• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Streptococcus overgrowth

Its been a long time since I have posted on this site. So after improving gut bacteria I didnt get hugely improved like I was hoping. Clearly there is more to this. So about 3 months ago I started on a heavy metal detox using the Andy Cutler method. So far early days and no significant improvements. But thought I'd just update.
Dont let this discourage anyone, as I think each person may have a different cause of their symptoms, and may react differently to different treatments. Additionally, my symptoms are less fatigue, and more mental such as poor memory, and indecisiveness. So the cause of my problem may be different than others. I was initially drawn to this forum due to the topic of discussion which was streptococcus.
I think strep does play a role in a variety of health problems. It may still be the problem in myself, however its not only the gut. I became aware that heavy metals such as mercury can be a problem, and one of the problems they can cause is weaken the immune system. So potentially strep may be in the body, and cant be destroyed by the immune system as heavy metals are present.
So, currently I am taking a bunch of vitamins and antioxidants for general support, and also taking metal detox supplements that includes DMPS/DMSA and ALA (Alpha lipoic acid).

Elph68

Its been a long time since I have posted on this site. So after improving gut bacteria I didnt get hugely improved like I was hoping. Clearly there is more to this. So about 3 months ago I started on a heavy metal detox using the Andy Cutler method. So far early days and no significant improvements. But thought I'd just update.
Dont let this discourage anyone, as I think each person may have a different cause of their symptoms, and may react differently to different treatments. Additionally, my symptoms are less fatigue, and more mental such as poor memory, and indecisiveness. So the cause of my problem may be different than others. I was initially drawn to this forum due to the topic of discussion which was streptococcus.
I think strep does play a role in a variety of health problems. It may still be the problem in myself, however its not only the gut. I became aware that heavy metals such as mercury can be a problem, and one of the problems they can cause is weaken the immune system. So potentially strep may be in the body, and cant be destroyed by the immune system as heavy metals are present.
So, currently I am taking a bunch of vitamins and antioxidants for general support, and also taking metal detox supplements that includes DMPS/DMSA and ALA (Alpha lipoic acid).
Hi Derek,

You may find magnesium injections and bi-carb soda dissolved in water helpful now.

cheers.

Hi,

I just want to share some info on "Feast without Yeast" diet as a possible answer to your problems. My son has autism and he is currently on this diet plus he is taking anti-yeast drug Nystatin. My son is doing great, he is actually improving so much that I hope he might be over his autism soon.

Anyway, apparently this diet also works for different conditions including eczema, migraines, all sorts of neurological disorders, and the diet can even help with Alzheimer’s. Dr. Bruce Semon has an autistic son, this is how he came up with this treatment. He treated his son and since then many other patients.

According to this doctor, most neurological disorders are caused by Candida yeast overgrow in GI tract. This overgrow doesn't show up in stool test, but the by-products of yeast overgrow can be found in Urine test.

My son had an OAT urine test and Stool test. Urine test showed extensive yeast overgrow in his GI tract. Stool test showed strep A and G strains (this is how I found this forum). I did some research and found that strep A and G should improve once the yeast infection in GI tract is treated.

So, "Feast without Yeast" diet is not as difficult or strict as low-carb, low-sugar diet. However, the diet is a long-term solution. Most people have to stay on this diet for a few years. It works so well for my son and I believe this should help you all guys with your health issues.

A few notes on the diet:

1) Diet works only in combination with Nystatin. Diet doesn't work on it's own.
2) All multivitamins and especially vitamin B have to be discontinued. They interract with Nystatin and the medicine doesn't work if vitamins are taken during the treatment.
3) You need to read the book "Feast without Yeast" to implement the diet.

This is the website of this doctor:

http://nutritioninstitute.com/

This is a short explanation and dosage of Nystatin:
http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/book/bk10sect2.html

And this is the book explaining this diet:
http://nutritioninstitute.com/feast-without-yeast/

Please try the diet or at least read the book to better understand how the yeast infection can be undetected for years and yet can create many health problems.

Hi this seems like one of the few threads on the interest about getting rid of strep in the intestines. I've been ill for 10years but only really known it was strep for the last 2years. Have many people got over it? It seems very hard to kill. I been seeing Dr kenny in Brussels since February this year, he been really helpful and I think his tests are great. But he only recommends a low dose of antibiotic . Reading this thread some have tried really high doses 4 at once. What's really worked for people?

I also read with interest about xyolol the sugar alcohol , I did try this years ago when I thought I had a candida problem but I felt really really ill when I had it. I found it so hard to tell if it was die off or if it was feeding something

Elph68

Hi this seems like one of the few threads on the interest about getting rid of strep in the intestines. I've been ill for 10years but only really known it was strep for the last 2years. Have many people got over it? It seems very hard to kill. I been seeing Dr kenny in Brussels since February this year, he been really helpful and I think his tests are great. But he only recommends a low dose of antibiotic . Reading this thread some have tried really high doses 4 at once. What's really worked for people?

