• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Questions about food intolerance (grain)

NilaJones

Hello folks :).

After a series of experiments, it seems that I react to rice, not immediately, but after eating it for 5-6 days in a row. White rice, brown rice, certified gluten-free rice, all of those. I get increased inflammation and pain.

Any ideas what this might mean? If I eat it at amounts and frequency that don't cause noticeable symptoms, is that ok? Anybody have a similar experience? I am not sure what to do with this new discovery.

caledonia

Sounds like an IGG type intolerance, possibly caused by leaky gut. I got tested via the Allatess test and had 29 of these out of a possible 100. My naturopath had me avoid my food intolerances while working on the gut. Once you fix leaky gut, things should improve. I can eat most foods now without problems.

NilaJones

Sounds like an IGG type intolerance, possibly caused by leaky gut. I got tested via the Allatess test and had 29 of these out of a possible 100. My naturopath had me avoid my food intolerances while working on the gut. Once you fix leaky gut, things should improve. I can eat most foods now without problems.

Thank you, caledonia!

And I found the 4R writeup via your sig file, which I had not seen before :). It is lovely and clear, but I am having a bit of confusion in figuring out how to apply the method to my body.

I have already done step one (for most of my life, and def for the past month). Step two, the herbs and stuff -- do I need to test in order to know what to take and how much? I don't have any gut issues except for some food intolerances. So would I skip that and go right to probiotics?

(Is this a topic more suited for pm?)

NilaJones

Also, are the stool tests physically difficult? For example, my doc wanted me to do one, once, where you take stuff that gives you extreme diarrhea, and then, as doc put it, 'on the ninth bout of diarrhea, you take a sample'. That was too grueling for me to even consider at that time. Now, maybe... but I would have to plan ahead.

caledonia

Bad bugs in your gut will cause leaky gut and thus food intolerances, even if you don't have other overt symptoms like diarrhea.

You need to do stool testing to find out what the bad bugs are so you can do targeted herbs to kill them. If you just take probiotics, it won't be enough to crowd out the bad bugs.

You have to do all four steps or it may not work. If you haven't Removed the bad bugs, then you haven't completed Step One (even if you have cleaned up your diet and are gluten free etc.). But congratulations on at least doing that part which is a big step.

I mention particular tests in the document.

Now that I go back and read it, I think I should mention in Step One that this is where you would want to do the testing, and that would make it clearer.

Seven7

Seven
Hello folks :).

After a series of experiments, it seems that I react to rice, not immediately, but after eating it for 5-6 days in a row. White rice, brown rice, certified gluten-free rice, all of those. I get increased inflammation and pain.

Any ideas what this might mean? If I eat it at amounts and frequency that don't cause noticeable symptoms, is that ok? Anybody have a similar experience? I am not sure what to do with this new discovery.

I have always felt that I am going to die after I eat rice (Is very prominent food in my childhood to eat every day!!!!).
I tested positive for food allergy for Rice, so that was nice to confirm. I got a few other meals like that, never got gut symptoms from these foods (except a few on the list) my major symptom to the food allergy was the same as you described: inflammation and pain.

NilaJones

So, even just step one requires multiple tests?

How do people afford this? I mean this as a serious question -- not being snarky. On a monthly income of $500, how can someone do thousands of dollars worth of testing?

caledonia

Also, are the stool tests physically difficult? For example, my doc wanted me to do one, once, where you take stuff that gives you extreme diarrhea, and then, as doc put it, 'on the ninth bout of diarrhea, you take a sample'. That was too grueling for me to even consider at that time. Now, maybe... but I would have to plan ahead.

No they're not physically difficult unless you count gagging from the odor! I know, TMI! That's why I suggest putting some earplugs in your nose to block the smell.

Literally, you poop as normal, but in a little cardboard tray instead of the toilet, then scoop out a sample and put it in a vial filled with solution. Then you mail it off to the lab. If you can get over the gross factor, it's easy peasy.

caledonia

So, even just step one requires multiple tests?

How do people afford this? I mean this as a serious question -- not being snarky. On a monthly income of $500, how can someone do thousands of dollars worth of testing?

I think you can likely get by with one Doctors Data CSA test, which is the cheapest one. I know, still not necessarily affordable on $500 a month.

Or you can take a guess that you might have candida and just treat for that. Look at the Metametrix interpretation and see the best herbs to take for candida. Especially if you've ever taken antibiotics, or have skin or toenail fungus or a white coated tongue or other symptoms of candida.

NilaJones

Thanks for the more info :).

I have taken antibiotics in my lifetime, but not around the time of getting sick, never heavy-duty ones (just oral amoxicillin and the like), and I do not have those symptoms.

If I were to guess, I would guess parasites. I have done a lot of camping, drunk a lot of unflitered water, and I eat a huge amount of food compared to other people of similar body type and activity level, without gaining weight.

Is the DD one good for parasites? Or is there somewhere I should look at more lists of symptoms plus causes in case I am missing clues?

::slightly overwhelmed, but trying::

NilaJones

Thanks, lnester7 :). It is good to know we are not alone, yes?

Gluten gives me intense inflammation, starting about 45 minutes after eating a tiny speck. The rice is a mild increase, and I think it adds up if I keep eating it for days or weeks.