• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Welfare-related deaths in the UK: Read and Weep

Countrygirl

This is just so disturbing! How are we to survive............or perhaps we are not intended to?

https://glynismillward189.wordpress.com/2014/11/20/read-it-and-weep/

Updated tragic list of welfare-related deaths of UK’s sick and/or disabled people. This is the tip on the iceberg:

They shall be remembered forevermore.

Avenge the dead. Resuscitate the living. We must fight on for freedom from Westminster’s murderous policies and support the struggle of all Britain’s sick and/or disabled people simultaneously. Saor Alba.

People, we can't just take this anymore. Many of us are not fit to fight but those of us that are must do what we can. Sign e-petitions, write e-mails to our MP's or, as I have decided to do, go and see my MP directly. I must admit, I was so relieved to just win my appeal that for a while I didn't want to get involved in any form of protest.

Also, I was scared that by protesting I may somehow mark my card when my next WCA came up. But enough is enough. A chronically-ill friend of mine won his appeal recently and the first thing he did was make an MP's appointment. He sees them at the end of this month. He has bigger health issues than me but is determined to make a stand. So I thought it's the least I can do too.

I don't know if I'll be well enough to keep the appointment with my MP on the day as I hate the cold but I will definitely put my points forcibly if I can go.

Open question to PR members: If you were me and had an appointment booked what general points would you make?

Boy, it's tough getting people to reply to my messages. Maybe the CFS-induced problem with my sweat glands transmits itself digitally as well... ;-) Anyway, I saw my MP the other day. I took up the fully alloted time and told him that I thought he was a good MP but I wasn't sure if I could vote for him because of the way his government is treating the disabled. He actually seemed sympathetic and was on board with the issues - not right that people fail the WCA and have no recourse but to go on JSA while appealing etc - but we'll see if anything comes of it. Will keep you posted.

Boy, it's tough getting people to reply to my messages.

I've just replied to two of yours in a row!

There's a lot of threads about. Nice one for going to talk to your MP - hese sorts of experiences might grind them down eventually.

Gingergrrl

Boy, it's tough getting people to reply to my messages. Maybe the CFS-induced problem with my sweat glands transmits itself digitally as well... ;-) Anyway, I saw my MP the other day. I took up the fully alloted time and told him that I thought he was a good MP but I wasn't sure if I could vote for him because of the way his government is treating the disabled. He actually seemed sympathetic and was on board with the issues - not right that people fail the WCA and have no recourse but to go on JSA while appealing etc - but we'll see if anything comes of it. Will keep you posted.

Good for you for going to speak with your MP about this issue. Please don't get discouraged that people aren't responding to your messages and I agree with Esther that there are so many posts right now with the new SEID diagnosis that it is hard to keep track. I have a few threads I wanted to respond to and can't even find them!

alex3619

This has been known for years. After the government published the death rate a few years back, and it had doubled in one year (thousands of extra deaths) they refused to publish any more. That's a deliberate decision to cover up a massive death rate, rather than have a formal public investigation.

This is a human rights atrocity. I have blogged and posted about this before.

There are signs its starting to go this way in Australia too, but its nowhere near as bad as the UK ... yet.

MP wrote back to me on Saturday. His PA at the meeting took down the main points I raised and has listed them in a letter sent to Ian-Duncehead Smith the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions! They said that they were going to do it but I never thought it would happen that quickly, especially with the election coming up.... Anyway, we'll see what IDS comes back with but one of the main was that people who are found fit for work on WCA tests should still qualify for ESA until the appeal process is complete, instead of being cut off and then have to go through the harrowing hoop-jumping of applying for JSA and making themselves available for work they can't do!

Will keep you posted further.

PS Did I mention that my MP said that they have had a LOT of complaints about WCA tests and benefit sanctions? Maybe we are finally getting through to them....

Hi all. Got the letter from Ian Duncan-Smith. Basically, they batted back my questions with bland answers and talked about the major review by Dr Litchfield in late 2014. The report was encouraging (for those that don't know about it here it is: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-work-capability-assessment-28-november-2014/) but it didn't directly answer my questions. One bit of useful information they did give was a link to the most recent table of the outcome of tribunal cases (like mine). Here's that link: https://www.gov.uk/government/stati...e-statistics-quarterly-july-to-september-2014 (Excel document - table 2.7)

Right now I can't be bothered to continue with this. I had a mini-crash and still have lots to do before this WCA merry-go-round may start again for me later in the year. But if I do write back to them, I will ask them how they can justify so many cases (almost half) being overturned on appeal and if they really think this is an efficient use of taxpayers money as the government has to pay for tribunal cases. At least I managed to pile on the pressure a bit more....