• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vivonex Elemental Diet Experiences?

acer2000

Has anyone tried the Vivonex Elemental diet to deal with small intestinal bacteria overgrowth (SIBO)? Are there any side effects? I know that it supposedly starves the bad bacteria in the small intestine, but what effect does it have on the good bacteria? Anyone know?

Daffodil

vivonex or tolerex.....looking to maybe try this for a week or 2 to get rid of SIBO....but wondering about the possible dangers with CFS/weight loss....and even if i can do it.

has anyone tried this?

brain fog is such a big problem for me

sscobalt93

@Daffodil have you been tested for SIBO? This diet is very dangerous and the Vivonex ingredients are not what I would consider healthy by any means. If you are certain you have SIBO you could go on a low FODMAP diet and use peppermint oil enertic capsules. Heres a protocol: http://fixyourgut.com/treatment-of-gerd-protocol-1-sibo/

Brain fog can be from many things. Excess ammonia comes to mind. It can also be from methylation, parasites, low iron, many things.

You didn't even mention abdomial pain/bloating. Which makes me wonder why you think its sibo causing your brain fog. We need more information to be able to help.

Daffodil

@Daffodil @acer2000

Did you guys try using this?

If so, what was your experience?
hi snookum. no i didnt use it. the brain fog is a little better with the lyme antibiotics now. i did test positive for SIBO in the past but i think almost all CFS patients have it.

recently, they found overgrowth of enterococcus in my stool and treated with amoxicillin. didnt seem to do anything

acer2000

I used it. I felt somewhat better on it, but I don't think it solved my SIBO problem as I am still sensitive to FODMAPs even after doing the diet.

globalpilot

There is a recipe for a homemade version of Alison Siebeckers website (siboinfo.com Ithink) for those who wish to avoid some of the ingredients in Vivonex. You can also tailor it to your own needs - more fat, less fat etc.

I plan to try this as soon as my ingredients arrive.

Snookum96

There is a recipe for a homemade version of Alison Siebeckers website (siboinfo.com Ithink) for those who wish to avoid some of the ingredients in Vivonex. You can also tailor it to your own needs - more fat, less fat etc.

I've seen that. I don't feel like I'm knowledgeable enough to play with a recipe that way. That's why I was thinking Vivonex, because I'm worried about making sure I get everything I need.

Is it the corn products you are trying to avoid?

acer2000

Vivonex Plus (the recommended one from the paper) has maltodextrin. It does have a very large amount of sugar in it. So much so, that I had to switch to eating every few hours on it because I could only tolerate a single package (not two as recommended) per meal or else I'd get large blood sugar swings.

Last edited:

Snookum96

Ugh I didn't realize how much sugar was in it. I try to avoid sugar as I don't tolerate it well. Homemade formula might be a better option for me.

Thinktank

How did the homemade elemental diet work out for you?