• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

When does overmethylation stop?

boo85

I've finally been able to take B12 every day for the past few weeks, without too many side effects that I was having before, such as twitching when drifting off to sleep. Adding in the folic acid really helped.

I currently take around 50mcg methylfolate, then an hour later usually about 125 - 250mcg of methyl B12.

There have been a few times though where the reaction to the folate + B12 has been bad, after taking it for a more than 4 days in row. Such as nausea, can't concentrate, anxiety, a real "wired" feeling, body weakness.

During the night I felt so nauseous and couldn't sleep properly. Kept having a weird dreams with a bit of a fever. So then when it got really bad, I'd take B3 (niacin), about 60mcg and I'd feel better an hour later.

I usually need to take niacin about once a week, then I'd take a break with the B12 and folate for one day. Then I'd start the B12 + folate again, then the wiredness would get too much, then I'd have to take niacin 5 - 7 days later. Rinse and repeat.

The thing is, I don't want to keep taking niacin because it could be stopping my healing and stopping the B12 and folate from doing its thing. I also want to increase my threshold to B12 and folate so then I can increase the dose, gradually, up to 1000mcg of B12 per day (+ 250mcg methylfolate), so my body and mind has a chance to actually repair itself, which I don't know if these small enough doses will do...

Also, being through a bad depression this year, I want to keep on the B12 and folate so that my chemistry balance in my brain can get balanced out, and hopefully I'll be happier. So I really don't want to take niacin too often, but the reaction gets to be too much sometimes. So it's a balance between taking enough B12 + folate to tackle depression, so I don't slip into it again, and taking a little enough amount that I won't get overmethylation symptoms.

Does overmethylation fade away over time? What should I do?

BadBadBear

If you are overmethylating, then titrate down. Or try HB12 instead.

I know your goal is to take more MB12, but overmethylating is not going to help, right? Pushing yourself into not sleeping and weakness is a really clear sign that you are taking too much and moving backwards.

sregan

Since you are COMT ++ you might do better with HB12. Also...

"The (+) form is less active; therefore dopamine levels will be elevated and there will be an excess of SAMe and other methyl groups (not all bad as this will protect you from toxins and viruses and lessen your need for BH4 and metal detoxification) and you will be sensitive to methyl donors and foods/supplements that raise dopamine."

From here

Another thing I"m wondering, are you taking AB12 also? My first few attempts I had some success but ultimately failed. When I added ACBL and very small dose of LCF I did better.

I am currently titrating up my MFolate and CBL's and the first thing that has disappeared as a symptom is my brain fog. Everything is not roses yet but that is a must as I can work much easier without that handicap.

boo85

@BadBadBear @sregan @pela

Thank you for your input everyone.

Two days ago I took 100mcg methylfolate with 250mcg B12 (my highest dose in a long time.)

I didn't get any side effects from that high of a dose, luckily. Except that night, I woke up disorientated with a lot of anxiety/panic but was able to sleep it off.

Then last night I slept better and am feeling happier today.

It's just hard to know whether too little B12 is causing depression, or the reaction (overmethylation, low potassium), is causing it. I'm a bit hesitant to go with an even lower B12 dose because I don't want to be depressed.

I might take 100mcg methylfolate and 250mcg B12 every second or third day and see how that goes.

I was just wondering, for those that did go on lower doses than that, how long were you on it before you were able to titrate up? Weeks? Months? How much did you titrate up by? What dose are you on now?