• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

When Potassium Doesn't Stop Palpitations

gracee41

I've had non-stop palpitations and shortness of breath since stopping methyl transdermal B a month ago. The methylation process had obviously started up due to the symptoms I was having. It evidently was also enough to send me from hypothyroid to hyperthyroid. I had to reduce my dosage of natural thyroid just so I could sleep at night. That helped tremendously. However, I am still having rapid palpitations all day 24/7.

I completely stopped taking my thyroid med for a couple of days to see if that would help. It didn't make a difference in the palpitations so I resumed taking it. I know it has to be my potassium. Whenever I take potassium capsules, my breathing gets better and palps aren't as bad. However, I can't seem to take enough of them to get complete relief. They start to hurt my stomach after a while.

I went to my health food store and bought potassium chloride in the powdered form. That's the only powdered form they had or any store around here has. Anyway, I mixed 3 doses (1095mgs) with water and powdered coconut water. I can tell it helps but still having palps. Breathing is much, much better.

I'm currently taking B12 Hydroxy 1000mcg per day. Should I cut back on the B12 dosage for now? I know it's different for everyone, but how will I know when I reach the correct amount of potassium for me daily? I also take 1000iu's of Vit D, 500mgs of calcium, and several sprays of transdermal magnesium oil throughout the day. The palps and shortness of breath are driving me crazy. The palps keep me up at night. I use an inhaler so I can tolerate the shortness of breath.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Good questions. I had the experience of going from hypothyroid (and taking natural thyroid) to becoming hyperthyroid in just a few months. For me the result was severe Afib. Two days off natural thyroid may not be enough to clear the T3 (?). My thyroid tests showed such a hyper situation that my doc told me to stop natural thyroid all together.

I do take potassium but can't speak to that part of your post.

Hope you find an answer,
Sushi

Gondwanaland

My educated guess here is if you don't want to take more potassium, cut back on the B12.
Most people do better on potassium gluconate powder. I personally have stomach sensitivity to any form.

Victronix

If you are prone to palpitations the B-12 can cause those when you are first starting to take it. I had a similar thing of non-stop heart palps and the two culprits were too much Synthroid and too little Vitamin D. After I was found to be very low D I started taking it and that made a big difference. But you are already taking 1000 iu, so . . . that seems unlikely.

Are you sweating at night? For me that was a strong indicator of too much thyroid. For quite awhile my thyroid was dysregulated and I would get heart palps and soak the bed in sweat. Thyroid can exacerbate everything else and B-12 can change how much thyroid you need. Have you had your level checked?

I also got some breathing difficulties with B-12 and thyroid -- no fun at all.

* I would get thyroid tested and consider reducing the dosage, rather than stopping.

* I would stop B-12 for a few days, see how the breathing / palpitations go, and then after you've added some more nutrients and things seem more calm, start in at half the amount you were taking, at 500. If that starts palpitations again, if they are persistent, stop again, wait a few days, and then try an even smaller dosage, 250.

* I would add a multi-mineral, 2x a day, i.e., Jarrow Mineral Balance, Bone-up, etc. Those can really help calm things.

* I would add a B-multi (Jarrow B-Right, etc) or take a few of the other Bs separately at low dosages -- B1, B2, biotin, niacin, etc. -- those are necessary to offset the B-12 stimulation.

* If you have any stomach issues, potassium gluconate is best. That's here - http://www.iherb.com/now-foods-potassium-gluconate-100-pure-powder-1-lb-454-g/13939

* Make sure to eat bananas and high potassium foods throughout the day, and consider doubling the amount of coconut water you are currently drinking. You want to really saturate your body in minerals and potassium to make sure it has what it needs.

What I ended up having to do with B-12 was just take tiny doses and increase in tiny doses at a time. It takes about 1 - 2 weeks to adjust each time you increase, but you can just slowly and carefully do that.

Having all the other nutrients in place to offset that stimulation is important, so stopping gives you a little time to start some of those.

Gondwanaland

Are you sweating at night? For me that was a strong indicator of too much thyroid. For quite awhile my thyroid was dysregulated and I would get heart palps and soak the bed in sweat.
Taking 1/3 capsule of electrolyte before bed solved this problem for me (and stopping B12), and a single dose of 10,000 iu of vit A restored my sleep.

acer2000

Not sure what is going on, but I have found drinking unflavored pedialyte helps get my electrolytes back in balance. Also, might it be magnesium that you need (instead of or in addition to potassium)? Have you had an EKG?

It was my understanding that heart palpitations and shortness of breath can also be a symptom of low blood pressure. It's confusing because tachycardia happens in hyperthyroidism, but the heart can beat fast for different reasons. Also remember that potassium affects your blood pressure. Consider tapering off your caffeine use (if you use caffeine) as diuretics also affect the kidneys and in turn affects blood pressure.

gracee41

I only took 1/2 of my B12 tablet yesterday morning. The heart palps and shortness of breath were gone by last night. Obviously, the amount of B12 is the problem. I know it was mentioned I stop B12 and try again in a few days. However, I'm thinking it might work better to keep taking a small amount and work up over a period of time. I'm only going to take 1/4 a tablet today. How long could it take for my body to adjust?

