• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Result Igenex?

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Can anyone tell me what this means?

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    600.8 KB · Views: 43
  • img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    846.2 KB · Views: 30
  • img006.jpg
    img006.jpg
    780.1 KB · Views: 29
  • img007.jpg
    img007.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 28
  • img008.jpg
    img008.jpg
    888.4 KB · Views: 26

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema
I've added the other results - ones I've omitted clearly negative, think I'm back where I started........
Never thought it was Bartonella hens - maybe one of the other barts - but this test doesn't do all the others like the Glalaxy one does - hmm.......

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Oh. Well so what is your next move? Didn't it say to get a Western Blot? If you don't have it why are you so sick from the stuff you were taking?

Ema

Wow, @maryb, would it be too much to ask for you to have a straightforward test?? :)

With a positive PCR and an IgM WB showing signs of activity on Lyme specific bands (even at an IND level), I would suspect exposure to Lyme.

Now whether or not it is contributing to your illness becomes a clinical decision...can you tolerate antibiotics to do a challenge?

If not, it might be worth one more test to see if they can actually grow the Bb bacteria in your blood.

I'm not sure if this is available internationally though?

http://www.advanced-lab.com/spirochete.php

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema
thanks for the link I'll have a look at it.

I get sick immediately on antibiotics - is that a challenge?

Ema

@Ema
thanks for the link I'll have a look at it.

I get sick immediately on antibiotics - is that a challenge?
Kind of...the antibiotic challenge basically has you start the "typical" (if there is such a thing) Lyme protocol...usually a combo of doxy/azith/pulse Flagyl for a month or three and then re-do the Western blots to see if the antibiotic treatment has induced a stronger antibody immune response that is better able to be picked up by the tests.

Basically it tries to stir the pot...

Ema

What would you have done if the tests had been strongly positive for Lyme? Tried herbs? Maybe that is a better idea?? Just brainstorming...

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema
I started Samento a few weeks ago - got a massive herx last week on just 7drops, felt so sick ever since. Just coming out of it over the past 48hrs.
I did try the a/biotics a few years ago and they made me so ill......I worry what will I do if it does mean a positive result, what treatment can I do? IV a/biotics is the only one I can think of.

Mind you clodmir says you have to take burbur on the herbal protocol so maybe that's where I went wrong.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Can anyone tell me what this test actually does?

immunofluorescence assay of b burdorferi

this is the one I was definitely positive on.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
think I've been able to answer my own question, this test can cross react with other bacterial species?? so I could have anything, not necessarily lyme bacteria? Is that correct?

Ema

This is what IgeneX says about IFA testing:

B. burgdorferi spirochetes are affixed to glass slides and usually a fluorescent-conjugated goat antihuman immunoglobulin of either IgM or IgG specificity is used (20). Tests for Lyme disease using IFA have received mixed reviews and some authors believe that the interpretations of IFA assays are overly subjective and that the tests are either functionally insensitive for Lyme-specific antibodies or display considerable cross-reactions with antibodies to other spirochetal organisms (21,22). Magnarelli et al (23,24) and Mitchell et al (20) supported IFA if used in conjunction with a clinical evaluation. Mitchell's study with the IgM IFA showed excellent specificity and no observed cross-reactivity with infectious mononucleosis (n = 20), rheumatoid arthritis (n = 19), systemic lupus (n = 22), syphilis (n = 13), streptococcal sequelae (n = 20) or healthy subjects. Mitchell related the success of this test to the quality of the substrate slides and the level of experience of the technologists, and concludes that IFA microscopy becomes less subjective with experience.

That's where the WB comes in...hopefully to offer confirmation/clarification. Unfortunately, your WB was not very definitive which leaves you in a terrible position. I'm so sorry. :(

Has the doctor commented at all?

What abx did you try that went badly in the past?

Burbur is supposed to be very helpful. I know the herbal preparations can be very strong but I don't have much experience with those protocols. It may just have to be a very slow process ramping up on them.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Ema
thanks, no comment yet from the doc. Yes its a rotten position to be in, don't get me wrong I don't want to have Lyme but would really like to know what I do have.

I've left the herbals for the time being. I accept that with these infection you have to go backwards before seeing an improvement so I'm getting my head around that thought.

Doxycycline was the first one that threw me to the ground:(

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@maryb. I can barely take 1/2 dose doxycycline without getting sick and you are probably more sensitive to things than I am. I think whatever you end up doing you have to start really slow. I do know someone who was pulsing. Like 4 or 5 days on then weekends off. Something like that.

Sucks when the treatment is worse than the disease.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@minkeygirl
thanks - yes I'll see what the doctor says, probably more testing??? will I ever get to the end.........