I also read with interest about xyolol the sugar alcohol , I did try this years ago when I thought I had a candida problem but I felt really really ill when I had it. I found it so hard to tell if it was die off or if it was feeding something
Hi Streppy,

I am one of those people that have had the 4x antibiotic therapy (Vancomycin, Ciprofloxican, Augmentin Duo Forte and Aithromycin) at high strengths for a month. Completely removed strep from my bowel. I then had a long dose of clarithromycin (6 months) and I am now on a prophylactic dose of azithromycin indefinitely.

If you are going to go down the high dose antibiotics path, you need to replace the bacteria that are killed off with good ones. The only real way to do this is by placing them up your backside. Either by Fecal Matter Transplant or some of us have been using kefir grains.

Personally I have achieved 70-80% recovery. I am back to the gym every day, brain fog is gone, I still get some muscle pain and I get a bit tired if I really push the weights at the gym. Everything is gradually getting better and my bloods are coming back to normal range.

One of the big issues with some of these strep (viridans) species is protease. This is what causes the imbalance in the immune system from TH1 to TH2 so once they break through the gut walls and enter the lymphatic system it totally throws the immune system out of wack and basically burns it out.

Strep is what causes tartar on teeth, and it is the same principle ..... the teeth can get that furry feeling in a matter of hours ...... I believe the same happens in the gut ... Any slip from the treatment protocol will result in a very quick return to full blown symptoms.

Xylitol is a non fermentable sugar and acts like fiber in the large intestine, so it feeds the good guys. Strep takes in xylitol through the fructose receptors and is poisoned. It can cause bloating and gas (like any fiber does) and diarrhea. Eating fruit with xylitol reduces its effectiveness as a strep killer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Last edited:

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@Elph68
which test did you do to identify strep in the gut? I presume you did it through the doctor who prescribed the abx protocol? what a long one, but it worked!!

I used the tests in Brussels which look at normal gut floria. In the past I did the bio screen stool test found high strep then but did not really think it was important because I kept thinking candida was the problem.
I got ill 10 years ago after glandular fever was ill for about 5 years took trimethrim and got better. Then after a year the sytptoms came back again I took antibiotics and it totally went away. I did this for a few years each time the symptoms came back antibiotics and it would go in days. Then after about 10 years I was so ill. Horrific , could not see clearly could not get out of bed/ lying on the sofa, could not concentrate on a conversation felt like shit. Since then for the last 10 years better each year. I tried 2 years ago taking loads of antibiotics but I did not really know which ones to take, a guessing game. I was living in India and you could just get them over the counter. I started to improve quiet a lot then. Then after a year I thought this is mad what am I doing went and saw Dr kenny in Brussels . He saying take I azithromycin a day for 4 days then 3 days off. Then when my tests results came back high strep he just said two weeks of amoxilim duo as well. I can understand u don't want to wipe out your good bacteria but I really want to kill this bacteria. I hate it. Anyway I better do as I'm told for a while and hope it works I guess.

I tried the poo transfer did not work for me I guess you have to kill the bad guys start.

How do you find out what kind of strep you have?

How do you find out so much info elph? It is great talking to someone with the same problem :)

What I'm trying at the moment is putting the antibiotics in acid resistant capsules brought from Amazon and even then putting them in another kind I found from a lab in France . To try and get the antibiotics far down the intestines.

Has anyone found anywhere that will test the strep in our stools to see what antibiotics will kill it? I am just worried mine have got resistant

Hi Streppy,

I am one of those people that have had the 4x antibiotic therapy (Vancomycin, Ciprofloxican, Augmentin Duo Forte and Aithromycin) at high strengths for a month. Completely removed strep from my bowel. I then had a long dose of clarithromycin (6 months) and I am now on a prophylactic dose of azithromycin indefinitely.

If you are going to go down the high dose antibiotics path, you need to replace the bacteria that are killed off with good ones. The only real way to do this is by placing them up your backside. Either by Fecal Matter Transplant or some of us have been using kefir grains.

Personally I have achieved 70-80% recovery. I am back to the gym every day, brain fog is gone, I still get some muscle pain and I get a bit tired if I really push the weights at the gym. Everything is gradually getting better and my bloods are coming back to normal range.

One of the big issues with some of these strep (viridans) species is protease. This is what causes the imbalance in the immune system from TH1 to TH2 so once they break through the gut walls and enter the lymphatic system it totally throws the immune system out of wack and basically burns it out.

Strep is what causes tartar on teeth, and it is the same principle ..... the teeth can get that furry feeling in a matter of hours ...... I believe the same happens in the gut ... Any slip from the treatment protocol will result in a very quick return to full blown symptoms.

