1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

What Is Your Body Temperature? Rethinking 98.6

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by shrewsbury, Dec 29, 2009.

?

What is your average body temperature?

1. Above 99.2 (37.3 C) - I have high fevers most of the time

8 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. 98.6-99.2 (37-37.3 C) - I tend to run a low grade fever

26 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. 98.2-98.6 (36.8-37 C) - My body temperature is in the normal range

10 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. 96.2-98.2 (35.7-36.8 C) - I tend to have a slightly lower body temperature

162 vote(s)
    65.3%
  5. Below 96.2 (35.7 C) - Brrrrrrrr!!!!

16 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. My temperature fluctuates throughout the day &/or changes daily

26 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    I've long wondered if my frequent nightsweats are a fever or something else, so I finally bought a thermometer yesterday and set it next to the bed. Imagine my surprise when I woke up early this morning, hot and sweaty as usual that time of time, and my temp. was only 96.2! What in the world is going on that I could be so cold and feel so hot?

A few hours (and a coffee) later my temp was up to 97.4, and of course I no longer felt hot. At noon I went outside to shovel a tiny bit of the two feet (60 cm) of snow we received overnight. A half-hour later I was done in, and my temp went even lower, at 95.6, while I'm peeling off clothes 'cause I'm too hot!

In a way, it's not a wonder no one believes my symptoms, including the doctors. Hells Bells, I can't believe them myself o_O

L'engle and ggingues like this.
  2. Rolo

Rolo Too ill to twist

Antwerp, Belgium

Your story is actually very similar to mine. Low body temperature when feeling hot, high body temperature when feeling cold. I also have problems with these night sweats. I also call them pressure sweats, because I only sweat at body parts where some pressure is applied. I suppose bad blood flood cause these.

allyb and jimells like this.
  3. I have underactive thyroid (Hashi's) and was so used to seeing a low temp.

Now I have brought my iron levels up and am supplementing with B12 (jarrows Methyl 5000 - I know, but its working for me) plus the right amount of T4/3 my temp is at last an almost perfect 98.6, down to 98.2 but I dont see 97 at all.

If I take too much T3 it tips over towards 99

Maybe the average temp has gone down from 98.6 to 98.2 because PEOPLE ARE NOT being diagnosed with thyroid, B12 deficiency etc etc!!!!

4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I selected 'I tend to have a slightly lower body temperature' as this range is where mine usually falls, but while getting up this morning it was 35.4. I wasn't feeling cold. My temperature doesn't seem to correspond with feeling hot or cold, at least not today or yesterday. Yesterday I had 36.0 during a hot flush, today 36.4 during one.

5. Moxie

Moxie

VA
    I usually live in the low to mid 97's. I recently had a terrible cold with sweats, chills, aches..I felt febrile, but my temp was only 96.4. I just decided I was morphing into a reptile. Interesting to know this is common here.

6. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    35.5 -36.5 for me right now. I'm somewhat anemic in the last month though. I would like to raise my average temperature so it is at least over 36.

7. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    WHen i wake up it's around 35 to 35.2 and then it raises to 36 to 36.5 , still too low...

8. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I don't understand how when I am hot, really hot, the skin on my stomach is very cold ? very weird.

9. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    I get different temperature perceptions in different parts of the body too.

Something very unusual has happened today. Having had a low temperature since getting ME - as far as I know - today it tested twice as 37.9 degrees C! Yesterday it went as low as 35.3.

I have quite a bad headache, ditto yesterday, and felt unusually ill yesterday. Feel pretty lousy today to due to the headache. I rarely get them.

Could this be the first fever since getting ME?

rosie26 likes this.
  10. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I hope it passes soon MeSci and you feel back to your better self again. :cat:
    Remember to use cold compresses on your forehead to get the heat out of your head, it will ease the nausea too.

11. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Thanks, Rosie. Much better today...so far.

I was actually feeling cold at times. I had thought that if it was an infection breaking through I might need to throw everything I could at it, including fever. Whilst 37.9C is not dangerously high for a normal person, it is certainly more than this ME body is used to, and maybe it was just struggling to cope due to unfamiliarity/maladaption.

Due to some of the other symptoms I am going to see if I can get a brain scan - well - going to see the doc next week in the hope he will suggest it anyway! It might be very interesting.

rosie26 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.