• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wessely congratulates himself again

jimells

Is he seriously trying to suggest that if you've got an infection, finding out what the pathogen is isn't going to help you?
His capacity for ignorance in this disease is endless.

There is no way that he can ever admit that an actual biochemical medical treatment could be effective, since that completely negates his silly theory that our "bad thoughts" are keeping us ill. Although I kinda recall he has left himself an escape hatch with the idea that if an actual medical treatment works, then we don't have ME/CFS.

chipmunk1

There is a person claiming Wessely diagnosed her and was pivotal in her "recovery" yet when you look at her twitter feed, she is currently in an ME relapse/crash. This is my main problem with psychiatry: brainwashing patients since time immemorial to consider themselves recovered in spite of ongoing significant, life-altering symptoms.

This is how mind over matter works..

If you don't know how to treat an illness which mostly consists of subjective symptoms you can always try to brainwash the victim.. if they want to be brainwashed you will have temporary improvements or even "recoveries". The long-term outcome however will often be sad and tragic.

I feel sorry for everyone who gets scammed by this, shame on all doctors and therapists who don't do long-term follow ups.

Last edited:

chipmunk1

I'm not particularly au fait with Twitter but I had a look at some tweets on his page about the article and from a quick look they were disagreeing quite politely rather than 'attacking'. Wonder why he feels the need to use such terms.

Humans are hardwired to believe what authorities say.

chipmunk1

“If you have been knocked over by a car in a hit-and-run accident, learning its number plate won’t help you,” he says.

Well this is when you know that you have been hit by a car.

If you wake up feeling like dying not knowing what's wrong with you better figure that out as soon as possible.

alex3619

umm... Is anybody else wondering what the weasel is going to do after the just published P2P draft doesn't exactly praise his work in our field?
I am expecting some press releases or another interview with a friendly reporter. Or maybe some public relations statements from other "friendly" sources.

So yes, I have been thinking about this. The P2P is vague enough that I am sure they can take pieces and emphasize those.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
“If you have been knocked over by a car in a hit-and-run accident, learning its number plate won’t help you,” he says.

It sure will help the police, lawyers, and insurance companies working on your behalf.

Wessely assumes the cause or trigger is no longer relevant? For all we know it could be highly relevant.

Time will tell if Wessely's analogy is wrong, when the etiology is known, we can then judge whether knowing it "won't help".

Last edited:

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Sadly, Goldacre is one of Wessley's little gang. A member of the RCPsychs, and a gleeful propagator of slander against ME patients.

https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/105685203598581760

ben goldacre ‏@bengoldacre

22 Aug 2011

Chronic Fatigue extremists persecute researchers whose results they don't like http://bbc.in/qsxAX1 http://bit.ly/ozMyJj

Ironically, his current background image is "I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that"

Indeed.

ktAFgCjH.jpeg

And ...

https://twitter.com/pourmecoffee/status/544593715969671169

pourmecoffee @pourmecoffee Dec 15 [2014]

My 2014 Photo of Year: Lazy Bears Rip Apart Straw Man. The perfect metaphor for Twitter. (Reuters Stringer)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B47JGV0IUAIs0kv.jpg

B47JGV0IUAIs0kv.jpg

Last edited:

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The Independent said:
When does sadness become depression? When does shyness become social phobia? When does a bookish kid, as I was, become Asperger’s? You have to be dull if you get bored by these.

Oh dear... Wessely is excited about drawing arbitrary lines.

Ren

Is pretending to fight against the same thing you're actually promoting a known propaganda tactic?

Pretending to be against stigma while promoting extremely stigmatizing ideas.
Pretending to be helping patients while promoting policies and treatments that cause harm.
Pretending to be on the side of science while ignoring the biomedical literature on ME/CFS.

Related:

"Deception in animals is the transmission of misinformation by one animal to another, of the same or different species, in a way that propagates beliefs that are not true...

Some animals may use tactical deception, with behavior that is deployed in a way that other animals misinterpret what is happening to the advantage of the agent. Some of the evidence for this is anecdotal, but in the great apes in particular, experimental studies suggest that deception is actively practiced by some animals...

Tactical deception (also referred to as functional deception) has been defined as 'acts from the normal repertoire of [an] agent, deployed such that another individual is likely to misinterpret what acts signify, to the advantage of the agent'. In other words, it is the active use of communicative or display skills already employed by the organism in order to mislead another individual. It has been specified in some studies that this is an intraspecific behavior, meaning that it occurs between members of the same species. Most other kinds of deception are meant to fool members of a different species.

Tactical deception can also be achieved when the deceiver withholds information by failing to perform an expected action, such as giving a warning call [reporting harms??] when danger is observed. This sort of deception can be costly to the user in that tactical deception mostly occurs in social animals which may lose trust of fellow group-members when their deceit is discovered..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deception_in_animals

chipmunk1

i wonder how S.W treatments sessions went when he still saw patients. :D

P: I feel very ill and fatigued.

S.W: No you aren't ill.

P: Yes i am. I feel very sick.

S.W: You feel sick but you are not sick.

P. I am.

SW: No you are not.

P: I... I..

SW: No!

P: So i am not ill?

SW: Yes

P: But why do i..?

P. Do i..?

alex3619

Tactical deception (also referred to as functional deception) has been defined as 'acts from the normal repertoire of [an] agent, deployed such that another individual is likely to misinterpret what acts signify, to the advantage of the agent'.

There is a strong case that this occurs in the PACE trial, due to use of deceptive/misleading terminology. What cannot be known is if this is a systemic flaw in the methodology and those who practice it, or deliberate. I do have my suspicions though.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
As opposed to training from birth to BELIEVE, OBEY, and especially, DON'T THINK?

That's what politicians like - a compliant public. They must also be kept busy, hence the 'work ethic' (although I believe that this may have been a Methodist Christian idea). They must also be convinced that there is an enemy amongst them which is an easy target, to keep them busy chattering about blaming these vulnerable groups for all their problems.