• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recipe for NAD (and ATP)

alex3619

I have tried most, if not all, supplements mentioned. Most of them give me adverse effects.

This is why I am so cautious. I have seen, again and again, that theoretical treatment typically works on a subset but it a big problem for another subset. Its why I am so cautious. Without knowing measurable parameters that determine which subset you are in its very difficult to know how you will respond, hence my lemon rule.

First, we are a heterogeneous group for our core disorder alone. Second, we have many complications that can alter responses.

Even big pharma, who spend millions on testing and have teams of highly trained experts, get this wrong a lot.

This is also why I think pilot studies then larger studies are so necessary. Its not that we cannot try things as patients, on our own, its that we have to do so very very cautiously. The old idea that we could not do formal studies due to zero funding is ready to be retired, the real issue is finding a lab and a doctor who is interested. Biomarkers or candidate biomarkers for response are also important.

I respond well to all the supplements aside from ribose which I have not tried. We are all so different. CoQ10 in particular, with the right version (which I can no longer buy) gave me a big boost. B3 gave me a smaller boost. Combinations, as I described, completely restored my energy but didn't touch my fatigue.

My shotgun protocol was about taking lowish doses affecting every involved pathway. By keeping doses low, but pushing the system at every point, side effects should be minimized. However there are no guarantees, and sometimes "safe" supplements can induce major adverse effects in some patients.

Side affects (and cost) of my shotgun protocol is why I suspended it and went back to uni to finish my biochem degree.

Gondwanaland

from what I have read here, most are already taking magnesium
IME there is an individual threshold for its suppleemntation to be effective. At some point if I took less than 600md daily, it wasn't effective. Right now I am taking none.

alex3619

Did you take the ribose with food? I can take it with food, but have blood sugar problems if I take it on an empty stomach.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenylate_kinase
The reaction catalyzed is:

ATP + AMP ⇔ 2 ADP

So it takes energy to make ADP, and if you have no energy to spay this might be an issue.

I think this is the bit hat Myhill suspects is broken, iirc:

ADK shuttle
The energy of two high-energy phosphoryls, γ- and β-phosphoryls in the ATP molecule, is made available by the ADK present in mitochondrial and myofibrillar compartments.[11] ATP and AMP are transferred between ATP-production and ATP-consumption sites that involve multiple, sequential phosphotransfer relays. This results in a flux wave propagation along groups of ADK molecules. This ligand conduction mechanism facilitates metabolic flux without apparent changes in metabolite concentrations.[11]

ADK reads the cellular energy state, generates, tunes, and communicates AMP signals to metabolic sensors.[11] In this way, ADK is able to convey information about the overall energy balance. AMP-sensors inhibit ATP consumption and promote ATP production.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenylate_kinase#cite_note-Dzeja-2009-11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenylate_kinase#cite_note-Dzeja-2009-11

Kimsie

I have been doing an interesting experiment on D, my son with alternating fatigue and depression. In this thread I posted about how I believe that D uses the folate pathway to produce energy when he has large amounts of supplemental folate, but that using that pathway for energy production causes him to drain B6, leading to depression. So yesterday I stopped giving him extra folate besides the 1 mg in his Thorne multivitamin to see if with all I have learned about energy production in the last 5 months, and about making extra NAD to raise the NAD/NADH ratio, would enable me to figure out what mix of supplements would help him to make sufficient energy without the drain on B6 that causes his depressive symptoms.

Yesterday I gave him malic acid, but no D-ribose. This morning he felt pretty good until after I gave him his breakfast, and he also had 500mg of nicainamide, which may or may not have contributed to the fatigue he felt a good hour after eating (because the niacin would cause more folate to enter the MTHFR pathway, which is not in the energy producing pathway). It was not a hypoglycemic type of fatigue, it was his usual low folate fatigue.

He was so tired he couldn't do anything and was just lying around and so I gave him about 6 grams of D-ribose, and after 1 hour he started feeling much better and he is up and around again. He doesn't have CFS, and he doesn't crash. When he doesn't make enough ATP his feeling of tiredness prevents him from overdoing things. I think this is because his pathway to produce ATP and AMP from ADP either does not function well, or it kicks in at a much higher level of ADP than it does for people with CFS.

