• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Requested suggestions on tests: gut, mithocondria, genes/methylation

Gingergrrl

@Sushi Can you explain what you mean re: a test for reduced glutathione vs. total glutathione? If I am looking for a test of mitochondrial functioning and current glutathione levels would you say that Nutraeval is not the right test? I have done some test kits that have been extremely helpful to me and others that were a waste of time, energy & money so trying to gather as much info as I can!

caledonia

@caledonia Thanks again for all the info. I will get the results of the MTHFR test on Mon but suspect 23andMe will take another few weeks. That was a great idea what you said re: cross-checking the results. I have never taken the methyl B12 or Folate so this will be totally new for me (assuming my results imply I should take them?)

I didn't really understand the CBS part but will wait for my results so I can ask you a more specific question vs. hypotheticals.

Thanks for looking up the ION test and I have not already paid for it (and only pay if I decide to do it and mail it in.) I don't believe the test kit that my ND gave me is the one with the cardio section but need to confirm that. If I am understanding you correctly, it sounds like the ION test does not measure glutathione but the Nutreval does (or are they just inferred on both tests from the other scores i.e. citric acid, etc?)

I want to do the test that in your opinion best measures glutathione and mitochondrial function (regardless of the cost of complexity of the test.) Is Nutreval similar to the Mito test that Sarah Myhill runs for people in the U.K.?

Thanks again!

The Nutreval directly measures total glutathione (oxidized + reduced). Which is only really useful if it's low. Oxidized is the bad one and reduced is the good one. So if it shows high, it might be a bunch of the bad oxidized glutathione, but you wouldn't know which from that measure.

However, there are also many other measures where low reduced glutathione can be inferred. This is on both tests.

Someone just asked the same question about Myhill's test. The Nutreval measures most, but not all of the same things. I think her test is more for disability purposes? I like the Nutreval better because you can see where your energy blocks are in the Kreb's cycle, and then supplement or detox based on that. You can also just try out all of the mito supps and see which ones are helpful.

caledonia

Thank you Caledonia. This may work indeed. A friend in the US is already willing to help me with some supps I need to buy there, thus this would be just an additional request. My concern would be the timing for sending the samplers from Chile. Do you suggest labs will be willing to do this?

Since we already know 23andme doesn't have service to Chile, I think it would be a good idea to ask 23andme what the time limit is for the saliva. Then see if you can send the package from Chile to your friend, then from your friend to 23andme within the time limit.

I would contact the labs and see if they have service to Chile first. If not then you would have to figure out the transit time with your friend again. I would think blood would be the most time sensitive. You may have to do some kind of expedited shipping and make sure your friend is willing to turn things around quickly. It may go better in colder weather, or with an ice pack, etc.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The Nutreval directly measures total glutathione (oxidized + reduced). Which is only really useful if it's low. Oxidized is the bad one and reduced is the good one. So if it shows high, it might be a bunch of the bad oxidized glutathione, but you wouldn't know which from that measure.

However, there are also many other measures where low reduced glutathione can be inferred. This is on both tests.

Someone just asked the same question about Myhill's test. The Nutreval measures most, but not all of the same things. I think her test is more for disability purposes? I like the Nutreval better because you can see where your energy blocks are in the Kreb's cycle, and then supplement or detox based on that. You can also just try out all of the mito supps and see which ones are helpful.

@Sushi Can you explain what you mean re: a test for reduced glutathione vs. total glutathione? If I am looking for a test of mitochondrial functioning and current glutathione levels would you say that Nutraeval is not the right test? I have done some test kits that have been extremely helpful to me and others that were a waste of time, energy & money so trying to gather as much info as I can!

I think Caledonia answered this well.

Sushi

Sinclair

Since we already know 23andme doesn't have service to Chile, I think it would be a good idea to ask 23andme what the time limit is for the saliva. Then see if you can send the package from Chile to your friend, then from your friend to 23andme within the time limit.

I would contact the labs and see if they have service to Chile first. If not then you would have to figure out the transit time with your friend again. I would think blood would be the most time sensitive. You may have to do some kind of expedited shipping and make sure your friend is willing to turn things around quickly. It may go better in colder weather, or with an ice pack, etc.

@caledonia many thanks for these useful logistic ideas on how to proceed from here. This sound perfect for avoiding blindness at an affordable cost:thumbsup: