• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do I keep getting worse?

Critterina

@Critterina, clearly you understand this a WHOLE lot better than I do !! You're correct that I'm -/- for C677T. So that means I can make my own methylfolate, but I can't use it, eh? So you recommend reducing mfolate (opposite of what I'm hearing elsewhere) to see if I've gotten overloaded with mfolate. Very interesting.
So, first let me say "NOT TRUE! NOT TRUE" to the part about my understanding it a WHOLE lot better than you do. I may understand just enough to be dangerous. :eek:

Then let me say: Yes, you got it! You can make methylfolate, but all the exit routes are blocked, by your MTHFR A1298C and your MTRR A66G. So, when you take methylB12, you can use the methylfolate for the methyl cycle (homocysteine to methionine, facilitated by the MTR enzyme, which thankfully works just fine in you. So that part of the cycle is good, but it's the biopterin stuff that has me worried.

When you take methylfolate, it temporarily elevates the methylfolate available, pushing through the A1298C, to have more activated biopterin which makes neurotransmitters. Usually this is a good thing, but depending on other things that I don't understand too well, it makes some neurotransmitters more than others. That's where I'm thinking your agitation, twitchy, achy, woozy, hyper-ish, exhausted, just yuck feeling comes from - not a set amount of neurotransmitters, but an imbalance. I know that your serotonin breakdown is slowed (MAO A +/+), so that maybe more dopamine gets made, since you'd already have a high(er) serotonin from reduced breakdown. And then, it could also be limited by your tryptophan and tyrosine stores. Tryptophan (for serotonin) has to come from the diet, but tyrosine (for dopamine) can be made by your body. Who knows what is actually going on there?

So, do I recommend reducing your methylfolate? Well, maybe. To me, 4-5 mg/day seems pretty high. Do you space it throughout the day? I'll tell you what you might try: How many doses do you take it in? Take the same total amount but spread it out during the day into more smaller doses. Try at least 2x or 4x as many doses. See what that does. (Only if you want, of course.) Then, if that seems to help, not changing anything else, try incrementally reducing your total dosage.

Some people here report that it's best for them to take methylfolate in the morning because it does sort of spin them up. (not me, but some.) Maybe plan to finish your methylfolate doses at least a few hours before bed? That's a separate experiment, though, OK?

garyfritz

So, first let me say "NOT TRUE! NOT TRUE" to the part about my understanding it a WHOLE lot better than you do.
Well then let me say "YES TRUE! YES TRUE! Neener neener!!!" :lol:

The effects you're explaining about how the different SNPs work and how they effect the various pathways show a much deeper understanding than I have. I have the fuzzy understanding that my +/+ A1298C messes up my ability to use normal forms of B12 somehow, but I haven't gotten much past that. I have nearly ZERO understanding of the various pathways, what they do, etc. As a result of a quick trip to Wikipedia I now know a little more about biopterin than I did, but still not enough to understand what to do about it.

If you (or anyone else!!) know of a good and readable reference that explains this stuff for the non-biochemist, I would love to hear about it...

You can make methylfolate, but all the exit routes are blocked, by your MTHFR A1298C and your MTRR A66G. So, when you take methylB12, you can use the methylfolate for the methyl cycle (homocysteine to methionine, facilitated by the MTR enzyme, which thankfully works just fine in you. So that part of the cycle is good,
So it sounds like taking mB12 is good. Which makes sense, since it was the first thing that had such a dramatic effect on my sleep issues & other symptoms.

When you take methylfolate, it temporarily elevates the methylfolate available, pushing through the A1298C, to have more activated biopterin which makes neurotransmitters. Usually this is a good thing, but depending on other things that I don't understand too well, it makes some neurotransmitters more than others.
OK, sounds like that should be a good thing too?

That's where I'm thinking your agitation, twitchy, achy, woozy, hyper-ish, exhausted, just yuck feeling comes from - not a set amount of neurotransmitters, but an imbalance.
Clarification: the woozy / exhausted / yuck feeling is not a regular occurrence, thank God. It's the aftermath of a night when I lie awake for hours unable to sleep because of wired feelings, possibly twitches (though even on bad nights I seem to have less / milder cases of those than I did pre-B12) or RLS, etc. For some reason, on some nights my B12/etc the day before doesn't prime me for a good night, and on those nights a middle-of-night dose of B12 doesn't tend to help like it usually does. Thankfully those bad nights are a lot more rare than they were before I started working with B12 &etc. I don't know whether the woozy yuck is the result of a bad night, or if it's a symptom of the same thing that causes the bad night, or what.