So I think that D-Ribose is an essential ingredient, along with niacinamide. Even though he had 600 mg of B1 this morning and 1200 yesterday to push the Pentose Phosphat Pathway to produce NADPH and ribose, his PPP still isn't producing enough D-ribose.

Over the next few days as his folate is likely to be more drained I may learn more. He is the perfect guinea pig because the changes are evident so quickly.

Tunguska

I have tried most, if not all, supplements mentioned. Most of them give me adverse effects. Glycine for example, makes me extremely fatigued and brain fogged. This is not unexpected, as glycine is an inhibitory neurotransmitter. It also lowers cortisol (which I can't tolerate).

Glutamine gives me symptoms of excitotoxicity, malic acid gives me stomach pain, D-ribose crashes my blood sugar aso. The point is that in practice, most of these supps makes me worse, not better. IME, a shotgun approach rarely seems to work.

I have to second that about the glycine (but not the others so far). I'm a little aback reading about a 10g dietary shortage because I took that much for joints or extra unintentionally (chelated sups) while worried about toxicity or creating imbalances. It sometimes affected mood and function negatively but not always.

What it did was at night induce sleep but trigger waking after 3 hours and reduce sleep quality. It's conflicting, there's that one study where people taking 3g at bedtime benefited, but anecdotes of people having this same problem and not fixing it upon discontinuation. A cure for that would be nice too (niacin alone not enough).

But I highly relate to what Kimsie is saying about needing them all at the same time because that's been my experience with anything I do, down to hours.

I've yet to try this with D-ribose included, though all the others I've had covered.

Kimsie

I should mention here that although all of these things in the recipe are used to make NAD, only niacin (or niacinamide) and D-ribose would probably have to be supplemented by everyone. I think that some people don't need to take extra glycine, and some do. Maybe the best approach is to begin by taking niacinamide and D-ribose and gradually add in the other ingredients beginning with malic acid to try to figure out which ones a person needs. Some people might not have results until they are taking all of the ingredients, but once you have everything in place, it should take nor more than a day or two to know if it is working, in our experience, but it might be different for people with ME/CFS.

I would think that at least 250 mg of niacinamide 2-3 grams a day would be needed. We are using 500 mg 3 times a day for my son with fatigue and depression and he seems to be doing well with it, now that I took out his extra folate and he is only getting 1 mg of folate a day. (Because the high folate was draining his B6). He is also getting 5 grams of D-ribose and a few grams of malic acid 3 times a day, but I haven't tested yet to see if he absolutely has to have the malic acid.

Tunguska

I'm starting to think maybe the R5P 'protocol' that helped me earlier this year could have in fact been this one. R5P was what brought it together but obvious cofactors were folate, B3, food purines and meat protein (also contains B3; sardines, chicken), glutamine, gelatin, glucose and sunlight (not vit D). Now I'm stuck in crippling atypical depression I'm not sure is related at all and is resistant to everything so I'm not sure ribose will do much if it's blocked by another broken process. It does not respond to uridine either, which was strong when it worked. Also problematic, there is no sunlight.

Following this thread with interest.

I've been on a basic levels of nutrients for a number of months which has slowly but gradually helped in terms of energy:
Multi-vit (Thorne basic nutrients), C, D, zinc, magnesium, Omega 3, 5-MTHF, hydroxo-B12, adenosyl-b12, L-Carnitine Fumerate, CoQ10 (the more active ubiquinol form)

I recently added an 'active' form of magnesium (Drs Best magnesium high absorption chealated) and noticed a substantial improvement in energy and clarity within just a couple of days. However I'm beginning to wonder if it was the chealated amino acids that actually made the difference - for every 100mg of magnesium there's 900mg of glycinate/lysinate attached. And glycine seems to be one of the core building blocks of ATP from @Kimsie 's original post.

Anyone else had a similar impact from "magnesium", or any other minerals that are chealated/high absorbtion versions?

