• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

skincare for the very tired.. suggestions??

alice111

Hi All,
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for super duper low maintenance skincare?
As im sure others know, simple hygiene like showering is exhausting, and adding a complicated skincare regimen .. well it just doesnt happen. I used to use proactiv ( I am dealing with hormonal acne, which I know is the root cause, but its complicated and in the works) - but my fatigue took a turn for the worse, and doing a three step face washing routine became way too tiring. For a while I just stopped washing my face as I was too tired (showers also were reduced ..) but i have been breaking out a lot and would really like something easy to help with this? maybe it doesnt exist.. but i thought I would post on here!
ideally would be a face wipe - one step, easy to use, dont need to stand at a sink...
ok any suggestions would be veeeerrry appreciated!!

place

Be Strong!
Well, not sure what suppliments your taking. DHEA made my fair out of control. But the best and easiest thing I have done is take birth control. No more acne and I don't wash my face or do any routine. If I do use any lotion or sunblock, I break out. I'm normally really oily skin and the birth control reduces it but I think it has to do with estrogen and killing surface bacteria…. something like that.

taniaaust1

If you have ME I suggest to not use no chemicals at all on your face, its too easy to end up with coexisting MCS with this illness. Maybe there is another way to help your acne but not throu wiping stuff on skin.

rosie26

I use a mild face cleaner at night, then moisturize. In the morning I use a mild-hot face cloth only to freshen my face before putting on some moisturizer.

I change my pillowcase 2-3 times a week as well depending on remembering though. Some weeks are better than others remembering to do it. :D

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I read a book (out of print and I can't remember the title) by a dermatologist on the best cleansers and moisturisers, based on science, and he said the best cleanser was water.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
There is an olive oil cleanser that you wash your face with, maybe you could just put some on a flannel rub in and use another to wipe off, very cleansing. Just leave it at that if you have oily skin. It doesn't make your skin any oilier. DHC very pure stuff, but expensive.

alice111

THanks so much for the replies!!

@place what do you mean? "DHEA made my fair out of control".
also which birth control did you use? and did you use it for other reasons ie PMS/ menstrual problems?

@taniaaust1 Im all for not using chemicals! any suggestions?

@rosie26 which cleanser and moisturizer do you use?

@Sasha I dont necessarily feel like I need a cleanser, but the problem is when I dont use anything except water (which I did for a month or so) my skin starts to get soooo tight and dry - im sure probably because of hormone imbalances and nutritional deficiencies that im dealing with..

@maryb what is this olive oil cleanser? do you mean using olive oil as a cleanser, or is this a product?
thanks everyone! :)

taniaaust1

I dont necessarily feel like I need a cleanser, but the problem is when I dont use anything except water (which I did for a month or so) my skin starts to get soooo tight and dry

I use coconut oil on my dry skin (and on ends of dry hair), one only needs a little bit.

rosie26

@alice111 I just use cheap mild cleanser from the supermarket - nothing flash. It does the trick. The moisturizer I use is a Made in NZ one which I love love love :D Costs me a bit of a fortune for it though - well, fortune for me anyway $50. Don't know where you live, probably cheaper for you to get one closer to home.

IreneF

Cetaphil or something similar is very good if your skin is sensitive, and you don't need to rinse it off. It just doesn't get you really clean. I use Trader Joe's (US chain) face wash, sometimes followed by their lotion.

I shampoo at the kitchen sink. It's got a nice sprayer.

I'm too tired to wash, baths and showers cause me to crash because of the heat. Generally I wash at the sink. My skin is incredibly flaky but not dry. Water is really good for your skin, it's true.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@alice111
no its not olive oil, its made by DHC if you google them.
I used some Pure stuff but it irritated my skin. I can't even tolerate a lot of stuff with natural ingredients never mind chemicals.

Min

Your idea of medicated wipes is very good. I don't know where you live, but in the UK both Australian Body Care and Witch do some good ones.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I haven't tried these but they have good reviews - Mary Kay Facial Cleansing Cloths:

http://www.amazon.com/Mary-Kay-Facial-Cleansing-Cloths/dp/B003RA865G

I think just about all of the Mary Kay line is available on Amazon and/or eBay.

Here's a page that describes more of the Mary Kay line:
http://www.ebay.com/gds/The-Differences-between-Mary-Kay-Cleansers-/10000000001727857/g.html

I sold Mary Kay products decades ago and had very few returned products. I used their skin care routines for years.

