• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thyroid

wastwater

Does anyone know of any other conditions where the thyroid can be effected without antibodies,the only one I can think of is bipolar depression but I don't know enough about it to know if it typically involves antibodies.

Does anyone know of any other conditions where the thyroid can be effected without antibodies,the only one I can think of is bipolar depression but I don't know enough about it to know if it typically involves antibodies.
The autoimmune disease Hashimoto's does not present with antibodies in approximatley 30% of cases I believe.

CantThink

Viral attack on thyroid can cause thyroiditis - my mother suffered from this (I read 95% recover thyroid function within 18 months of initial attack, but she didn't). Pregnancy and post partum also can affect it. Certain medications including lithium can impact the thyroid as well.

Gondwanaland

I found that high nitrate and salicylate vegetables/greens affected my thyroid more negatively than said "goitrogens".

I reversed it with magnesium supplementation and now I can eat those foods again with no apparent detrimental effect on my thyroid.

izzy

redaxe

Have you had your iodine levels checked for defiency? Iodine is a building block of thyroid hormones as well as being needed in other biological roles. Many soils are very deficient in iodine and this will lead to dietary deficiency.

Apparently iodised salt is not enough to overcome deficiency and the modern additions of chlorine & fluroide to drinking water and bromine in bread baking has made iodine deficiencies more frequent.

wastwater

I know that radiation destroys the thyroid but I didn't think it was relevant for most people with ME.I was looking for a different way it could be affected,I don't know much about cAMP but I think thyroid could be affected in this way.

wastwater

My cAMP explaination goes as far as typing in cAMP and Thyroid.I was hoping someone with more knowledge could investigate it.