• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Positive EBV antibodies, but negative PCR

Soundthealarm21

I've had positive Epstein-Barr titers (all 4 of the panel every single time) for at least a year and probably more, but I don't have blood tests going back farther than that because I only got sick to the point of having to stop life last year in March.

I just had my results for EBV PCR test come back negative. I'm sure my doctor will have more explanation about it next time I see him, but in the meantime has anyone had this happen or know what it means?

Does having the PCR negative mean that there is no EBV, but my body is just making antibodies?

I know EBV can cross react with HIV and CMV, but I have neither of those two. I'm just really confused about what all that means.