I know that your serotonin breakdown is slowed (MAO A +/+), so that maybe more dopamine gets made, since you'd already have a high(er) serotonin from reduced breakdown.
So does the MAO A +/+ have an effect similar to an SSRI ?? By breaking the serotonin down slower as opposed to slowing the reuptake?

I've always assumed I had low dopamine, due to my somewhat low-energy / lethargic / phlegmatic nature, my fairly low level of joie de vivre, etc. I'd like to be just a bit more giddy and excitable.

So, do I recommend reducing your methylfolate? Well, maybe. To me, 4-5 mg/day seems pretty high. Do you space it throughout the day? I'll tell you what you might try: How many doses do you take it in?
I usually take it in two doses, morning and bedtime. I don't notice any wind-up from it. I have no trouble going to sleep. If I have trouble sleeping (which as I said is thankfully more rare than it was) it's usually 3-4 hours later, in the middle of the night, 2-4am or so.

(And BTW I normally take my mB12 / adB12 in the afternoon/evening, since evening and night-time is when I typically have the worst issues.)

I'll try spreading my mfolate doses through the day and see if I notice anything.

Thanks for your insights!!

Last edited:

Martial

EDITED TO REMOVE THE GEORGE EBY LINK BECAUSE I THINK IT IS TRYING TO INSTALL A MALICIOUS ADD-ON ON MY BROWSER

I found those statements to be true for me...

izzy

I take all three lol. Also in numbers high enough to address any sort of deficiency. Calcium is definitely a common deficiency since no one drinks milk anymore. There are very few food sources that cover you for thre RDV of calcium each day, vitamin D deficiency also will hamper the use of calcium, as will Vitamin K, also Low Magnesium and Low Potassium can go hand in hand.

Gondwanaland

I take all three lol. Also in numbers high enough to address any sort of deficiency. Calcium is definitely a common deficiency since no one drinks milk anymore. There are very few food sources that cover you for thre RDV of calcium each day, vitamin D deficiency also will hamper the use of calcium, as will Vitamin K, also Low Magnesium and Low Potassium can go hand in hand.
Not to mention the B vits - especially B6 - putting everything in motion and using up magnesium...

izzy

Gondwanaland

I must correct myself here b/c that link wasn't malicious after all. Apparently it was my anti-virus software trying to coax me to upgrade by showing me how its warnings are efficient...o_O

So I do recommend that site which has invaluable information:
http://george-eby-research.com/html/depression-anxiety.html
Details on lenght of treatment and dosage:
http://george-eby-research.com/html/liebscher-magnesium-deficiency.pdf
Magnesium for depression:
http://george-eby-research.com/html/magnesium-for-depression.pdf

izzy

liverock

@Garyfritz

In what seems like years ago, when you opened your original thread I said some of your symptoms sound like gut problems. I still think this is true especially your trouble getting methylation going and maintaining it.

Doctor Ben Lynch on MTHFR.net states methylation will not work if you have Dysbiosis such as candida and SIBO and all his patients have to get their guts in order before doing methylation protocol. Candida and SIBO give off toxins including acetylaldehyde, which is formed from ethanol (alcohol), and clogs up the liver, inhibiting methionine synthase and methylation.

http://mthfr.net/methylation-inhibited-by-candidas-toxin/2012/09/08/

garyfritz

Time flies when you're having fun, eh @liverock ? But it was really only 3-4 months ago!

I do remember your advice, and the HPylori comments. I asked my MD about the HP and she said yes, I tested positive, but most people do. Since I wasn't showing any active symptoms, she felt there was nothing there to treat.

I seriously doubt I have SIBO. The major symptom seems to be bloating, and I never experience that, at all. Ever. If I really pig out at a big fancy dinner I'll feel stuffed, but after stuffing myself like that it's only natural. I don't have any amount of unusual/unexpected bloating, or almost any of the other symptoms. I have maybe a bit more gas than normal, and obviously I have the B12 issues, but that's about it.

