• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The worst feeling with sleepiness...

dmholmes

I really have no idea how to best describe this. Sometimes when I crash, along with extreme sleepiness there is a really bad mental feeling. It's not while sleeping, but trying to sleep and so sleepy it feels like the life is being sucked out of you. Not sure but it may be a type of anxiety or toxicity (glutamate?). Anybody have an idea?

Martial

Well I can get flares where my symptoms magnify and everything becomes more inflammed and irritated. I get what you mention all the time when it does, usually the biggest cause from hypoxia like episodes because I already have brain inflammation/hypo perfusion. When those crashes and flares happen it makes all of that ten times worse. It is a nasty feeling to deal with and sorry to hear you are having the same or a similar thing. I really can't find anything to help when it does, usually just ride it out until it goes away. I used a lot of things for perfusion, inflammation, etc. Usually it doesn't help much and it tends to just come and go on its own.

dmholmes

Thanks @Martial. I've really struggled with a label for this one since there is no headache-type pain associated. Do you think it's a massive acute anxiety feeling from inflammation or hypoxia? Have you measured oxygen levels during an episode?

Martial

Thanks @Martial. I've really struggled with a label for this one since there is no headache-type pain associated. Do you think it's a massive acute anxiety feeling from inflammation or hypoxia? Have you measured oxygen levels during an episode?

I wouldn't say hypoxia in the classical case, it's more like a chronic hypo perfusion state of the brain. When the inflammation becomes more acute, or if there is a higher drop in perfusion then your brain will get even less oxygen and the symptoms become more pronounced. I have measured oxygen and it does weird things at times but nothing to warrant a medical emergency. I remember you having panels for mycoplasma, that can easily cause some of these issues.

The only thing I would make sure you do is rule out the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning, do you have a carbon monoxide detector in or around your room? Sometimes there can be gas leaks or other causes that create chronic but not life threatening carbon monoxide exposure. This can cause a lot of symptoms similar to CFS and the like but can be lethal if exposure is too great. Definitely do make sure there is nothing like that going on and purchase a carbon monoxide detector if you do not own one.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have exactly the same feeling as you and Martial...so nasty...got it right now - brain feels swollen, so tired, but I know if a awake in the night I will feel even more awful.