my BP was very low. Sometimes I could not even sit up in bed without blacking out and my BP would read about 60/50. Then suddenly the pattern changed and it shot up and I now have quite severe hypertension with readings sometimes of about 225/120 plus.
C.G.

Hi Countrygirl, I have been looking for answers and found your entry here. I am experiencing something similar, which seems to be untypical for ME. I used to have low blood pressure, actually in my first complete crash in 1986 my bp was so low the doctor said he was surprised I could get up, he said it was at the level that the body would supply only main organs. I think it was something like 60/40. Over the years it has normalized. But recently bp just shot up like crazy. I got myself a bp measuring device and sometimes it spikes up to over 200/100. I also had a 24 hour test.
The doctor wanted to put me on bp medication. But I think that is just very random, and I am worried that I will have negative reactions because I am very sensitive to medication.

Do you still have those bp issues and /or what are you doing to manage them?

Countrygirl

Hi Countrygirl, I have been looking for answers and found your entry here. I am experiencing something similar, which seems to be untypical for ME. I used to have low blood pressure, actually in my first complete crash in 1986 my bp was so low the doctor said he was surprised I could get up, he said it was at the level that the body would supply only main organs. I think it was something like 60/40. Over the years it has normalized. But recently bp just shot up like crazy. I got myself a bp measuring device and sometimes it spikes up to over 200/100. I also had a 24 hour test.
The doctor wanted to put me on bp medication. But I think that is just very random, and I am worried that I will have negative reactions because I am very sensitive to medication.

Do you still have those bp issues and /or what are you doing to manage them?
Hello Mary,

Yes, I still have the problem and I have not solved it. It is the sudden bouts of malignant hypertension that are so damaging, and I have found no answer to them. I was warned that to treat it like essential hypertension would make the scary huge rapid hikes in BP more likely to happen. At the moment I am taking nothing although my GP thinks I am taking Ramipril. I am just uncertain what to do for the best.