I also don't show most candida symptoms. I have athlete's foot very rarely, I tend to be low-energy but there are many possible causes of that, and I have focus / ADD-type issues. No vaginal infections recently. :D No other candida symptoms.

Thanks @Critterina and @Gondwanaland, I'll check out those references!

aturtles

@garyfritz, I was nervous about so much Potassium, too. I got over it, but it took me a bit of experimentation to assure myself it was safe. :) I now take about 3gm a day in addition to food, most of it Potassium Gluconate powder. If I don't, I feel the cost to my body.

Question for all: I have been taking a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc tab (500/250/7.5) -- less magnesium than Dr. Dennis Goodman recommends for my bodyweight (from above link in @ggingues post). I've been having inflammation problems, which Goodman suggests magnesium can address.

Is there any reason *not* to increase my magnesium in this proportion with calc & zinc? I have been adding in zinc in tiny doses (I find zinc can be unpleasant if I cross the too-much line) outside that proportion, but I don't have a good feel for the relationship between the three.

Thank you!

garyfritz

@aturtles, I haven't been very consistent with potassium yet. I am religious with B12, because if I don't have enough, I am *miserable*. (Jangled nerves, RLS-like feelings body-wide, night-time twitching and agitation, too wired to sleep from 2am on, etc.) Lately I have been doing as much as 30+ mg of Country Life 5mg per day, and sometimes that's not enough. (Especially when I have a beer with friends, **SIGH**)

But potassium isn't nearly as clear. Occasionally I get mild just-under-the-radar cramping in my calves. If I'm in bed and lying on my stomach, that shortens the calf muscles and it can trigger mild cramps. But even that happens rarely. So I haven't been taking potassium regularly at all, and when I do take it, it's usually only 100-200mg per day.

What do you experience if you don't take your potassium? Muscle cramps?

whodathunkit

@garyfritz, unless you're willing to experiment with some stuff and open yourself to possibiities that you might have things wrong with you that you haven't yet considered and that your doctor doesn't know about or understand, you may not get the significant improvement you obviously are seeking.

Most people in this day and age do have some degree of gut dysbiosis. You don' have to be diagnosed with SIBO or even exhibit a preponderance of symptoms to have an imbalance of gut flora or other issues that could significantly impact your health.

I never had bloating or any gut issues that I knew of that were not entirely attributable to my long-standing condition of uterine fibroids. Even at that, my bowel issues were minor to non-existent. But when I did get them, they were entirely attributable to the fibroids.

Also worth noting is that I do not have H. Pylori.

However, I wasn't getting the results I wanted from the supplements I was taking. So I kept reading and researching, and one day I decided to experiment with cleaning up my gut. I didn't know anything for sure, but I wanted to feel better so decided, what the hey?

Heavy metal chelation helped with cleaning up my gut, as did a very strictly healthy diet for a while, and a wide variety of probiotics. I also took glutamine, slippery elm, and some other stuff that helps with gut issues. I have experienced significant improvment over the last four years, but it's still an ongoing process. Gotta be ever vigilant against backsliding.

After I treated my gut for a while I realized I probably had had issues for a long time. I felt significantly better the longer I worked on my gut.

Then when I began to take methylfolate "gut rumbles" became one of my primary indicators whether or not I was getting enough methylfolate and whether or not everything was in balance. It all fit pretty well with Freddd's theory of paradoxical methylfolate deficiency and how methylfolate and the Deadlock Quartet work on the deepest levels of healing where we need it most. Now my gut seems to be functioning more like it did when I was younger. I'm really happy about that. My fibroids haven't changed, but my gut functions are stable and my overall health much, much improved.

Point being, @liverock has a good point and IMO he's very likely right. It's something to consider.

garyfritz

@garyfritz, unless you're willing to experiment with some stuff and open yourself to possibiities that you might have things wrong with you that you haven't yet considered and that your doctor doesn't know about or understand, you may not get the significant improvement you obviously are seeking.
Oh I'm not just open to it, I **ASSUME** that's true. It's just tough to do anything about things you haven't considered yet and your doctor doesn't know about! :D I'm learning little by little.

So far I'm working mainly with B12 &etc because I have some slight understanding of that, and more importantly I get direct immediate feedback when I try things -- at least the B12. Less so with methylfolate, no reaction at all to LCF. Meanwhile I'm very slowly digging my way through the mountains of distributed (and sometimes conflicting) information, trying to figure out what might apply to me and what I should do about it.