I also notice from this wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate#ATP_recycling) that:

"The total quantity of ATP in the human body is about 0.2 mole".
...this equates to 0.2 x 507 (molar mass of ATP) = approx 100g of ATP in a 'typical' person.

"the total amount of ATP + ADP remains fairly constant"
...it is just being converted between ATP and ADP and back again. However I wonder if it's possible that the total amount of ATP is reduced in people with CFS, and it needs to be rebuilt? Or is there a way that it could be being broken down and flushed out of the body?

"The energy used by human cells requires the hydrolysis of 100 to 150 moles of ATP daily"
...this is about 500 to 750 times the 0.2moles of ATP actually in the body, which means the full amount of a persons ATP is being recycled every 2-3 mins, a hugely active process.

So...it might be more plausible that there's an issue with the recycling of ATP-ADP in the mitochondria, rather than the total store of ATP? However this doesn't explain my experience with chealated magnesium glycinate/lycinate which definitely did give me an energy boost.

Thoughts?

Hanna

I have been taking the same brand of magnesium that you do up to 2 caplets twice a day (as it is written on the pack), and havn't noticed any improvement.
What is your posology ?

I think the main problem with supplementing a "problem" is that many people overdoing it. If we think logical, we can not take more supplements than what would be normal for the daily intake - from what you would get from food that day. More than that will be toxic or disturbing the system/metabolism. BUT, if we should do supplementing, we will make for sure we get the dayly dose, that day. If someone got some bad SNPs or gene combinations, even then no more than daily doses should be taken, but instead ensured taken every day. Thats my opinion. Another issue is that everybody wants to feel right away what the supplement is supposed to do or told to do. If we try to be logical again, this will not be the case. If we change our diet, the metabolism will use 3 to 6 weeks to adjust for the new intake. We need to know that the changes we do today should not be felt that day at all, unless you are spot on for some underlaying serious problems. I often read people who doses up to 5gr with methylfolate pr day!! Its insane, and everybody should understand by logical thinking that doing so is toxic to the system over time. Every metabolism has built in limits of how much it can tolerate of overdosing of "goods". You may feel good for a very short time, but the system will collaps sooner or later as long as the dayly dose is exceeded. It is as simple as if a plant got too much water, it will be sick. If there is poisen in the water it will be sick and so on. Everything has to be sensibly and logically done for it to work. Rome was not built in a day!

Just a thought! :)

Tunguska

I've wanted to revisit this thread for awhile, but putting together long posts is not my forte anymore (came close to ditching this half-way), and mail failure's set me back. Since http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...function-in-myalgic-encephalopathy-cfs.48446/ I think we have a better perspective on the substances suggested here.

Originally I tried a protocol similar to what Kimsie suggested here and the composition led me to believe purine/pyrimidine synthesis was involved (that was fishing). Kimsie focused more on NAD. I think both pathways were too specific, even though they are low in CFS/ME. The NAD was more likely, and Kimsie focused more on B3 (I seemed to need B2 roughly as much) which is not the wrong direction, because B3 as Niacinamide is strong with broad effects. That's the past now.

So reiterating, what should open more doors is instead targeting and trying to normalize the mTor/AMPK cycle (roughly: http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2011/09/intermittent-thoughts-on-intermittent_25.html) - or at least try to emulate or coerce a normal one using supplements and medication - with a focus on the mTor side for CFS/ME (the opposite of the recommendations "healthy" people get for life extension and cancer prevention). That approach should most likely overlap and encompass the NAD and purine/pyrimidine synthesis.

To do this, timing and the right combinations of substances should be key. But by default I'd assume the common substances listed here won't target or help enough to counteract the specific signals hijacking mTor in CFS/ME. Which may be part of the why some people don't even react to the shotgun approach, and when you do it's short-lived. But at the other extreme, expecting a single medication to reverse one signal and fix all the cycles automatically and ignoring the rest is a bit naive and probably counterproductive. I for one want to put the odds on my side (that's mostly all I do).

