• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prednisone and Pregnenolone

acrosstheveil

My doc gave me prednisone to take (20mg/day in the mornin) and it works amazingly well. I know prednisone has some serious side effects and since I have lyme, I am scared to take it daily. I have only taken it once.

I have heard pregnenolone is also good for addressing autoimmune conditions in doses of 100-200 mg per day. Does anyone have experience with it? Anything else I might consider for severe autoimmune / intolerance issues.

ukxmrv

I found that Pred did give me boost but it wore off within the first month and then left me with a severe PEM with severe weakness and viral symptoms.

I took a combo of Preg and CoQ10 each morning for about a year. It was giving me a little more strength and then I ran out of money. I wasn't getting PEM from this combo at 100mg of each.

acrosstheveil

i'm feeling really weird today and crazy....not healthy. I only took 5mg prednisone today after coming in contact with a known trigger at work. ugh.

Ema

I'm not sure why your doctor prescribed prednisone or if that health concern supersedes the Lyme, but I would also be concerned about taking a pharmacological dose of steroid long term. I wouldn't want to take much more than 5 mg on a daily basis unless there was an acute problem needing immediate treatment.

acrosstheveil

i agree. I think I'm going to save it for emergencies. There is a show (Trey anastasio) I would like to attend at the end of next month. Unfortunately, I know for a fact that there will be allergy triggers there (possibly severe). I wonder if I could take my prednisone before the concert so I could at least attend one social event this year...