• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Today's Blog: Officially, I Can Afford to Get Sick Again!

ahmo

Wow, Congratulations!
stars-shower-smiley.gif

Sea

Very happy for you Karen.

Quote from Karen's blog...
"Apparently, I breath too many times per minute – he guessed about 20 times per minute while a healthy rate should be about 8 times. Later when I tested myself at home, I got rates from 17 – 30. All far too high.

Additionally, if you breathe in, then out, then hold your nose, you should be able to do so for at least 30 seconds. 15 – 30 seconds is a sign of a moderate breathing problem, 0 – 14 a severe problem. I scored 12 seconds.

The rating test he gave me was also highly indicative of it. He said a score of about 10 was completely normal. I, on the other hand, had a score of 36!"

I am interested in the breathing info. What was involved in the rating test you mentioned?

As a wind instrument player and a singer I've breathed "well" as long as I can remember. My rate per minute is around 10. I can no longer however breath out and then hold for more than 16 seconds. I used to be able to do a controlled breath out for well over a minute, but that has declined significantly in the last few years. Today I couldn't go more than 20 seconds. I'd love to know why. It's not that I'm needing to take a new breath in, it just feels like my diaphragm and the muscles supporting it are too weak to maintain the necessary support any longer and the remaining air comes rushing out.

Last edited:

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Additionally, if you breathe in, then out, then hold your nose, you should be able to do so for at least 30 seconds. 15 – 30 seconds is a sign of a moderate breathing problem, 0 – 14 a severe problem. I scored 12 seconds.
Hi, is there a name for this? I'd like to read up on it.

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
I've edited my post to make it clear that quote is from Karen's blog. I too am interested in knowing more about it.
I just tried it. I went fairly easily for 30 seconds after an exhale, then another 10 seconds until I couldn't hold out anymore. Then I did the breaths per minute a few times and got 7-8. (it's not easy to breath naturally if I'm focused on timing my breathing - so I started at the top of a minute according to my computer clock, then began reading a page to partially distract myself - meanwhile still counting but not watching the clock.)

This ostensibly passes. Still, I never did have good lung power even pre-CFS, maybe from bronchoconstriction due to constant histamine from mast cells.

I will try it again when I'm in a condition where I am out of breath just from going upstairs.