• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rash and Skin problems

Yes, my skin went a bit nuts at the same time the rest hit the fan. Mostly acne on my chest and back.

IreneF

Yes, I got some mysterious rashes, and my skin has become much more sensitive. I can't wear earrings anymore. Most sunscreen makes my skin burn. I wash my face with Cetaphil.

Allyson

Hi everybody, do you have skin problems like, pimples, eczeem, rash etc.. during you illness with CFS?
yes i get a red raised rash on the top of my upper arms like permanent goosebumps

not itchy or painful and lways bilateral

it goes away in summer and comes back in winter

took me ages to find it was a symptom of both ME (and another syndrome)

and that it is called Keratosis Pilaris

I also get easy bruising and petechiaie, frequent small nosebleeds and slow wound healing

I am told this is all due to weakened blood vessels and/or the connective tissue surrounding them

the same thig that causes POTS/OI on a larger vessel causes this effet in a smaller vessels

my sister had excema and my mother had very bad psoriasis

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
....and that it is called Keratosis Pilaris
I also get easy bruising and petechiaie, frequent small nosebleeds and slow wound healing
I am told this is all due to weakened blood vessels and/or the connective tissue surrounding them
the same thig that causes POTS/OI on a larger vessel causes this effet in a smaller vessels

There are many causes of POTS, OI and dysautonomia. It could be misleading to try to pin dysautonomia to this one cause. The ANS would seem to be a larger causative category for dysautonomia.

I think if we want to discuss POTS, OI etc. it would fit better in the forum dedicated to that.

Sushi

IreneF

i had good results with a 2% salicylic acid cream for keratosis pilaris. It's typically on the outside of the upper arms, not the foresrms. I also have it on my thighs.

Misfit Toy

I have a small rash only on my legs. Why only there, I am not sure. For me, it's a major food intolerance situation. I actually spent most of the day in bed today because it was itching soo bad. Years ago, I had a rash covering my entire body. No dermatologist could figure it out, even with a skin biopsy. After two years of living on major meds, I had pelvic surgery and the rash went away.

No idea why. Bizarre rashes have come and go with this thing.

Allyson

i had good results with a 2% salicylic acid cream for keratosis pilaris. It's typically on the outside of the upper arms, not the foresrms. I also have it on my thighs.

hey yes IreneF - did i say forearm - no my rash is upper arms outside - and was so pleased to find out what it was and what it meant finally !

Does yours goa way in hot weather and return in cold - i had wondered why it disappeared sometimes and apparently that is why - temp related!

cheers,
ALly

Allyson

hey yes IreneF - did i say forearm - no my rash is upper arms outside - and was so pleased to find out what it was and what it meant finally !

Does yours goa way in hot weather and return in cold - i had wondered why it disappeared sometimes and apparently that is why - temp related!

cheers,
ALly

yes i did say forearm and have corrected it now

the easy bruising and bleeding and petechiea are apparenlty due to weakened small blood vesel walls and weakness in teh connective tissue around them, my geneticist told me.

IreneF

I haven't noticed any relationship between KP and temperature, but the climate here is mild throughout the year. It hardly gets over 75F, it hardly gets below 40. For me I think it's related to not being able to soak in the tub or take a long shower.

Shell

I get the post shower rash. Really bright red around my knees and less red along my legs. It looks like hives sometimes. Have no idea what it's all about.
I bruise easy and heal slow.
Also get butterfly rash across my face which will spread down the side of my face and along my neck and top of my chest. Thought this was Lupus but as I've heard nout from doc I assume ANAs were neg.
Sometimes get the "insect crawly" sensation all over legs and arms. So weird.
Haven't a clue what it is.

I get the post shower rash. Really bright red around my knees and less red along my legs. It looks like hives sometimes. Have no idea what it's all about.
I bruise easy and heal slow.
Also get butterfly rash across my face which will spread down the side of my face and along my neck and top of my chest. Thought this was Lupus but as I've heard nout from doc I assume ANAs were neg.
Sometimes get the "insect crawly" sensation all over legs and arms. So weird.
Haven't a clue what it is.

I used to get that after showering to where my legs looked like lobsters. REALLY simply cure nixed it. I just take cool to cold showers now, and my legs don't do that anymore, nor do i get as many rashes on my face or arms.

The major skin problem i'm having right now is i've developed irritated, flaky, skin around my hairline, the outline of my nose, and the inside of my ears. It hets worse when i'm having a bad flare up, but i have nooo idea what causes it. My elbows and knees will get a raised itchy rash too, but i can usually control that with reallly thick intensive moisturizers, but they don't help the hairline problem.

Yes, though I also have an autoimmune disease. I have a rash that never completely goes away and moves to different spots around my body, is extremely itchy and started in 2009. I also have eczema and really dry flaky skin on my scalp regardless of using Head and Shoulders. I have also developed minor acne on my face and very slow to heal scrapes and cuts. : (