In the Metabolic Profiling thread, the Niacinamide (but maybe not so much niacin) seemed relevant right off the bat because of the skin research showing it to boost sphingolipids (->mTor). There isn't enough information on that, but there is this study on Schizophrenia linking its deranged sphingolipid metabolism to skin expression: https://academic.oup.com/schizophre...07/Skin-Ceramide-Alterations-in-First-Episode So it's at least plausible that skin could serve as a biomarker, and niacinamide reserving its effects for skin seems unlikely. Coincidentally, as I think Kimsie wrote, B3 is used to treat schizophrenia, so it's hard to ignore all this. Also coincidentally... I have the worst skin in the world! Nevertheless, if it solved the sphingolipids completely on its own in CFS/ME (making some assumptions here), I think some of us would have noticed by now.

That aside, Niacinamide is usually advertised as a SIRT1 inhibitor (I think is at least part of why it inhibits lipolysis). In fact, it's a dual SIRT1 inhibitor/activator. Taking a high dose, the blood level of Niacinamide stays elevated for a number of hours, and during this time it should primarily inhibit SIRT1 overall. When the blood levels fall enough, you're left with elevated NAD which upregulates SIRT1 (this process promoted by rising AMPK which increases NAMPT and the Niacinamide->...->NAD conversion).

The SIRT1 inhibition promotes mTor, and SIRT1 is friend of AMPK, so the net effect of Niacinamide is to act as an amplifier of the mTor/AMPK cycle. Which is reduced or otherwise broken in CFS/ME, so it seems like a reasonable adjunct to take based on that alone.

That said, at first glance Niacinamide does appear outright contraindicated in CFS/ME because of the PDH inhibition. Niacinamide basically requires carb metabolism because of the lipolysis inhibition. So definitely other substances are needed (for mTor and/or PDH) and caution warranted.

The time to take Niacinamide is definitely at the beginning of a meal or feeding period, including enough carbs. The dose matters, because the higher doses could inhibit SIRT1 for too long. Therapeutically a popular dose of Niacinamide is 1500mg, and it maximizes its effects, but I think it may lead to blood levels lingering excessively (nevermind being too strong), depending on daily routine and eating pattern (intermittent fasting, etc.). There are some research and articles on its half-life which I haven't read in depth yet, but I think the prudent approach is to start with and/or stick to 100-300mg.

From what Nandixon posted, we know Glutamine is quite relevant to mTor function. The only comment I can make further on it, is from experimentation, sometimes it seemed more effective to take 30-60 mins prior to eating, rather than exactly at the same time as other aminos like Leucine. Perhaps for preloading the cells.

Obviously now, the general protocol calls for Leucine, which there was little focus on, and in my own attempts, regularly my protein sources at that time were not optimal sources. Lysine is also known to be able to contribute to mTor. So Whey is no doubt quite a powerhouse in this respect (even with ketogenesis aspect aside), and comes with enough Tyrosine to offset the common depressive effect of BCAAs (advantaged vs taking separate aminos), and fast assimilation being the closest possible to isolate aminos as you can get.

A bit surprisingly, Glycine can also rescue mTor, in a relevant way to disease: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27225947
Glycine enhances muscle protein mass associated with maintaining Akt-mTOR-FOXO1 signaling and suppressing TLR4 and NOD2 signaling in piglets challenged with LPS.
Pro-inflammatory cytokines play a critical role in the pathophysiology of muscle atrophy. We hypothesized that glycine exerted an anti-inflammatory effect and alleviated lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced muscle atrophy in piglets. Pigs were assigned to four treatments including the following: 1) nonchallenged control, 2) LPS-challenged control, 3) LPS+1.0% glycine, and 4) LPS+2.0% glycine. After receiving the control, 1.0 or 2.0% glycine-supplemented diets, piglets were treated with either saline or LPS. At 4 h after treatment with saline or LPS, blood and muscle samples were harvested. We found that 1.0 or 2.0% glycine increased protein/DNA ratio, protein content, and RNA/DNA ratio in gastrocnemius or longissimus dorsi (LD) muscles. Glycine also resulted in decreased mRNA expression of muscle atrophy F-box (MAFbx) and muscle RING finger 1 (MuRF1) in gastrocnemius muscle. In addition, glycine restored the phosphorylation of Akt, mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR), eukaryotic initiation factor 4E binding protein 1 (4E-BP1), and Forkhead Box O 1 (FOXO1) in gastrocnemius or LD muscles. Furthermore, glycine resulted in decreased plasma tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α) concentration and muscle TNF-α mRNA abundance. Moreover, glycine resulted in decreased mRNA expresson of Toll-like receptor 4 (TLR4), nucleotide-binding oligomerization domain protein 2 (NOD2), and their respective downstream molecules in gastrocnemius or LD muscles. These results indicate glycine enhances muscle protein mass under an inflammatory condition. The beneficial roles of glycine on the muscle are closely associated with maintaining Akt-mTOR-FOXO1 signaling and suppressing the activation of TLR4 and/or NOD2 signaling pathways.