So I kept reading and researching, and one day I decided to experiment with cleaning up my gut. I didn't know anything for sure, but I wanted to feel better so decided, what the hey?
I think probably the first dietary direction I should work on is reducing ammonia and sulfates. In theory you're supposed to get those in line even before you approach methylation. I have very high levels of ammonia, with CBS +/+, MTHFR A1298C +/+, several NOS +/+ and +/-, all of which drive ammonia and most of which affect sulfates. I need to get some yucca to see if it helps the ammonia levels. I've also noticed that regularly eating eggs (e.g. 2-3 egg omelet every morning) can mess up my sleep, and I wonder if sulfur in the yolks is the cause.

Heavy metal chelation helped with cleaning up my gut,
I had a metals test several years ago and I was in the good range in just about everything. So I don't *think* I have a problem there?

as did a very strictly healthy diet for a while,
Restricted diets will be a challenge. I spend 1-2 weeks every month traveling for business. It's pretty tough to stick with a severely limited diet when you're eating on the road.

whodathunkit

@garyfritz:

The reason I said what I said about "Don't assume" is because in your reply to liverock you seemed to dismiss his comment about fixing your gut out of hand. Like, because your doctor said you didn't have a problem with H. Pylori, or you didn't have a certain symptom of SIBO that you don't need to fix anything to do with your gut. This is not necessarily the case.

Restoring a good balance of healthy bacteria can fix a surprising multitude of issues. I don't know too much about gut bacteria and ammonia but wouldn't be surprised if some problems with sulfur and ammonia were due to gut issues.

The surprising number of things that can be affected by gut dysbiosis is why it's frequently suggested as one of the first lines of treatments when attacking any complex disorder or chronic condition. Clean your gut up for 3- 6 months, and see what symptoms are left to work on. Fix the gut and many things naturally fall into line. I've heard it over and and over again and have experienced it for myself.

That's good news about your metals range. Not all tests are accurate, however. And they may not mean you have no metal issues. Reference ranges for everything are based on sampling "normal" populations. But if every individual in your normal population has (just for example, this isn't real) a high level of arsenic in the blood, then the normal reference range for arsenic will be high.

Same thing is true of B12 (and this is a true example), although conversely. If every person in your "normal" population sample used to develop the reference range of B12 has a low level of it, the reference range established will be low.

Reference ranges don't say anything about optimal functioning, in any case.

However, the chelating/metals remark was made to provoke thought. You can act on it, or not.

Please note I did NOT say a restricted diet helped me. I said "strictly healthy", which means including not overindulging in alcohol or rich processed foods or junk food (my own personal downfall, the cheesburger and fries I had for lunch today was *wonderful*).

If you think strictly healthy is synonymous with restricted, you are sadly mistaken. Restricted means a small number of choices. But I eat a wider variety of food when I'm eating strictly healthy than I do when I'm eating restaurant or junk food.

Again, just throwing stuff at you as food for thought.

garyfritz

So how would you approach improving gut health? I assume the regimen you followed (chelation, slippery elm, etc) is specific to you?

Looking at http://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-perfect-health-5-heal-your-gut, I think I'm on a good track already. I take no antibiotics or NSAIDS. I eat much less processed sugar than most. I use very little seed oils. I tried 100% cutting out all wheat and all other grains, but after staying off them for months with no noticeable change I started re-introducing them. (And I had no change when I started eating them again.) I still eat a lot less than I used to, e.g. I used to eat 2 bowls of whole-grain cereal every morning, plus lots of bread. Now I have a slice or two of bread every day or two, a bit more when I'm traveling. I don't have much stress. (I did about 4 years ago, when I got divorced, but I worked through that.) I get a fair amount of fermentable fiber: oatmeal, fruits/veggies, nuts/seeds, beans, etc. I eat a fair amount of organic yoghurt, but not much kim chee or sauerkraut.

So I think I'm on a pretty good track already. What would you suggest doing next?

whodathunkit

I suggest you research probiotics and see if they're something you want to explore. I hesitate to "tell you what to do" (rather than suggest a couple things then let you figure it out for yourself by trial and research) because like everything we do here, gut supps can cause side effects before things get better.

