• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Quercetin's Effect on Mitochondial Production & Fatigue

Biarritz13

Hi, the only problem I have with quercetin is that is it slows phase one liver detox. When I was taking it at "therapeutic doses" my phase one detox was at the lowest on the scale. I then looked up quercetin, and yes, it can do that. So if you want to slow down phase one, great. If it is too slow or mid-range, it might slow it even more.

Sushi

Sorry to bump an old thread but how do we know if phase one is already slow? Thx.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Sorry to bump an old thread but how do we know if phase one is already slow? Thx.
There are labs that test the phases of liver detox but you don't know for sure what is involved in the results. In this case, I had read that quercetin was known to slow down phase one liver detox and assumed that since I had been taking "therapeutic doses" of it for some time, it was likely to have played a part in my very slow phase one results.

It would be hard to get test results for liver detox when we weren't taking anything (a baseline test), since most of us are taking various things all the time.

xrayspex

@PhoenixBurger if Quercetin worked for you and your mitochondria issues have you ever tried PPQ ? It is supposed to be even better for mitochondria biogenesis.

For most other pple with CFS and PEM it its RALA, ALCAR, Ubiquinol that should work. These are what I think most pple with the more common CFS respond to. I am curious to hear about those who do not respond to these supplements.

quercetin is one of the few supps I have taken for many years. I think it helps mitigate slightly histamine responses. I also think though that a side effect is that it increases a certain type of fatigue slightly by maybe lowering my b/p more than it already is.

I was going to come on and post about it today to see what alternatives are if one has had positive response from it. I thought about nettles but when I have had nettle tea I didn't notice anything great and didnt like it............can't take bromelain or pineapple if that relates.

I am curious about PPQ you mentioned--what food sources are there and what do you think is best brand of artificial source supp?

xrayspex

Ok, just have to run this one by you smart people.

I was taking some adrenal support and added LDN. Resulted in all-over body itch and constant high pulse...as in, 150 after a shower and resting rate never lower than high 90s.

Had to do something about the itch, researched and came up with quercetin. It totally stopped the itch. And I noticed a nice drop in heart rate after taking it. My quercetin also contains calcium, which I never supplement and don't get much through food.

So the next morning, noticing high heart rate, I supplemented 500mg calcium. Sure enough, resting rate back to high 70s! So I have continued this every day (quercetin and extra calcium) and have had some good energy levels and feeling better in general.

Also noticed better sleep when taking the quercetin early evening (always a plus for me).

So I guess I need the calcium. There are so many conflicting studies about calcium, I just don't know if I should continue it indefinitely. Just wondered if any else needs extra calcium or has had good results with quercetin?

I have been trying calcium again and have thought the d-glucarate form helps energy but its fine line where it crosses over and causes irritability and constipation , neither for which I have much patience for more of................

I just got some homeopathic cal/fluor because have been having good results from hylands zinc so I thought that might be a back door way in for me with the calcium too.

xrayspex

There are labs that test the phases of liver detox but you don't know for sure what is involved in the results. In this case, I had read that quercetin was known to slow down phase one liver detox and assumed that since I had been taking "therapeutic doses" of it for some time, it was likely to have played a part in my very slow phase one results.

It would be hard to get test results for liver detox when we weren't taking anything (a baseline test), since most of us are taking various things all the time.
on testing I was shown to be slow in phase 2 where things keep circulating too long and causing MCS....is it ok to slow down phase 1 in that situation do you think?

ryan31337

I was taking some adrenal support and added LDN. Resulted in all-over body itch and constant high pulse...as in, 150 after a shower and resting rate never lower than high 90s.

Had to do something about the itch, researched and came up with quercetin. It totally stopped the itch. And I noticed a nice drop in heart rate after taking it.

quercetin is one of the few supps I have taken for many years. I think it helps mitigate slightly histamine responses.

Does sound rather typical of MCAS experiences - pruritus and tachycardia probably a reaction to the the adrenal support/LDN and/or fillers in those pills. Quercetin is well known for mast cell stabilising activity, which would in turn reduce mediators like histamine.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I am curious about PPQ you mentioned--what food sources are there and what do you think is best brand of artificial source supp?

I think they meant PQQ. This is what I take:
https://www.amazon.com/PQQ-Mind-Neuroprotective-Cognitive-Support/dp/B00BQS87D2

The tablets are 20mg. I cut them and take 5mg before noon, never any time after noon, in order to avoid insomnia. If you don't feel any improvement in energy after taking 5mg for 3 days, increase to 10mg for 3 days.

Some people feel speedy or jittery on this, so be forewarned. I think it may be a matter of getting the dose right.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I was shown to be slow in phase 2 where things keep circulating too long and causing MCS....is it ok to slow down phase 1 in that situation do you think?
As I remember, several approaches have been used--either trying to speed up phase 2 or slow down phase one. I don't have the information at hand, but if it were me, I'd try to speed up phase 2 to deal with the traffic jam.

Paralee

A thought, some people can't take PQQ because of a previous fluoroquinolone poisoning, but then others can, I guess it's very individual. I can't.

Someone mentioned calcium, which I have to take daily with vit. D. Calcium was given a bad rap for a long time but for some people it does help, probably needs some D with it. It also needs to be taken 4 hrs away from magnesium because they use the same receptors.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Someone mentioned calcium, which I have to take daily with vit. D. Calcium was given a bad rap for a long time but for some people it does help, probably needs some D with it. It also needs to be taken 4 hrs away from magnesium because they use the same receptors.
I think it varies a lot with the individual - see https://examine.com/supplements/calcium/ for example.

Paralee

I think it varies a lot with the individual - see https://examine.com/supplements/calcium/ for example.
You're right @MeSci , I had too much calcium, got that fixed, then B6 toxicity pulled my levels down. I also can't take much if any magnesium. Meant to explain everyone is different but phone rang and distracted my focus.

Of course, that would have been redundant in a way, we all know we're all different.