• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stocking up on incandescent lightbulbs for the photosensitive

PearlGirl26

Living with CFS for years, recently diagnosed.
I don't know how I missed this, but a neighbor just informed me of the incandescent lightbulb ban that went into effect on 1/1/14. Amazon is a good resource for ordering lightbulbs in bulk, but I have been told to check each one upon arrival for duds. Because I totally have the energy for that;)

Anywho, just thought I would let you all know in case you were in the proverbial dark like me.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
The only time I turn a light on is when it's absolutely necessary and then I only when I'm doing a specific task. Then they go off.

The only lamp i have is next to my bed.

L'engle

moogle
Do people find the new LED style tough on their eyes like floursecents? I'm a fan of the lights being off unless I need them as well. :).
I stopped being afriad of the dark when I realized I was more afraid of light...

Adster

The EMI sensitive might like to stock up too as the LED replacements all have switch mode power supplies in them that will no doubt emit some RF radiation, as do the CFL lamps. Shouldn't be a problem for most people though.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have a track light over my kitchen counter that has 3 LED and 3 Halogen bulbs. The LED point on the counter, the others into the cabinet.

The LED are much less bright, not as hot and cheaper.

taniaaust1

I can say that Ive had A LOT of trouble since they changed the bulbs over here in Australia years ago. I wrote letters in protest pleading for them to not stop the old lights before it happened as I'd already saw from lights at other peoples houses that the change over wasnt going to be good for me.

So I stocked up and regret I didnt stock up more as now Im down to only two of the original light globes which Ive got in my most used rooms.

The issues Ive had with other forms of lights are feeling not as well and the light coming off of them I find is harsh, not in brightness but in another way its hard to explain.. but its like I can clearly feel the different light spectrum coming from the light and like hitting onto me harder (not in tactile thou).

and worst till those ones we have now with the curling insides (I get what lights are what confused).. the free ones the gov provided were the worst yet and had me seeing a big green blobs whenever I entered a room with one of them in. I had to get them all taken down.

Its not just ME people who may have issues with the light change over but its also Autisim/Aspergers people group, some have trouble too.

Im still trying to work out which I are okay with... I dont feel like fluros are healthy for me..and I think its the curly ones may be hallogen?? (got to check that). Maybe I'd be okay with LED lights (I have to try those).

L'engle

moogle
The compact flourescents have a curling interior made of white tubes. I don't like them much.

I got an LED for my room. The light does feel a bit bright for a bedside lamp so I have it covered with a shade. I don't use interior lights much of the time. Almost never in summer and only for a few hours in winter evenings. I don't like to leave bright lights on very late even if I'm still awake.

NilaJones

I'd love to know where people are ordering their stocking-up bulbs, especially if the place ships to the US.

I can tell you where NOT to get them: lightbulbsdirect.com

I ordered super long-life incandescent bulbs from them, bulbs that should last 10 years in my fixtures. But they don't even last three months. The last one I put in burned out in a week.

Their customer service dept is nice, and I will be contacting them, but it seems their supplier has major quality control problems.

Raindrop

I just found this thread. I have 100% intolerance of florescent lights. It is extremely disabling.
I was just going to post on my problem with the florescent lights (and other lights) along with
severe inability to be in sunlight.

To answer the question asked about how others like LED's: I do not like them. They
are far too bright and glary and have a harsh quality to them. I have not been able to find
ANY bulbs I can tolerate other than the "old fashioned" ones.

I would like to know if anyone has sensitivity to fluorescents that is as (or nearly as) severe as mine.
I start to feel ill in about 5 minutes of stepping inside of a store or supermarket (as ALL stores
now have immense coverings of these lights). Sometimes I can make it for 25 minutes and sometimes
only 5 or 10. This is WITH a Big brimmed hat and sunglasses while I am shopping. It seems to have gotten
continually worse. The problem is horrific in that EVERYWHERE now there are these enormous fluorescents
covering the entire interior of any shopping malls/ department stores/ places like office depot/ drug stores/
grocery stores/ you name it. If I get any worse I have no one to go do these shopping trips or errands for me.

Can a few of you explain what is going on that makes being under these lights so unbearable?
I mean I know it is neurological, but my goodness......this is WAY extreme and incapacitating!!
HAS ANYONE FOUND ANYTHING THAT HELPS WITH PHOTO-SENSITIVITY AND/OR
FLUORESCENT LIGHTS? (beyond the huge hats and dark glasses I already use)

Also....I heard that the LAMPS are not going to be made with FIXTURES that will accommodate
the old bulbs in the future. Is this really true? Horror of all horrors!!

Loved the commend by L'engle: "I stopped being afraid of the dark when I realized I was more
afraid of the light"!! Right On!!

PearlGirl26

Living with CFS for years, recently diagnosed.
I have found my photo sensitivity to be directly related to sleep hygiene and general wellness. I wasn't even able to tolerate daylight until I got back to a regular sleep schedule of 12-8am. That and cutting back on melatonin to 1mg, to reduce hangover. I find the fluorescents annoying, but not as bad as before. Other contributing factors are estrogen levels and migraine sensitivity. Sleep schedule was achieved by limiting time in bed to one hour per day outside of nighttime. I now lie down on the couch if I am unable to sit up during the day. No warm baths or showers right before bed (they raise heart rate). Turn off stimulation like TV etc at least 30-60 min before bedtime. Melatonin at 10pm, magnesium/calcium at 11:30pm, klonopin at midnight.