Low potassium is still an issue as I'm having a little shortness of breath this morning. Having no palps though. From everything I've read on here, that is something I will deal with forever. I did order the Potassium Gluconate powder yesterday. Potassium Chloride tastes pretty nasty even mixed with coconut water. I do eat bananas every day as well along with at least 32 ounces of the coconut water. As mentioned before, I use transdermal magnesium oil.

I do wonder if I'll need to go back to my regular dose of thyroid med now that I will be taking such a low dose of B12. I will just wait for symptoms I suppose. It is tiring to say the least. I will check into the other B vitamin supplements Victronix mentioned. I see my doctor next Monday which can't come soon enough.

Lynn_M

Gracee41 and Sushi,

The T3 in natural thyroid supplements (e.g. Armour and Naturethroid) will clear out within a few days. However, those supplements are about 85% T4, and it takes at least 4 weeks for T4 in them to clear out. So not seeing a difference in palpitations or AF after stopping a natural thyroid supplement for just a few days is not a good test of whether someone has become hyperthyroid after starting methylation supplements.

I started experiencing intermittent AF after starting methylation supplements. I lowered my Naturethroid dose by 1/2 grain and the AF eventually went totally away. The methylation pathways do show a connection between methylation and thyroid functioning.

Gondwanaland

I am sorry it took me so long to put 2 and 2 together. You might be having ammonia issues. What helped me was stopping all supps, oral magnesium supplementation (I was comfortable with 600mg daily for a month) and sodium bicarbonate baths.

Some sources recommend molybdenum, arginine, ornithine and yucca root extract for lowering ammonia, charcoal can help also.

What I personally use are magnesium, sodium bicarb and Lysine (because my diet is already high in arginine).

If you feel that your issue isn't hyperthyroidism, you liver might be overloaded and not be properly converting T4 into T3.

CBS and MTHFR A198C SNPs predispose to elevated ammonia.

gracee41

I've been on WP Thyroid (1/2 grain) for several months. It has made the difference between life and death for me. I felt I was going to die on Synthroid. That's how bad I felt. The very day I started WP, I could tell a positive difference. After a week, I felt wonderful. Then, my doc prescribed the methyl b cream for me. After three days of using that, crazy symptoms showed-up. Things have not been right since I stopped using it.

I do understand about the life of T4 in the body. However, there is no doubt I needed to reduce my dosage after starting the B12. Once I did, my palps slowed down in speed and the sweating and flushing stopped. I definitely will continue taking the WP at a reduced dosage though unless my lab work shows something else or I start feeling hypo. Although, it's difficult to tell what I'm feeling at times.

I never thought about ammonia being an issue but absolutely will look into that shortly. I am CBS C699T (+/+) and MTHFR A1298C (+/-).

alice111

@gracee41 did you ever do the lab tests to see if it was thyroid? I have been having very similar symptoms, and I was CONVINCED II was Hyper with too much thyroid and I needed to lower my dose, but then labs cam back I was super HYPO.... So I was so confused :s

gracee41

@gracee41 did you ever do the lab tests to see if it was thyroid? I have been having very similar symptoms, and I was CONVINCED II was Hyper with too much thyroid and I needed to lower my dose, but then labs cam back I was super HYPO.... So I was so confused :s
What I've found is that I'm deficient in B12 and I was hypo as well. Also, I suspect I have adrenal issues and am waiting for the test results from a 24 hr cortisol saliva test. I have increased my B12. I'm also taking a B complex, magnesium, calcium, vitamin d, selenium, and high dose vitamin c. I feel much better. However, I have developed high BP and pulse with all of this. Again, this could be adrenals causing it. Never had high BP before.

SDSue

Southeast
I had the experience of going from hypothyroid (and taking natural thyroid) to becoming hyperthyroid in just a few months. For me the result was severe Afib. Two days off natural thyroid may not be enough to clear the T3 (?). My thyroid tests showed such a hyper situation that my doc told me to stop natural thyroid all together.
What precipitated the rapid change? I know some experience this as a result of LDN, but my T3 needs have risen significantly (doubled) since starting LDN and AV.

Gondwanaland

I had that as well when my B12 dose was too high for my low thyroid to handle, I even lost weight rapidly with no change in my thyroid hormones as per lab tests.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
What precipitated the rapid change? I know some experience this as a result of LDN, but my T3 needs have risen significantly (doubled) since starting LDN and AV.

I don't know!? I was doing a whole protocol so I can't identify what made the change. Methylation treatment could have been part of it as this has often been reported.

Sushi

Gingergrrl

I was not able to tolerate the methylation supplements (gave me tachycardia, insomnia, agitation) and had severe over-methylation episode. I don't think these protocols are for everyone even though I know they help a lot of people. I don't think anyone should force a protocol on themselves if it is causing bad side effects IMO.