• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

WHO classification of ME/CFS (ICD10: G93:3) - House of Lords question

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
But, according to key members of the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative, asking such questions is "harassment"?

Behind the scenes: Setting up the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative (UK CMRC)

The Young ME Sufferers Trust (Tymes Trust)

August 2014

http://bit.ly/1vSRhOI

https://www.dropbox.com/s/92m09l9tq55pihh/Behind the Scenes - Research Collaborative.pdf?dl=1

In the run-up to the full formation and launch of the Collaborative, a meeting was recorded by the Science Media Centre (SMC)'s outgoing head of Mental Health (details below). In attendance were key persons now involved with the Collaborative. Under their heading 'Harassment' (of researchers) they list:

- Freedom of Information Requests.

- Complaints to the GMC and various institutions.

- Parliamentary Questions.

[...]

At the end of January a meeting was held at which 'harassment' of researchers was discussed.

[...]

Harassment:

- Harassment is most damaging in the form of vexatious FOIs.

- Complaints are also causing problems. Researchers are still dealing with complaints about them to the GMC.

- House of Lords Debates on CFS/ME can result in Parliamentary Questions which often require detailed responses.

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
Last edited:

Min

The United Kingdom as a member state of the World Health Organization (WHO) is expected to comply with the WHO Nomenclature Regulations 1967 and is required to use the most current version of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD-10) for reporting cause of death and disease for compiling and publishing mortality and morbidity statistics. As such all providers of National Health Service funded care are required to submit ICD-10 codes for national reporting.

So why has the UK defied the WHO classification for the past thirty years and treated our neurological illness as psychosomatic (harming tens of thousands of patients), and why do the charities in the Collaborative chose to work with the very doctors responsible for this outrage?