• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prevalence and predictors of recovery from chronic fatigue syndrome in a routine clinical practice

Dolphin

I totally agree about the problems with definition and study design - sorry I did not note that - to me it was a given that those were of great concern.
Ok, thanks.

Is there a move afoot to gather these questions and concerns and ask Chalder about them or is that a laughable idea?
The journal doesn't take letters to the editor. Perhaps somebody will post a critical comment on PubMed Commons when it goes up on PubMed. Trudie Chalder will have heard a lot of the criticisms already when they were made with regard to the PACE Trial which had many of the same flaws.

Chalder: 19% recovery from chronic fatigue with CBT, and 15% in CDC defined CFS, a placebo is MORE effective !!

"While 72.2% met the Oxford criteria for CFS at pre-treatment assessment, 53.1% did so at the 6-month follow-up (Pearson chi square = 19.5, df = 1, p < 0.001).

Likewise, chi-square revealed a significant reduction in prevalence from 52.6% of the participants meeting the CDC criteria at the pre-treatment assessment to 37.5% at the 6-month follow-up (Pearson chi square = 16.8, df = 1, p < 0.001).

my PS: Oxford criteria = chronic fatigue, not CFS or ME !!
CDC criteria = CFS, not ME !! *

So Chalder admits, CBT is useless !!

more @: http://niceguidelines.blogspot.com/2014/10/chalder-19-recovery-from-chronic.html