• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Update on Gillian McCarthy's Den project

mermaid

Some of you may remember that I wrote an article here http://phoenixrising.me/archives/14991 and started a thread here http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/gillian-mccarthy-winter-den-appeal.20849/ to try and raise money and awareness of the project.

Along the way articles have been written in Positive News http://positivenews.org.uk/2013/wellbeing/11815/sensitive-building-project/ and Permaculture magazine.

It has taken a lot longer to accomplish than was hoped as we are now about 18 months in and still not finished. Gillian has just gone through another winter - warmer but wetter and her hut leaks, though she is mercifully not on the flood plain in Somerset! The main body of the Den is completed but a 2nd stage was to build on a kind of small annexe with toilet and small kitchen area and it is internal work here where further funding is needed, as well as other things that are related to this, like drainage.

Jo Hanstead lives near Gillian and visits her regularly and is a trusted person involved with helping complete the project. She has set up a Gofundme page here http://www.gofundme.com/77lops for this final push.

I appreciate that many of us are not well off, but I would really appreciate it if people could give where they are able, but also as important to share this page on whatever social media you are able to use.

Please do not use any of the previous links to giving, on the articles above as I am not sure which ones are still working now.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thanks Mermaid for updating us. What a shame it isn't yet finished. Are there any up to date photos anywhere? Also how is Gillian faring? Yes a terrible wet winter, but at least not as cold for her.

Any news also on the councils decision/attempts re removing the den or Gillian?

TC
Justy

Countrygirl

Thank you for updating us, Mermaid. You and those involved in the Den project have achieved wonders so far, and of course, it is essential to now complete it so Gillian can finally move in.

I think her resilience over the 17? years she has lived in the field is remarkable, but she is fast catching me up in age ;) and we OAPs are not good at living in such dire conditions. Gillian's circumstances have been very worrying for years and it is remarkable that she has survived this long.

Due to the deteriorating health through age of her main supporter, she is becoming increasingly vulnerable and we just must ensure that the Den is completed this year. I would also love for her to finally have access to a computer. This would give her independence and she could finally take part in the ME community where she could share her scientific expertise for the benefit of us all.

Please.........if you are able to spare a few pounds.........consider contributing towards the completion of the Den, so that Gillian can have some of the basics that we enjoy....................... particularly a warm, dry, and secure environment. It would literally save her life.

As a community we must take care of each other.......................because the state certainly won't help us if we have ME/MCS, especially in the UK.

Please help if you can.

Thank you.

C.G.

mermaid

Thank you for your comments Justy and CG. Yes, donations would be great, but also if this could be shared on suitable sites and places that I may not know of that would be fantastico! :)

I hope we can get some more up to date photos put on the Gofundme site Justy v soon. I think Gillian is trying to get me some, so I will see what we can do once that is sorted, to change the photo on that site.

Gillian has been struggling recently with what she believes to be TIAs but I think the warmer dryer weather will have given a bit of respite. Unfortunately now it's about to turn cold ......

The council seem to be leaving her in peace and since they are asking her to pay Council Tax (!) they can hardly object to her staying there I feel. I am doing my best to assist with these kinds of issues by acting as her advocate.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Thank you for working so hard on Gillian's behalf.

Justy.