Then, if I have told you what you should do, I'm sort of responsible for helping you overcome any negative consequences of my advice. That can get gnarly.

For instance, too many probiotics at one time can cause gas, bloating, squeaky squirties, itchy bum hole (this is a clear sign of too much probiotic), etc. Glutamine can also have side effects for some people.

BTW, I can eat grains with no apparent problems, too. BUT...the need for a whole lot of fiber is essentially a myth. Poo is primarily composed of bacteria. Alot of bacteria bulks up your poo just fine. Good balance of the right bacteria + good diet = nice poopies, no matter how much "roughage" you get. Guarantee that. :D

Aaaannnywayyy...the recommendation for lots of fiber is a band aid for the problem of gut bacteria imbalance. It's much easier for medical professionals to recommend metamucil or whole wheat bread than to try to guide someone through the process of rebalancing gut flora. But if the gut flora is wrong, it will become increasingly apparent with age, no matter how much roughage.

Eating yogurt, kefir, or fermented foods was never enough to help me. I would have had to have eaten massively prohibitive quantities of them.

Type of bacteria matters, too. Most yogurts and kefirs have an overabundance of lactobacillus bacterias. Those helped some but results were less than stellar. But when I deliberately added large amounts of bifido bacteria to my regimen (to my knowledge large amounts of bifido bacteria can only be had by supplementation), that's when things really got better, quite quickly. It was like the finishing touch on my gut regimen.

My current favorite probiotic supplements are:

Probulin Colon Support http://probulin.com/products/colon-support/
and
Genestra HMF Intensive http://www.rockwellnutrition.co/hmf_intensive_no_fos_probiotics_by_genestra_30_caps#.VBthrqMU4pk

If I were you I would get a month's supply of each of these, and alternate each brand every day, one capsule per day. This will carry you through two months if you take one cap or the other every single day.

If you have to pick one get the Probulin. It can usually be had from a local health food store. Plus it helped my mother, too, wonder of wonders.

Gut flora are harmless, and even if you get side effects they typically go away after an initial adjustment period, or when you reduce dose, or when you stop.

But you have to decide whether the short-term chance of getting side effects from probiotics is worth the potential long-term benefits of taking them. And then endure the consequences of your choice for a while if it doesn't turn out quite like you hope.

Last edited:

aturtles

@aturtles, I haven't been very consistent with potassium yet. I am religious with B12, because if I don't have enough, I am *miserable*. (Jangled nerves, RLS-like feelings body-wide, night-time twitching and agitation, too wired to sleep from 2am on, etc.) Lately I have been doing as much as 30+ mg of Country Life 5mg per day, and sometimes that's not enough. (Especially when I have a beer with friends, **SIGH**)

But potassium isn't nearly as clear. Occasionally I get mild just-under-the-radar cramping in my calves. If I'm in bed and lying on my stomach, that shortens the calf muscles and it can trigger mild cramps. But even that happens rarely. So I haven't been taking potassium regularly at all, and when I do take it, it's usually only 100-200mg per day.

What do you experience if you don't take your potassium? Muscle cramps?

@garyfritz, my potassium deficit symptoms or flags are 1. heart palpitations, by which I mean a heavy heartbeat, not a faster one; 2. a tired feeling and inability to concentrate that comes over me suddenly.

Now, understand that it took me some time to identify these. I had to train myself to notice these flags, because when one is accustomed to living with deep fatigue, one learns to turn off various signals just to get through the days. :)

My experice with @Freddd's Protocol is that I have had to work on not only my supplementation but also my sensitivities to my body to find out what it is telling me. I am still very much learning to understand this language.

As for potassium, I am sure you've heard this before, but consistency with potassium can make a huge difference in healing. At 30+mg B12 a day, I would think you would need more than 200mg a day. I take NOW Potassium Gluconate mostly. (I started Freddd protocol brands thread here: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/freddd-protocol-brands-and-doses.32600/)

DISCLAIMER: What I'm doing seems to works for *my* system, but I am experimenting on *me*, not on you, and your milage is your mileage. :)

garyfritz

@aturtles, thanks for that. I don't believe I'm showing any overt signs of potassium deficit other than occasional mild cramping in my calves. But it probably makes sense for me to up my intake. I'm preparing a (huge) iherbs order already so I'll add some. I think I'll order one of the 595mg pill forms (from Nature's Way, Nature Made, Rexall Sundown, etc) since that will be a lot more convenient than powder. Those have 99mg of elemental potassium.

