• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Trusting (or not trusting) professionals, others and oneself

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I could not find a forum that seemed really suitable for this item but I think it is very relevant to us. It is a thoughtful examination of the decision-making processes in professionals (including doctors) and others, and how often and why decisions are often wrong, and also looks at the need for non-professionals to educate and empower themselves to challenge 'experts'. It also points out the need to question one's own views and decisions.

It's a 15-minute radio programme which was on BBC Radio 4 last night.

I hope everyone can listen from here. If not, maybe I or someone else can find another link where people outside the UK can listen.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I couldn't access the BBC site so I don't know the details of that talk but I found a link to a TED talk by the same person.
Very interesting. If you go to the link I provide you can also use the social media links to show support for the thoughts and create influence.
https://www.ted.com/talks/noreena_hertz_how_to_use_experts_and_when_not_to#t-197818

An especially relevant comment was that it's not just about creating new paradigms but actively destroying old ones. (I'm paraphrasing)

alex3619

I am still listening to the video (on the second link, downloaded) but the attitudes given are essentially mine so far. Questions are critical. Deference to experts often means being mired in dogma.