• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potassium.

Fuzzyhead

Anyone ever had high levels of potassium? I had my bloods took last week becasue i didn't feel well and i have to get my potassium levels re tested again on friday. I have been following the palao diet for a year and i am worrying that high levels of kale/spinach, coconut water, fresh orange and soluble painkillers have done this. I keep feeling sick and have right sided back ache. Really worried my kidneys are damaged.

halcyon

What tests did they do on your recent blood draw? If the potassium level test was part of a complete metabolic panel (which they should have done if you're not feeling well) then it should also have some kidney function results on it as well (BUN, creatinine, GFR).

Fuzzyhead

Hi i just got a phone call to have my potassium levels done again on friday so i am assuming the others were ok or i would have thought they would have wanted to see me before. I am going to ask the nurse on friday about the rest when she takes my blood.
I had the full blood profile took LFT etc.

halcyon

OK. I'd get a copy of all the results just for peace of mind.

Assuming your kidneys are functioning well, you're not taking any medications that interfere with potassium excretion, and you don't have hypoaldosteronism, you would have to ingest a ton of potassium in one sitting (I'm talking like 8+ grams) to cause a problem.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's very possible to cause a falsely elevated potassium level during the blood draw if done improperly, e.g. having you pump your fist or leaving the tourniquet on while drawing the blood.

Fuzzyhead

She did struggle actually to get my blood, she couldn't find the vein and she dropped the first syringe and then had to get another one and the tourniquet was on the whole time. The second one then popped out while the tourniquet was on and blood squirted everywhere. I asked her if she had enough in the 3 tubes and she said yes i will pour some in out of another tube.

halcyon

Lovely. That could have done it then. When you go in for the next draw make sure you're nice and hydrated and hopefully get a different phlebotomist. ;)

Fuzzyhead

I hope it is just that because i am a worrier and google things and have myself on deaths door.

BadBadBear

She did struggle actually to get my blood, she couldn't find the vein and she dropped the first syringe and then had to get another one and the tourniquet was on the whole time. The second one then popped out while the tourniquet was on and blood squirted everywhere. I asked her if she had enough in the 3 tubes and she said yes i will pour some in out of another tube.

Wow, that's crazy. You should insist on a retest, hopefully with a better phlebotomist!

Fuzzyhead

I am getting it retested in the morning. I didn't think anything of it because it doesn't bother me getting bloods took but it did take her a while to do it.