Xylitol is a non fermentable sugar and acts like fiber in the large intestine, so it feeds the good guys. Strep takes in xylitol through the fructose receptors and is poisoned. It can cause bloating and gas (like any fiber does) and diarrhea. Eating fruit with xylitol reduces its effectiveness as a strep killer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
What do you mean your bloods in normal range? Do you mean the normal blood test your doctor does, so white blood cell count ?

How do you know you have strep ' viridans'

knackers323

Hi @Streppy how do you know that the strep is what is responsible for your symptoms?

Have you ever taken clarithromycin or any other macrolide?

How soon after starting and stopping the abx do your symptoms go and come back? Thanks mate. I have strep too. But don't most people?

Hi @Streppy how do you know that the strep is what is responsible for your symptoms?

Have you ever taken clarithromycin or any other macrolide?

How soon after starting and stopping the abx do your symptoms go and come back? Thanks mate. I have strep too. But don't most people?
Hi I used to take trimethrim and all my symptoms would disappear . My symptoms are fatigue , Brian fog, halos around lights. Can't eat carbs without feeling really ill like have flu or a viris. All my glands enlarge and I get a sore throat.

For the last 10 years it's not worked. Or at least I thought it did not work because I used to be able to take it for a week and the symptoms would just go. For the last two years I been trying antibiotics to get rid of it . I taken a lot of erythromycin not tried the one you said maybe I try that later.

Dr kenny in Brussels said strep lives at the end of the small instestine, where the stomach acid does not kill it and then it goes all the way to the large bowel. That's why I trying putting the antibiotics in acid resistant capsules . It's just a guess.
Everyone has strep. But not everyone has a overgrowth of strep . Everyone has yeast but some people have a over growth of yeast. Anyway I feel there is too much talk of yeast ! Not many doctors seem to understand thAt strep a problem. On the test they did in Brussels my strep should have be less than 5 but mine was 85 :(

I live off green veg and meat and fish drink water . So bored off it:) thanks for replying good to talk to others with same problem :)

knackers323

Sorry and how soon after begining to take it would you start to feel better. A day, a few days, a week?

From what you've written it sounds like all your symptoms were gone in a week. And took a year to come back. Maybe you should have continued to take it for a week or so after the last symptom disappeared.

I would feel better after one day of the clarithromycin, but stay at that new level for the next week until a day after I stopped it.

My Dr said if it worked this fast then it is unlikely due to it killing something but immune modulating/anti inflammatory effects.?

Yes I think your right when I was younger I could take trimethrim for a week and the symptoms would go , but I probably was not killing it all off. Over the years it became used to the antibiotics and now I've been stuck like it for 10 years. 8 years of which I got in my head it was a yeast infection. The last couple of years I been trying to kill it with antibiotics at first just guessing what to take. Now I'm doing what Dr kenny telling me to do. I do however think it's working just slow progress!

I look into clarithromycin thanks for the tip:)

Hey Streppy & Elph68,
My son age 13 has been severely sick for 3 years. Been seeing same Dr as you since 2013. Had dramatic decline in health age 10 but had gut problems since birth. Became wheelchair bound and Dr Kenny got him walking again with high dose B12 in 2013 but he never got back to normal or able to go to school and had previously been a super athlete. Then in 2014 he had emergency surgery involving a bowel resection for a congential abnormality in the bowel which explained a lot as his ileum was infected and ulcerated. (Of course converntional Drs still won't accept his fatigue is related.) Did 6 weeks IV in his clinic earlier this year for Lyme but looks like the Lyme was a red herring and the real problem is the gut. So Dr K started treating the strep with Rifaximin in May and the latest stool results today show another increase in strep so very disheartened. On the bright side my son has improved hugely since starting GAPS/ketogenic diet and cutting out carbs so no more d-lactate etc poisoning him. But really worried about the increase in strep as I believe once the strep is gone he will recover.
You guys seem to know a lot. I have given him silver before but probably not enough for long enough. But wary of silver as he already has the usual heavy metals and toxicity that comes with this illness.I understand FMT won't help as in the small intestine.
Any other ideas to get on top of the strep.
What do you think?

Hi I took ornidazol and ethryromycin for three months following Dr kenny advice and sadly the results came back higher like your sons. I'm now going to give a go to the amoxicillin duo , and vancomycin and maybe azithromycin as well, but I'm worried because I have tried all these drugs before they improved things but did not cure it. And I probably have resistant strep now. I would not give my child high doses of antibiotics without a Dr saying do it. Maybe try going to Georgia and try the plague theory out? At least that does not seem to cause harm. Silver sounds good but most of the herbal things don't seem to have real effect. For me I taking all these antibiotics and the silver. But I can't just live with this I had it 12 years, at times it's really messed up my life, lost good jobs a husband, so many really bad memories of walking round like a total zombie unable to keep conversations going as my mind drifts away. I'm not like this any more , I am quite strong but I want to get over it and move on with life