• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thorne 5-MTHF

Is Thorne 5-MTHF an "approved" brand for L-5_Methyltetrahydrofolate? I was going to supplement with Metagenics Folapro via the crush/water method, but I see that Thorne's folate is a capsule, so I would be able to omit the crush portion of the method. But I wasn't sure if Thorne is Metafolin and if so, if it is 100% Metafolin.

I'm new to this and am trying to read up on everything as fast as possible, but from what I've retained so far, I believe Merck's Metafolin is the preferred source of folate and that some supplements may contain only partial Metafolin.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

Gingergrrl

My doctor recommended 5-MTHF by Methylpro.com. It is a capsule and I bought empty capsules at Vitamin Shop so I could start with a very low dose. It is going well so far as I am increasing the dose slowly.

PeterPositive

I have been using Solgar's metafolin for quite some time now (~3 years), taking 4-5x 800mcg tabs a day (I have the MTHFR C677T++ issue)

I recently ordered a bottle of the Thorne 5mg 5-MTHF and this morning I took half capsule to try it out... Boy this one is powerful!

I don't get the same "kick" from the 3x 800 Metafolin I usually take in the morning. Did anyone else also found such difference between the two?

cheers