• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study links genetics, anti-nerve agent pills to GWI

Nielk

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...-gulf-war-illness-nerve-agent-pills/22363913/

A small research study at Baylor University has identified a genetic difference between veterans who developed symptoms of Gulf War illness after deploying to that 1990-91 conflict and those who deployed but didn't get sick.

The finding — touted as the first "direct evidence" that genetic factors may contribute to a veteran's risk for Gulf War illness — links the use of anti-nerve agent pills and troops' genetic makeup.

Baylor University Institute of Biomedical Studies researcher Lea Steele and others examined the genetic profile of 304 Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm veterans, including 144 former troops who had Gulf War illness symptoms and 160 who did not.

The scientists found that veterans with a gene variant that complicates their bodies' efforts to metabolize chemicals in anti-nerve agent pills — pyridostigmine bromide, or PB — were up to 40 times more likely to have Gulf War illness symptoms than those who took the pills or were exposed but had a different gene variant.

Steele said the findings are preliminary but point to a physical reason why as many as one in four troops who deployed to the region fell ill while others came through fine.

"Scientists have long thought this might be because of some genetic interaction. We know different people break down toxicants differently based on their genotypes," Steele said.
continue here

The gene is BCHE, and the SNPs mentioned in the study are rs1799807 and rs1803274.

rs1803274 A539T Pathogenic Missense Mutation ("T" allele = "K variant"). TT = 4% of the general population, CT = 30% of the population. Out of 31 ME patients, we have 6 who are CT. Out of 31 controls we have 4 who are CT and one who is TT. So no real difference in prevalence in that sample.

rs1799807 D70G Pathogenic Missense Mutation ("C" allele). They don't seem to be doing anything with this one, as far as I can tell, even though they tested for it. All 31 ME patients and controls who I have data for are "TT".

We look quite normal for the rest of the SNPs on the gene as well.

beaverfury

beaverfury
Looks like the gulf war veterans face the same old bullshit that me/cfs folk face when claiming benefits.

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/...-gulf-war-illness-nerve-agent-pills/22363913/
'VA encourages former troops with Gulf War illness symptoms to file claims for health care and benefits. But ill veterans say the department is dismissive of their complaints and has actively sought to undermine their efforts to get treatment and compensation for their disabling diseases.

Last year, data provided to Congress indicated that nearly 80 percent of the 54,193 claims filed for Gulf War-related illnesses were denied.'

It's appalling that they can be poisoned by their own country, sent overseas to be shot at, and then get summarily forgotten when they get home.

I took pyridostigmine bromide for 3 years after I had been diagnosed with myasthenia gravis - has this contributed to my CFS (or possibly GWI)? Oh, to be able to afford the 23 and me test!!!