• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Type of ME

What type of ME do you have? (if this were the options like in MS)

• Total voters

Seven7

Seven
Imagine ME is like MS and we have types: Which type are you?

Relapsing-remitting MS (RRMS)
RRMS — the most common disease course — is characterized by clearly defined attacks of worsening neurologic function. These attacks — also called relapses, flare-ups or exacerbations — are followed by partial or complete recovery periods (remissions), during which symptoms improve partially or completely and there is no apparent progression of disease. Approximately 85 percent of people with MS are initially diagnosed with relapsing-remitting MS.

Secondary-progressive MS (SPMS)
The name for this course comes from the fact that it follows after the relapsing-remitting course. Most people who are initially diagnosed with RRMS will eventually transition to SPMS, which means that the disease will begin to progress more steadily (although not necessarily more quickly), with or without relapses.

Primary-progressive MS (PPMS)
PPMS is characterized by steadily worsening neurologic function from the beginning. Although the rate of progression may vary over time with occasional plateaus and temporary, minor improvements, there are no distinct relapses or remissions. About 10 percent of people with MS are diagnosed with PPMS.

Progressive-relapsing MS (PRMS)
PRMS — the least common of the four disease courses — is characterized by steadily progressing disease from the beginning and occasional exacerbations along the way. People with this form of MS may or may not experience some recovery following these attacks; the disease continues to progress without remissions.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I had one 'relapse' - I nearly recovered from the initial infection over several months. From then it has been a long, slow progressive worsening. Would you call that primary-progressive or secondary-progressive?

ukxmrv

I don't think that I am any of these. Comparing to 4 different MS types which seem to be based around relapsing/remitting isn't going to be close enough to the course of ME in all patients.

I've never had a remission and my disease has decades and years when it is a little better and then the same when it is worse.

Strawberry

I voted PPMS as I am being optimistic. I have had a constant slow downward spiral over 25+ years, but I am hoping that with my next home (less air pollution) that I might improve some. If I don't improve at all within a year, regretfully I would have to classify myself as PRMS...

Seven7

Seven
I had one 'relapse' - I nearly recovered from the initial infection over several months. From then it has been a long, slow progressive worsening. Would you call that primary-progressive or secondary-progressive?
I did Secondary-progressive, I had same pattern but 3 remissions instead of one at beginning then continuous decline. I am just using MS since I always wonder if we have remitting relapsing types.