• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what are the molecular changes from overexertion

Aerose91

I ask because every time I overexert, be it physical activity or mental stimulation, it damages my brain further and every time so far this damage has been permanent. I don't just get increased brain fog or things like that- I can literally feel parts of my brain shutting down and so far they have never come back on even slightly. After a SPECT it was speculated that I have widespread mitochondrial damage in my brain.

So what is the biomechanical process of overexertion? Is this something that is even known? And what changes once that happens? Why is it that (for me, so far) once you have damaged certain cells from overexertion they don't recover at all. Is overexertion commonly permanent damage to cells or nerves?

ahmo

@Aerose91 I'm really sorry to hear about your brain. The piece of the puzzle I've been most involved with at present is the Nitric Oxide cycle, NO/ONOO-. I posted some links on a thread. I was able to get a lot out of the vid by watching it in small bites. The strategies I'm now using to reduce oxidative stress, ie. over exertion, are those listed by Pall, either on the website, or in slides during the last 20" of the vid.

There are a couple other threads at present talking about exertion. You might look at threads @Kimsie has been posting.

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...isease-martin-pall-website.34969/#post-550187

Aerose91

@ahmo

Thanks, that's interesting. Are you suggesting that the depletion of NO is what causes the damage to cells after exertion? By your theory is this repairable?

ahmo

I can't answer about damage. Or whether it's only about the biochemical overload in the moment, in particular of peroxynitrite. Pall's talking about how to correct for multiple interlocking systems that have become enmeshed in vicious circles. I only have just enough understanding to have successfully added in a number of his supp recommendations.

Martial

I wouldn't take any doctors opinion as a notion of absolute truth. Having hypo perfusion in a spect scan albeit very severely can just be inflammation or low blood flow from a multitude of things. Nobody really has any idea how to accurately read or decipher info from them yet, SPECT technology is very recent tech with not a lot of specialization behind it yet. There is no way to prove based off those if any of these issues are permanent, maybe progressive worsening until treating the underlying cause completely but not forever.

Have you done any protocol yet to address the Lyme, Mold, and other compounded pathogens you mentioned before? Hope you can address all these issues ASAP and get your life back man!

Aerose91

I may have been a little misleading by saying permanent. I meant permanent up until now. As in, since the damage has happened nothing has improved even remotely and that was almost 2 years ago now since my first period of overexertion.

When the doc was reading my SPECT I asked him about inflammation, Lyme etc. and he said it didn't jump out to him as inflammation but rather mitochondrial disease. I know that's not gospel but it's something. I obviously have low grade brain inflammation.

I'm going to the desert in March and am going to start everything once I'm there. I want to know I have full control over my environment and I've addressed everything to maximize my chances of success- it's been 4 years of degrading health at this point with nothing having any effect so I'm going into this not leaving any stoned unturned, however small it may be.

Right now I'm testing out all the supplements that I will be taking once out there to make sure I don't have any poor reactions to any of them and if so, find a replacement so once I'm there I can hit the ground running. I'm still waiting for my follow up appt with my doctor about another recent positive Lyme test to see what his suggestions are but he isn't the type to spend much time talking to you so I'm usually left rather confused.

Martial

I may have been a little misleading by saying permanent. I meant permanent up until now. As in, since the damage has happened nothing has improved even remotely and that was almost 2 years ago now since my first period of overexertion.

When the doc was reading my SPECT I asked him about inflammation, Lyme etc. and he said it didn't jump out to him as inflammation but rather mitochondrial disease. I know that's not gospel but it's something. I obviously have low grade brain inflammation.

I'm going to the desert in March and am going to start everything once I'm there. I want to know I have full control over my environment and I've addressed everything to maximize my chances of success- it's been 4 years of degrading health at this point with nothing having any effect so I'm going into this not leaving any stoned unturned, however small it may be.

Right now I'm testing out all the supplements that I will be taking once out there to make sure I don't have any poor reactions to any of them and if so, find a replacement so once I'm there I can hit the ground running. I'm still waiting for my follow up appt with my doctor about another recent positive Lyme test to see what his suggestions are but he isn't the type to spend much time talking to you so I'm usually left rather confused.

Oh okay, Yeah I just didn't want you to lose hope that you're brain will be like this forever or anything. The stuff you mentioned sounds like a really good plan though and I wish you the best of luck! I hope it actually isn't an issue of mitochodrial disease and instead something that could be more easily re-mediated as well, I mean you at least know you came back for the Lyme and that can mess your brain up lol. Maybe also causing mitochondrial dysfunction?

Anyways just wanted to give support and hope you can eventually reach remission sometime soon!

Aerose91

Thanks bro I appreciate it. How is your progress coming along?

My situation just seems weird due to the fact that this whole disease process is centered in my brain. Whereas overexertion causes most people increased fatigue and neurological issues, it shuts down more parts of my brain. My only guess is that since I got this from encephalitis that's where the most damaged cells are.

I'm curious about what overexertion does to those cells though and if it changes a recovery protocol once they get hit like that. So far I have seen zero recovery from any of the damage in my brain from overexertion. It sucks, lol.