• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Spanish govt withdraw disability pension because patient gives online support

Valentijn

How ridiculous ... I wonder if they're targeting him because he's the president of a support group. There's a huge difference between giving advice at your convenience over the internet, and holding down a job with ANY quality or hours-based requirements.

Disgraceful.

SilverbladeTE

f' typical!

yes I can chat on the Net, yet get sick worn out walking to local shop , and doing art purely for fun rips hell out of me.
Now we can't work unless we have this very light and do suitable low intensity, little if any travel work

more weights on the scales against government tosspots, bureaucratic jellyfish and psych scum

Mij

Came across this on Twitter. Spanish govt have taken away the disability pension of a severely ill MEcfs person because they say if he can give online support, then he can work! Please read the attached and perhaps consider sending an image and/or a note of support for their campaign. Email is in the attached link Many thanks
https://t.co/DheIL5O5ua

There were cases here in Canada where people were stripped of their disability benefits from posting vacation pictures on their facebook pages. Not neccessarily people with ME but we have to be careful because they don't understand our illness.

This was on the news a few years ago

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I found a webpage in Spanish about this, and got a rather poor Google translation of it:

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...HuM&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb

So, if they want to make people work because they can, and do, help fellow-patients (and who else does if you have ME or MCS?), perhaps they could find a suitable job for such people. One with completely flexible hours that allows one to suddenly stop work and lie down for unpredictable periods, to take days, weeks or months off sick, to work slowly, to be unable to meet deadlines, to take frequent breaks of unpredictable length, to avoid chemical exposure, and perhaps to work from one's bed?

I'm sure many of us would happily do such a job - paid work is better than benefits! But where are such jobs?

Countrygirl

This is a horrid situation that also threatened those of us in the UK who helped other patients a few years ago. Please take action to help the Spanish patients who are having their benefits removed for helping others on the internet.

Thanks.

CG.

http://www.ligasfc.org/?p=704

WITCH-HUNT VS SPANISH ME/CFS AND MCS PATIENTS! WE NEED HELP!
Posted on 11 julio, 2014 by edu

The Catalan (Spain) government has begun to withdraw the pensions of
those people with ME/CFS and MCS “who help people who are ill”.
The first one to lose his pension has been Mario Arias, president of
Aqua Tarragona, the association of people with ME/cfs and MCS in the
city of Tarragona.
Mario has been very ill for 20 years and had full disability since 2002.
Since then he had been helping other people through internet from his
bed who are sick with info and emotional support.

The goverment has taken away his pension alleging that if he can give
support to others, he can get a job!

How can you help?
We are asking people all over the world to send their photo by email
for the mural we are putting together for the press conference to
denounce this next Tuesday.
Please send your photo to aquatarragona@gmail.com (aquatarragona @ gmail.com)
You might also want to include some words of support to Mario.

Today, it is Mario. Tomorrow it will be you and me.

Thank you,
Clara Valverde
President
LigaSFC/EM
Barcelona, Spain