• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Waking up at night difficulty to breathe with a gassy taste

Thinktank

Every night i wake up several times totally confused and unable to breathe properly. There's also some kind of gassy taste when i exhale.

I then have to sit up straight for 30 minutes or go outside and focus on my breathing until that gassy taste i have in my mouth has subsided and my brain feels less swollen. 2 to 4 hours later the same thing happens and so on.

Waking up in the morning feels like i ran a marathon with a hangover. My muscles feel weak and catabolic.

My girlfriend told me i breathe very shallow when i sleep and sometimes even stop breathing. To me that sounds like sleep apnea, would that make any sense? Anyone here with the same problem?

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@Thinktank I have not had that issue but my husband has sleep apnea and wears a C-PAP machine. I think you should definitely do a sleep study in an overnight sleep lab and get it checked out. Best wishes to you moving forward.

Valentijn

@Thinktank - Can you use a pulse oximeter to see what's going on? Quite a few of us have trouble sleeping in certain positions, and a pulse oximeter can help in determining if you've got a "bad" sleeping position.

Thinktank

@Gingergrrl43 , i've booked an appointment with my pulmonologist. I will absolutely ask for a sleep study because this has been going on for too long. Is it being caused by the lyme disease or something else? Anyway, the only time this sleep apnea-like symptom vanished was during IV ceftriaxone treatment.

@Valentijn , Yes i'm planning to gather some data before doing the sleepstudy. I have been looking around for an oximeter but i want one with a backlog function or one that can stream data continuously to my notebook or phone. Do you know of one with such function? Preferably one that can format the data so it can be used to create a neat graph for better insight like this: http://www.nonin.com/HomeCare/nVISION

Thinktank

I'm probably going to order the CSM50E tomorrow as recommended on the sleep apnea forums.
It records SpO2 and heart rate.