Anyway, protein is obviously important, but also the fast digestibility and absorption of aminos I think is a bigger factor than I originally thought, for the purpose of modulating mTor/AMPK and exploit window of activation.

But high protein is also a burden on the liver to regulate and metabolize, and the Glutamate, Glutamine, and Glycine all have negatives as neurotransmitters, in and of themselves and by producing ammonia, like Adreno and others pointed out in these threads. I do think TUDCA has a notable value specifically in helping the liver process high protein (Mario's thread has the links), and although Nandixon made a good counterpoint in the other thread, I still think (pure) NMDA antagonists could be a useful workaround if you don't mind their effects. Long story short, I worry about high protein protocols failing needlessly or backfiring without proper support to handle the protein.

Of course none of this is written intending to address the specific derangements in CFS/ME being investigated in the other thread. It's all supporting protocol and revisiting why some of these substances may have or could make a difference.

But these did help me before, and so now my interest is in repurposing them for mTor/AMPK cycle normalization, to combine with the more targeted interventions being looked at and/or known to revert or force these processes, such as the Cemetidine, NMDA/AMPA antagonists/agonists, etc. Wishfully something that could be used 4-5/7 days of the week perpetually.

Learner1

Very interesting idea. I was thinking of Robert Naviaux's summer/winter metabolism diagram as I read your post. I think it will take me awhile to digest, but it seems important.

I have 2 simpler questions after reading this entire thread:

1) If one were to dramatically increase niacinamide, say from 500mg to 1.5g, wouldn't that negatively impact methylation? Wouldn't we need to increase B12, folate, etc to compensate?

2) Wouldn't the quality of the mitochondrial membranes have something to do with all of this? If one's membranes are shredded due to oxidative and nitrosative stress and inability to replenish fast enough, the whole system would be inefficient. Couldn't ths be why more substrates are needed, above and beyond what normal people need?

Tunguska

1) If one were to dramatically increase niacinamide, say from 500mg to 1.5g, wouldn't that negatively impact methylation? Wouldn't we need to increase B12, folate, etc to compensate?

Some will, yes. Last time I calculated (you might wanna do your own calculations) 3g Niacinamide could theoretically soak up about 1g TMG if dedicated to methylation. But it's circumstantial. Ideally you want to promote the NAMPT pathway over it. I can't remember if specific ways were already discussed (more threads like http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?posts/558297/), but regularizing the cycles should contribute. For smaller doses with high protein (high methionine) and carbs and daily choline covered I don't worry about it. There was a similar concern with Glycine (+ retinoic acid).

2) Wouldn't the quality of the mitochondrial membranes have something to do with all of this? If one's membranes are shredded due to oxidative and nitrosative stress and inability to replenish fast enough, the whole system would be inefficient. Couldn't ths be why more substrates are needed, above and beyond what normal people need?

Possibly, probably. I don't know how to target that further beyond having a strong diet, cycles and choosing supplements known to increase mitochondrial biogenesis.

Learner1

Possibly, probably. I don't know how to target that further beyond having a strong diet, cycles and choosing supplements known to increase mitochondrial biogenesis.
I've seen people muck around with a lot of diet, supplements, etc and get nowhere because membranes were a problem, then helping membranes allows for improvement.

NT Factor, PC, and PS can help with phospholipids in membranes and folate and things that help B4 can help reduce damage. What is the list of supps that repairs sphingolipids?