• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vaping Turmeric

Asklipia

We have tried Meriva as well as LEF High Curcumin. Both made us angry too.
Vaping did not have this effect.
As you suggest, it could be because there is not enough turmeric in there.
But we did get benefits, similar to eating a lot of turmeric. There is a subtle difference. The concentrated turmeric supplements kind of "lack" something. Something which we found in the vapor.
Something which is in the food, but much stronger and more available I suppose.

Please consider that I only described our experiment and do not advocate in any way vaping turmeric!!!!!

Meriva does not put much turmeric in their product? Maybe it is a good idea. I found too much concentration like in LEF is too much for us. Maybe it is all about the curcuminoids.

leela

@Hip, in Ayurvedic medicine they add piperine (black pepper) to increase absorption of curcumin from turmeric. In Ayurveda it is
stressed the importance of taking the whole plant, not the extracted curcumin, so the synergistic effects of all the consituents can be availed of. Have you tried a formula like that for your higher doses? I do think the plants embody a specific intelligence in their completeness that has so far been lost on modern science, which likes to compartmentalise almost irrationally at times.

alex3619

I haven't tried this, but it does have me intrigued. However I wonder if vaporizing it is necessary. The process of making it seems simple. If the main benefit is absorption through the lungs, then vaporization might be necessary. However it may be that it can be absorbed under the tongue or through the nose directly, as we often do with vitamins like B12, thus bypassing the gut. Has this been tried?

Asklipia

It is true that the Volcano does not extract all the curcumins, and I use the left-over from the operation in my cooking. It still tastes right. But whatever gets into my lungs does some kind of work I have not been able to do otherwise.

Hip

I just did a quick experiment on the kitchen gas hob: I put a quarter of a 900 mg capsule of Swanson Curcumin Complex in an old teaspoon, and heated it in the gas flame. Within about 30 seconds, this yellow powder started melting into a golden brown liquid, and then soon after started bubbling (ie, boiling), and giving of some very light fumes. Swanson curcumin complex contains: curcumin, demethoxycurcumin and bisdemethoxycurcumin, so the light fumes were just the gaseous form of these three curcumoids. The flame temperature of a domestic gas hob is just over 1000ºC, so it can easily boil these curcumoids.

I then took the teaspoon away from the gas, and held it about 1 foot below my nose, and started sniffing in the vapors. There was no irritation to the nose or mouth as I breathed in these vapors. I did this for about two minutes.

However, I felt no decongestant effect, nor any other effects in the minutes or hours after this. My nose is always a little congested, but sniffing in curcuminiod vapors had no effect on my nasal congestion. It could be that I did not breath in these vapors for long enough, though.

Later I tried the same thing with some turmeric, but I found this burnt and charred when heated in the teaspoon, so the fumes were a bit too strong to sniff in. I think you'd need to use the much lower temperatures of a vaporizer for turmeric.

Last edited:

leela

@Asklipia, I was wondering what inspired you to first freeze and squeeze before dehydrating the turmeric? Is there a specific benefit compared to simply slicing the turmeric and letting it dehydrate? Thanks!

Asklipia

@Asklipia, I was wondering what inspired you to first freeze and squeeze before dehydrating the turmeric? Is there a specific benefit compared to simply slicing the turmeric and letting it dehydrate? Thanks!
In the beginning I did this because I bought my turmeric in Thailand, and I had to bring it back where I lived. It was heavy and would not keep for long out of the fridge and I had to travel around.
So I thought of a way to make it last longer.
And I saw in India that people do all kinds of things to turmeric to destroy the cells before drying it. Boiling it to make the cells explode for example.
Freezing I thought would achieve that, as well as kill some unnecessary bugs that might be in it.
Also it is not possible to vaporize it in the Volcano if it is not dry.

So we did all this, tried it and got good results.

leela

I wonder if it is this freezing process, which possibly alters the cells, that makes the curcuminoids available in vapor before their normal boiling point?
I don't know anything about the science of this stuff, but maybe that's why you're having vape success :)
A friend is going to loan me his machine, but it is an inexpensive one so I don't know about the temps. We'll see.

Asklipia

Yes, we thought if there were volatile oils in there, they would disappear with the boiling, so we did freezing.
If they have to vaporize, it should be going inside our body!

One tip : we vaped by alternating nostrils as well as the mouth. Nice also when you have inhaled to keep the smoke in and move the torso in different ways to make sure that the curcumins reach new parts.
Nice also to pinch your nose and to send the smoke up towards the palate from the lungs, and roll the eyes.

leela

Hey, Asklipia, I've got the loaner machine now, and a whole bunch of turmeric root in the freezer. Would you mind saying more specifically the next steps you did?
Did you thaw them and then sort of smash them between towels? Did you then put them in something like the warming drawer of the oven
until dehydrated completely?

I'm motivated to try this for so many reasons, not the least of which is my sinuses are off the wall right now.