I suggest you research probiotics and see if they're something you want to explore. I hesitate to "tell you what to do" ...
Then, if I have told you what you should do, I'm sort of responsible for helping you overcome any negative consequences of my advice. That can get gnarly.
I understand your reluctance, but I don't feel "it's your fault" if a suggestion doesn't work out for me. I understand everyone is different. I'd much rather have a recommendation for something that worked for someone else, rather than guess blindly with no idea of what might work.

Eating yogurt, kefir, or fermented foods was never enough to help me. I would have had to have eaten massively prohibitive quantities of them. Type of bacteria matters, too. ... But when I deliberately added large amounts of bifido bacteria to my regimen ... that's when things really got better, quite quickly.
OK, thanks for that insight. I've tried probiotics in the past but never really knew what to look for, and never stuck with it more than a month or two. I looked at the Probulin and Genestra. Both of them seem rather hard to find, and significantly more expensive than some other options. One major benefit is that they contain inulin to "feed" the bacteria. But I think I'm going to pick something I can add to my iherb order -- probably Healthy Origins. It has about 4x the amount of Bifido as Probulin, and lots more Lacto, at 1/4 - 1/2 the price. Also the Genestra must be refrigerated but the Healthy Origins is shelf-stable.

I have taken L-glutamine in the past and I should probably continue with it. If I *do* have anything going on with the HPylori, L-glutamine is supposed to be protective. It's also supposed to be good for repairing and maintaining the gut lining and healing leaky gut.

whodathunkit

@garyfritz: well, see, there you go. You figured it all out on your own, with just a little bit of noodling. You just needed a teensy push. :D

FWIW, my doctor actually diagnosed me with leaky gut back when I was also diagnosed with adrenal insufficiency. She put me on this product

http://www.iherb.com/Nutricology-Perm-A-Vite-Powder-10-6-oz-300-g/7031#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=perm a vite&rc=2&sr=null&ic=1

Which, as I recall now, is pricey but quite good. I had forgotten about it until I started trying to remember all this stuff, what I had done for my gut. It's been a while. I may do another few rounds of Permavite here in the near future. It's got glutamine, slippery elm, and something called epithelial growth factor that IMO is quite beneficial. I just haven't really thought about it because I'm doing a lot better.

I didn't like the probiotics my doc recommended, though. They were okay but way overpriced and not as effective as, for example, the Probulin. And they cost almost twice as much. I'm really picky when it comes to probiotics, because highest price doesn't necessarily equal any good. Low price doesn't mean much, either, but I do find the higher quality products have a higher price. Probulin WORKS. So does the Genestra.

If you have a Vitamin Discount Center near you, you can pick up the Probulin in a brick & mortar store.

Good luck!

garyfritz

I'll give the Healthy Origins a try. If I don't see good results from that, I'll try the Probulin.

Which raises the question: what ARE good results from a probiotic? You described some signs of overdoing it, but not what a proper and effective dose should do for you. I don't think I have any overt signs of gut problems so I'm not sure what a "good result" would be??

You must live in Tampa/StPete. That seems to be where all the Vitamin Discount Centers are. :)

liverock

@garyfritz

Sorry I missed an alert for me some days ago so Im having to read all the posts from the beginning.

If you have high ammonia then its going to overload your liver and could back up into the brain especially with leaky gut. This can cause Brain problems, so you need to get the liver functioning better before trying to lower ammonia. Try Jarrow Liver Optimiser.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/111814-ammonia-liver-damage/

You seem to say you are ++MTHFR and later switch to - - MTHFR, either way you need to get Homocysteine levels down as they lower B12, as well damage to arteries.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/heart_circulatory/homocysteine_reduction_01.htm

The fact you are++ ACE and ++NOS3 which further damage arteries, and and can cause high BP and coronary heart disease, means you need to prioritise this area. Lipid profile and BP tests should be done by your doctor.

Reading halfway down the Heartfixer page explains the facts of ACE and NOS mutations and some drug ttreatments.

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#ACE: Angiotensin Converting Enzyme