1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Video - 8 minutes: Watch Gulf War Veteran Testify About the Harms of the IOM Report; GET and CBT for

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Nielk, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

Written testimony here
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I watched this a while back - it's very impressive testimony and extremely chilling. If this is how the VA and the US govt have treated its own forces veterans, it speaks very poorly of what we PWME can expect.

I think Mr Hardie starts talking about the IOM about 5:00 minutes in.

I know that the situation with the HHS and IOM is complex but GWI is basically the canary in the mine for us. The IOM have no expertise in creating diagnostic guidelines and they've stacked the GWI with people without expertise in GWI. The few who do have knowledge of it are stacked towards the psychosocial model.

If it wasn't for this, I'd feel much less doubt about HHS's intentions for ME/CFS.
  3. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    It is chilling listening to Hardie. There are so many parallels to our own situation. There is no evidence or past record to show us that we will be treated any differently from the GWI patients.
    Bob likes this.
  4. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I think they're as pissed off as we are. But with guns and combat training :thumbsup:
    Snowdrop, leela, Bob and 5 others like this.
  5. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    The sad part though is that this "war" is so stacked against us that we have no chance in winning.
  6. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Is there a way for our patient's advocates to reach to the organizers of GWS to support signing our letter????
  7. AbbyDear

AbbyDear

usa
    does not surprise me. its bad difficult enough to research the technical underlying issues/causes, without bureaucratic hindrance and misdirection. it is so much easier to blame the unseen, and undocumented (via blood test or imaging) on psych issues. there seems to be push in that direction.
    Nielk likes this.
  8. readyforlife

readyforlife Senior Member

Wow very disturbing. He could of been talking about cfs/me it was so similar. If our government is treating these men and women who served our country like this, we don't have a chance in hell. He talks of government lies and deceit sounds so familiar. I'm sitting here in shock after watching that video.
    justinreilly and Nielk like this.
  9. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    This is worth a view if you have not done so yet in order to better understand the stakes of the IOM contract.
    justinreilly likes this.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Mr. Hardie states in his testimony to IOM panel:

(my bold)
    justinreilly and Bob like this.
  11. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    For those who think the IOM will be receptive to us and transparent - Hardie states:

12. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I asked the contact at IOM for MEcfs for the MEcfs contract and she said IOM will not release it. She suggested asking HHS. I have sent an email, we'll see.
  13. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I just watched the video again. It's well worth watching for any one interested in the IOM contact. If you don't want to watch the whole video then watch the section about the IOM which starts at 5.00. He says that he has been told that the IOM's approach for creating a diagnostic criteria (via a review of the literature) was unprecedented, and that the VA had been instructed by law to focus on expert physicians involved in the illness and had ignored this. And he pointed out that there was a lack of good literature because the field had been starved of good research. As others have said in this thread it all sounds very familiar! And there are uncanny parallels between the wider work of the VA and what the ME community has experienced over the years.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  14. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Interesting piece from Forbes, Bob, I don't know if you'd read. From June. Here.
  15. Bob

Bob

England, UK
  16. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I've found the full video that the 8 minute segment is taken from.
    I found it very interesting.
    It shows further parallels between ME/CFS and GWI/CMI.

Notice that the representatives from the IOM (first panel of witnesses) and the Dept of VA (second panel of witnesses) tend not to answer the important questions put to them. Instead, they respond ambiguously, and answer questions that weren't put to them.

When they get to the second panel of witnesses, watch out for Dr Hunt, who seems to be their very own SW. And watch out for the slides that are shown.
    And notice the apparent all-round incompetence of the VA leadership. Perhaps it's intentional incompetence.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr2sAlf4QeQ

Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

See more popular forum discussions.