Tagging @madietodd because I think this might be up her alley.

Asklipia

Hey, Asklipia, I've got the loaner machine now, and a whole bunch of turmeric root in the freezer. Would you mind saying more specifically the next steps you did?
Did you thaw them and then sort of smash them between towels? Did you then put them in something like the warming drawer of the oven
until dehydrated completely?

I'm motivated to try this for so many reasons, not the least of which is my sinuses are off the wall right now.

Tagging @madietodd because I think this might be up her alley.
Hi Leela! I wish you all the best with the vaping!:hug:
I thawed them in the colander, then pushed a bit to extract more water, then dried roughly in paper towels then cut them in half length-wise, then on the cooling grid in the oven. Not too hot, in the dark (I covered the oven light with a piece of aluminium paper).
When they are stone hard, they are dry, then in a jar in the dark.
For vaping, I used a clean pepper mill and crushed very little turmeric to put in the vaporizer. Once I have used it, I pour the resultant powder in a jar for use as turmeric in the kitchen.
It has to be dry otherwise it would damage the vaporizer.

Take it easy. If it is pungent, you have put too much turmeric. You should feel the taste but it should be pleasant. The effects are subtle but progressive. I feel it cleaned our ajna chakra and many of our long term wishes came true in a month or so!!!! Sometimes you get a slight headache, some die-off in the sinuses, just skip a day or too.
Otherwise one vaping bag a day for two was enough.

We do it after meeting people. I found most of them are really sicker than we are and tend to sneeze and cough happily all over you. Obviously possessed by something that wants to stay with us :(.

Do report!:balloons:

Last edited:

Hip

Just for interest: two of the most powerful ways I found to clear nasal/sinus congestion and inflammation are:

• Snorting a tiny amount (15 mg) of the supplement germanium sesquioxide into the nostrils. This works fast: within an hour or two your nasal and sinus cavities will be very clear.

• Taking the supplement N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG) orally, at a dose of around 750 to 1500 mg daily. Clears the sinuses very well if you take it daily. NAG also has powerful anti-anxiety effects (see here).

leela

Well, I am using a machine not suited to this material, but was able to vape a small chunk twice (with a little accidental smoking!). I would say that the effect is energizing in a calm way for me. I vaped at 5pm yesterday and was alert until 1am, so I chose an earlier vaping time today!
Nasal passages immediately much clearer, though sinus (quite naturally i think) still stuffy.
I am just getting off strep throat that followed an ear infection, so this is good timing I think.

The machine I am currently employing uses a narrow cylinder that holds the material vertically above the heating element. Since it's designed for a stickier material, it has no screen, so the turmeric risks falling out of the tube onto the heating element. Which it did the second time, hence the accidental smoking.

However I have seen an alternative machine, for those who might be interested, that is on sale until tomorrow that reaches 500º and is much less of an investment than the volcano. FYI the volcano also reaches 500º according to that website.
http://www.vapeworld.com/arizer-v-tower-vaporizer

Thanks, @Asklipia, for doing this experiment and sharing it with us. I feel this is a really friendly and healing thing for me right now.

Asklipia

You are right @leela about the energizing effect. We normally vape after siesta and did not notice a problem with sleep in the evening. Yesterday we tried it at 8 pm just before going to bed and we kept talking for an hour!

Also I forgot to mention that it is a good idea to warm the turmeric for 20 seconds in the vaporizer with hot air before you inhale. This ensures the highest possible temperature.
Be well!!!!
:hug:

leela

FYI I acquired a machine that heats to 500F (with a display) and it's really easy to use--plus you can see the material well
while vaping, which is helpful. It's the Arizer V-tower and with discount it was $112.

I really like the machine, and this method of taking in turmeric! It tastes so nice and feels so
extremely friendly. Thank you @Asklipia for letting us know!

Asklipia

Thank you @leela for the feedback. It is interesting to know that there is an alternative so that vaping turmeric can be dpne for less money. Do tell me if after a month or so of vaping everyday you get all your wishes (or nearly) come true. I suppose it affects strongly the ajna chakra.
Only bad side was, when I stopped vaping regularly, lots of problems and hindrances appeared in our life, so we are back on the vaporizer again and it seems we are getting again that "dreams come true" effect. Very strange.

leela

Thanks @ asklipia, for the reminder. It is so easy to forget things lately, and what's more, I am in an apparent nightmares-come-true phase (long story including serious mold infestation), so I'll take the assist from turmeric and any and all allies!

I must say I appreciated yesterday (my first vape after more than a month) the immediate benefits. Right away I felt gently (not jangly) energized and uplifted, from a deep exhaustion (I am moving house this week.) *While* I was vaping, a friend called to say he was coming over to help me move some heavy things.

So, yes, I hear you :)

E.T.A.: I had totally forgotten that I had already posted about the arizer! Boy my memory is really going :eek::thumbdown: