• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skin feels extremely sensitive to touch.

Apple

I've been sick for 9 years and this is a new symptom for me for since we hit 2014.

It mostly seems to happen after I've been out. I get bad payback anyway (1-2hours out = 5-7days+ recovery), but this is horrible! It's primarily in my arms, even my clothes touching my skin feels really awful.

Has anyone experienced this and found anything helpful?

leela

I wish I had something better to offer, other than I get this too, and it's awful.
The only semi-helpful things are wearing anything that's in direct contact with your skin inside-out so the
seams don't aggravate it, and wear the softest possible garments.

If it happens every time you go to a specific place, consider there might be mold or a chemical you are reacting to in that place.

It's a good idea to shower and wash hair and change clothes any time you've been out anyway, even though I personally
always feel too spent to want to after a day in the wild old world; but it pays to go the extra mile and get all that awful stuff off you
because it could make the reactivity less.

SOC

I've been sick for 9 years and this is a new symptom for me for since we hit 2014.

It mostly seems to happen after I've been out. I get bad payback anyway (1-2hours out = 5-7days+ recovery), but this is horrible! It's primarily in my arms, even my clothes touching my skin feels really awful.

I had that for quite a while. Mine got worse with heat or cold, so going outside made it worse. It went away with Valcyte treatment so I'm guessing that for me, at least, it was related to my HHHV6 infection. Or maybe a related herpesvirus (chickenpox/shingles, EBV) that improved during Valcyte treatment. Or perhaps an inflammation thing related to HHV6.

Other than the Valcyte, nothing worked for me. I got to the point where I stayed home and wore clothes that hung from my shoulders like a sack so that there was a minimum of clothing rubbing on the skin. Not pleasant or attractive, but at least the skin sensitivity wasn't driving me nuts. It was maddening. You have my sympathy.

rosie26

I get this too. When mine was at it's worst - scratching my skin lightly was very painful. It really is quite shocking when even a light sheet on you can feel uncomfortable and weighty.
I have learnt something to day though, thanks @ggingues :) I didn't know Allodynia was what it was called.

voner

Apple,

It is Allodynia. I experience it also. Just like you. It is the worst in my hands. Makes wearing clothing very painful. I just recently found something that settled mine down. Immersion in a Warmwater aqua therapy pool. As in everything, start slow and low. If you Google allodynia and CRPS and aqua, you will find some information about aqua therapy and allodynia. There's even a video or two up on YouTube. It's a common symptom and CRPS and fibromyalgia.

If you are interested in the science of it, I wrote a blog about allodynia head. 2008 research report about it. Over at cort Johnson's website, health rising...

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...in-fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

After struggling with allodynia for a over 15 years, I was surprised that something so simple could help. But it did. The Allodynia didn't go away, but it dampened down and it is much more tolerable.....

Good luck.