I was going to recommend the Mary Kay Deep Cleanser 3 because of your acne. This will even help teenage acne and it worked for me in my late 20's. Then I read that your skin gets tight and dry, so you may want to add a light moisturizer if you use this cleanser. It's not what I would call a harsh product - it just sucks all the oil off your face. I don't know how it compares to ProActiv since I've never tried that.

You can find a Mary Kay representative in your area:
http://www.marykay.com/en-US/_layouts/MaryKayCoreLocator/Locate.aspx?pid=mk

I don't know if a rep will give you a full "try before you buy" facial, but at least if you buy from a rep, you get the advantage of having a brief facial analysis (not rocket science) and if for some reason you don't like any of the products, you can get a full refund or exchange them with the rep. They will want to sell you a "routine" and make-up, so if you make it clear you just want to a simple product that's right for your face, that will help. It takes a lot of time for them to come to your home and drag all their products with them.

And lastly, I found this on Buzzfeed today and thought it was funny, so I thought I'd share:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tasmaiuppin/easy-peasy-wonderful
29 Freeing Truths Of Being A Low-Maintenance Girl
Not to be confused with being lazy.

DeGenesis

I use a product called Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets. It doesn't substitute for a wash, but if I don't have the energy for my bedtime routine I will use it and save all my energy for cleaning my teeth. Electric toothbrush helped with that a lot.

ukxmrv

How are you with tea-tree oil? I have oily skin and find that if I wash with a tea-tree product (have to be careful to find one that doesn't kick off my MCS) then the oily skin doesn't need as much washing and I get less spots and problems.

I always use a flannel on my face. If I give it a scrub when it is dry I find that good for my skin type. Then I wet it and use that to clean.

Also as a skin scrub I use a method that is based on an old Bodyshop product. It's Akudi beans ground up in a coffee grinder and then applied to the skin. As a cleanser for oily skin I find this very good. The beans only need to be done every month or so. They last a long time in a sealed container.

http://macro808.blogspot.co.uk/2006/05/azuki-bean-face-lift.html

Hope this helps. I find bathing on a daily basis very hard. I am only well enough to apply moisturiser once a day at night when I am stronger.

Daffodil

i thought that acne prone skin people should use products that are water based and do not have oil? that is what i was told 25 years ago, when i started breaking out with adult acne. since then, i also change my pillow case nightly.

my skin has been clear for years now, as long as i don't let anything touch my face other than ivory soap and water lol.

recently, i started with the dermatitis after a course of antibiotics, so i have to sometimes apply a moisturizer. every so called "sensitive skin" product makes me break out, but the neutrogena moisturizer seems to be OK.

i am lucky i have energy to shower daily, though i often need a nap right after!

belize44

And lastly, I found this on Buzzfeed today and thought it was funny, so I thought I'd share:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tasmaiuppin/easy-peasy-wonderful
29 Freeing Truths Of Being A Low-Maintenance Girl
Not to be confused with being lazy.
Wow, almost everyone of those things apply to me, except I don't drink beer or eat pizza anymore. When I was younger and healthier, I cared a bit about makeup and scent and things like that, but not now. I have a few outfits that I regularly rotate; two cotton gingham sundresses, four pairs of capris, cotton or knit shirts with them, and sneakers. Around the house I go barefoot. I have a few dress up outfits but they rarely get worn because I rarely go anyplace. Thanks for sharing that!

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Wow, almost everyone of those things apply to me, except I don't drink beer or eat pizza anymore. When I was younger and healthier, I cared a bit about makeup and scent and things like that, but not now. I have a few outfits that I regularly rotate; two cotton gingham sundresses, four pairs of capris, cotton or knit shirts with them, and sneakers. Around the house I go barefoot. I have a few dress up outfits but they rarely get worn because I rarely go anyplace. Thanks for sharing that!

I'm glad you liked it! My laundry consists of four nightgowns that I rotate since I rarely leave my home. And makeup - who has time for all that nonsense? (And to imagine I used to sell it!)

PennyIA

I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than skipping a face wash when getting out of bed to stand at a sink is that step too far. I use alcohol-free baby wipes. I actually started using it before I got sick because it was an inexpensive awesome thing for removing makeup... stopped using them when I stopped having enough energy/ability to apply makeup. But when I hit the same issue you did? that's when I started to do it just for getting my face clean.

belize44

I'm glad you liked it! My laundry consists of four nightgowns that I rotate since I rarely leave my home. And makeup - who has time for all that nonsense? (And to imagine I used to sell it!)
Sometimes I hang out in a pair of men's boxer shorts and a T shirt. So comfy!